Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old    wildman240            03-24-2004, 11:20 PM Reply   
OK hears the deal. I know everyone for the most part says PP is worth every bit of money and I'm thinking it is but just wanted some input on my way of thinking about this. I have a 24' Cobalt I/O and it has a 496 in it which puts out 375HP, which isn't more then what most inboards put out but I would have to say it's geared much more for the hole shot and mid to top end more then anything. My problem is that even when I'm pulling people and I get up on plain about 20 MPH and try to keep it constant it just seems like it wants to be all or nothing. I mean you take it down the slightest bit and it drops 5 MPH or bump it up a bit and your up 10 MPH. I'm not saying it's a super fast boat but on an inboard you have far more weight most the time for ballest and it's geared lower so it seems easier to control and not as touchy. My question to you that have PP already is do you think that the PP computer is sensitive enough to control that or is there just too much power to be able to keep it accurate. I know a computer can do things better than a human but it just seems like no matter how little I move it it's too much. I don't have a problem spending the 1000 bones just wondering if this makes sense to anyone else and if you think it can control that problem of having too much mid to top end power. Any thoughts or ideas are appriecated. Oh yeah and thank God for spring , bout time it warms up here in Indiana. I was starting to wonder after having snow last week on the first day of spring. Thanks Chris
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-24-2004, 11:29 PM Reply   
try a new prop.
Old     (sw1)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-25-2004, 7:12 AM Reply   
Definitly try a new Prop--I have two differant props for the elevation that I boat at and if I have the high elevation prop on at lower levels it does exactly what you are describing.

--I use a 19 pitch for boating at 3500-6700ft and a 21 pitch for the lower levels

Alot of shops will let you try out a prop with a deposit--just don't bang it up or you will have to pay for it.

Good luck
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-25-2004, 8:32 AM Reply   
I do not believe the problem is with your prop, but with the interaction of the water to the hull and the amount of power needed to maintain that attitude. IOs are not designed to go slow. The attitude of the boat is likely changing. Use a meter to measure the incline of the boat at speed and you will likely find the bow is elevated and trying to settle down changing the amount of powere needed to maintain speed. Each sterndrive and outboard has this feature. It allows for airing out the hull and increased speed, but is a pain at low speeds near the planing speed. PP will help, but may not be able to be perfect at all speeds. This is one of the main reasons for inboard power - the smooth, powerful pull.

You should also experiment with various trim settings. A 4 or 5-blade prop will make the trim more sensitive and allow for greater adjustment potential.

As a last resort, buy an inboard - JK.
Old    ag4ever            03-25-2004, 9:10 AM Reply   
Cobalt is now offering the perfect pass as an option from the factory, so I would imagine it should be good enough for your use.

I would alos bet that what you are experiencing is the boat falling off plane, and then getting back up on plane. Once you are on plane, it takes considerably less power to stay there than it did to get there.

A quick way to find out if it will work, is find a cobalt dealer that has a boat with perfect pass, and take a "test drive" under the premise of buying a new boat. Or if you bought it from them, then they should be more than willing to let you try a perfect pass equiped boat. Then you can buy it from them, and deal with them if you have any problems.

The other thing to keep in mind, even with an inboard, you still have to fiddle with the throtle alot w/o perfect pass. All perfect pass does is lets the computer do the fiddling so you can fiddle with the music.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-25-2004, 12:00 PM Reply   
Perfect Pass will solve your problem. You may have speed variation of 1 MPH here and there, but you are not going to be seeing the 5 MPH bumps.

If you have questions regarding that, you are more than welcome to contact my dealer who has put Perfect Pass on a ton of Cobalts, including 240 and 246's.

Oh yea...you can contact Taylor, Kenny, Ralph or Jim @ 801-572-3999

E.J.
Old    wildman240            03-25-2004, 12:39 PM Reply   
That would be sweet E.J. Where are you guys from?I have thought about an new prop too but I have the Bravo 3 which is dual props and it's a bit of money for that and great for what I do most so I can't just throw a single 4 blade on there. Defeats the purpose really. I know they offer it from the factory so we'll see if it does what I want when I put it on in a couple of weeks. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the comments.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-25-2004, 12:55 PM Reply   
SLC, Utah....Taylor's Boats. I guess they are really in a suburb of SLC....but that is all relative.

Yes, duo-prop is IMO, better than any 4-5 blade prop.

I am sure you will be very happy with the addition of Perfect Pass. I have yet to hear a complaint from someone who has it.

Oh yea and as a side note, I agree with Karl about messing around with your trim level. It will clean up your wake if nothing else.

E.J.
Old    g3revenge            03-25-2004, 1:37 PM Reply   
boats do have a minimum planing speed and it sounds like you are right on the edge.

if a prop and pp doesn't do it for you, try some trim tabs.. it's only money.
Old    wildman240            03-25-2004, 4:56 PM Reply   
Good Point Thomas But if that's the case do you want to give me some. HAHA Anyways I'm sure I'll love perfect pass now I have to just find some of that money and get it put on. I agree with you E.J. about the duoprop it's amazing as such low speeds as far as manuvarubility and stuff like that. Thanks for all the help guys I'll keep you updated when I get it installed. Thanks Chris
Old    pumpkin_head            03-25-2004, 6:35 PM Reply   
Chris, I installed Perfect Pass WB Pro on my I/O. It was really easy and saved me some cash. If your at all handy, you should consider it. I've only had a couple of pulls behind it so far, but the speed control is fantastic on mine. My wife loves it since she can keep an eye out for the crazy people instead of worrying about holdin' the boat speed.
Old     (bigfaceplanter)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-26-2004, 7:54 AM Reply   
Get the Perfect Pass. It can Feather the throttle
like no other. When I watch the servo working the Carb its amazing. It is always working. When
I watch the wake It never changes!!!

I/O's generally need weight in the front. Your boat is massive so it will need plenty of heavy women. (600 lbs. minimum probably more for your boat)

A prop change is also advised for expecting maximum wakeboarding performance out of an I/O.
If you have one of the $$$ DuoProps I'd make this
change last.

I'd get the Perfect Pass first and work from there. I wish I had PP 15 years ago. It would have made all Watersports much more enjoyable.
Old     (bigfaceplanter)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-26-2004, 7:57 AM Reply   
Forgot one thing. Use your Trim. It will make
a World of differnce in Wake Shape.
Old    wildman240            03-26-2004, 11:49 AM Reply   
I use my trim but it brings the nose up sometimes and I try to keep as much of the hull in the water. I don't need to use the trim though becuase I mean the wake is HUGE already. It's like hitting a wall sometimes and I don't want it any bigger and with the duoprop you get a lot of rumble if I may say in the middle of the wake from the props. I'll get some pics. up as soon as I can so you guys get an idea of the wake. Going to get a 600 lb. sac for the locker to push the nose down some more and keep the hull in the water more. I'm sure PP will solve my problems, just can't wait to get back on the water. Thanks
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-27-2004, 9:20 PM Reply   
ive got PP on an I/O and can say it will in fact help your problem alot but more so if you go to a lower pitch prop too, your problem will most surely get worse with more weight in the boat though so id rather add peeps as ballast up front