Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (ilovelake)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-28-2007, 9:08 AM Reply   
I'm a junior at the University of Texas and I've just taken a summer internship with BNSF (a railroad company). They're allowing me to state a preference of location, the options look something like this: Stockton CA, Seattle, Portland, Denver, Bakersfield CA, LA CA, Chicago, St. Louis, Salt Lake City, and a few more. Right now I'm thinking
1) Stockton
2) Denver
3) Portland
But I need to know what the wakeboarding scene is like in each of those places and the others if y'all think they are better. Please speak up if you have an opinion, I need to reply back to the company asap, thanks!
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-28-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
I live in Portland, Oregon. The wakeboarding scene is great IMO. The best place to ride in Portland is the Willamette River. Its glassy until about 12:00 or so depending on how many boats are there. It's never choppy because of wind. There are lots of trees to protect from that. Portland is Great. Do you have a boat?
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-28-2007, 9:19 AM Reply   
There are also a few dealers/boardshops. Active watersports, bridge city watersports, and a few others that I forgot the names to.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-28-2007, 9:24 AM Reply   
I lived in Denver for a few years a while back and there weren't many places to ride. The Reservoir was always crazy busy, but Denver was just a great city to live in otherwise. I loved it there.
Old     (keith2002)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-28-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
Stockton. There's nothing like the Delta!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-28-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
Of course I am biased.... But I LOVE living in SLC and will never leave by choice. Summer being my favorite time of year.

That is not to say that it is any better than any place you listed.... Just one vote for SLC.

Side note, Wakeboarding Mag did a article on the SLC wake scene last Summer/Fall.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-28-2007, 9:51 AM Reply   
Oh...and before I get a "Wakeboarding Mag did an article on X in year XXX"... the point was more, you can read about the scene in that issue, not that they were saying it was better than ANY CITY LISTED ABOVE....or any city not listed above....
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-28-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
As a side note, I think any of your top 3 would probably work. Denver does seem to get a lot of local flack for usable water..... BUT....

KEY ISSUES….

If you don’t have a boat….who is going to take you out….and is that going to be “regular.” BIG issue before giving the commitment. Having GREAT water is one thing, getting out on the water on a regular basis to ride on someone boat is another.

Off the water, not at work scene. Only so much time is going to be on the water or work regardless. So there better be some other things about the area that you find appealing.

Cost of living. Depending on how you are being compensated, this may be a fairly big factor. Well, unless you have outside financing(wish I still did…..)

Transportation(this doesn’t matter much if you are driving).
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       02-28-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
Stockton!! Its all about the DELTA!!!!!! Glass all the time, tons of ppl to ride with, lots of comps and shops all around, and riders with mad steez every where you look!! If you come to Stockton let me know. I live in Tracy(15min from there) and ride the Delta every day in the summer!! You will be happy in Stockton!!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-28-2007, 10:03 AM Reply   
BOOM....Stockton takes the early lead..... with issue #1....
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-28-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
Salt Lake City your somewhat close to Lake Powell which is of the hook. If you really intend to do a lot of wakeboarding I would say either Stockton for the Delta or Portland and the Willamette. I have been on both and there equally awesome. Portland is a nicer city IMHO to Stockton/Sacramento. Plus no sales tax in Oregon and Portland is close to Mount Hood and the coast. Downside is the rain in Portland
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       02-28-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
Oh, and I have been a Longhorns fans since I was a kid! So we will get along just fine!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-28-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
Seriously Stockton itself sucks ass, but the Delta is right there and there will be tons of people doing it up in the summer time! Plus you'll get a bit of that West Coast style and perhaps an extra toe from the lovely Delta water. The Delta is a wakeboarding epicenter, don't pass up the chance!!
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-28-2007, 10:17 AM Reply   
Stay away from Seattle. Conditions suck and the lakes/rivers are always full of tubers.
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-28-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
If you can swing it, move to the Stockton area but live in a place called Discovery Bay right on the Delta, now that is a 'MECCA' for wakeboarders if I have ever seen one.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-28-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
If BSNF can work something out with this property, with just these guys that have replied....you would have an EPIC Summer...

http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1069221675?lnksrc=00045

Though I am guessing they would balk at the house...
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-28-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
DAMN!

When can I move in. Again Discovery Bay is a beautiful place, when I retire I'm so moving there, I just need to win the lottery. I have friends that live down (by water) from I guess what used to be Disovery Joe's and now its some kinda dance club bar/restuarant and there house is 100 ft from the fast water. I guess to really understand it if you have Google Earth type in Discovery Bay, CA
Old    walt            02-28-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
If you want to be able to ride year round on butter the Delta wins hands down.
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       02-28-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
Portland has got a great wake boarding scene.. a lot of riders, good pro shops, glassy water never too hard to find.. the only downfall would be against Stockton, you're probably going to have to use a dry suit around here in the winter.. but it doesn't stop most riders around here
Old    kc700            02-28-2007, 2:47 PM Reply   
STOCKTON!
Old     (delta_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-28-2007, 4:11 PM Reply   
STOCKTON cause of the DELTA BUTTA!!!
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-28-2007, 9:49 PM Reply   
Isn't the Delta too crowded and extremely toxic??? Better find another area!
Old     (ilovelake)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-01-2007, 2:13 PM Reply   
Thanks y'all, with all the responses from Delta riders I had no choice but to put Stockton first. I sent in my top three choices just as I put them in the first post, so hopefully I'll get to meet and ride with y'all this summer. I don't have my own boat, but it doesn't sound like it's too hard to get a pull out there. Now if I could just get BNSF to reimburse me for traveling expenses incurred on water in addition to roads and tracks...
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-01-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
Hell yeah Stockton!!! The Delta kicks ass and there are plenty of lakes in reasonable driving distance.
Old    murrayair            03-01-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
For me, Shasta. If you know where to go you can get glass all day long. Plus, the scenery is great and the water is clean.
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-01-2007, 3:48 PM Reply   
another vote here for Shasta!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-01-2007, 5:33 PM Reply   
The last two people are retarded, don't pay them any mind.

Congrats!! Hope it works out for you. Riding the Delta all Summer would be off the hook! Trust us all, it is one of the coolest places to ride.
Old     (quickpilot1010)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-01-2007, 7:04 PM Reply   
Magothy River Baby
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-01-2007, 10:24 PM Reply   
stockton, nuff said..