Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-18-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
well It will be used for my extended pylon since i have now cash for a tower. I am using pvc and have some spare speakers laying around. My question do i need to put holes for air like a sub box or seal them up with no holes? thanks
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-18-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
No holes is prefered. if you are doing like other and putting 2 speakers (1 facing forward, 1 back) you will need to wire the forward facing speaker backwards or they will be fighting eachother the entire time.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-18-2009, 9:41 AM Reply   
I am making 2 separate speaker cans. one on each side of my pylon facing back. I have a closed bow so no need for tunes to play that way. Thanks for the input.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-18-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
Johnny-

The recommendation seems right on the very surface, but no, you want the speakers wired in phase.

If you wire them out of phase, and if you are sitting and listening anywhere close to the speakers, you will have little or no midrange or bass, as the low to mid frequencies are of equal magnitude, but of opposite polarity, effectively canceling the sound out.

When you design for dual speakers in a single can, you want added air space, so you want longer tubes; that is the only thing you really need to consider. you do not need a center divider either; the air inside will all be in compression or all in expansion; the pressures are for the sake of this argument the same whether there is a divider or not.

Additionally, one thing that is often either never mentioned or glossed over is that it is possible for one speaker to be out-of-phase acoustically even though it appears it is in-phase electrically. Sometimes this is due to an amp manufacturer flipping phase inside the amp, and sometimes, it is simply as a function of where you are listening. Sound travels at a speed, so therefore differences in distances from you to any speakers that you can hear can result in phase shift.

An interesting point: A wakesurfer is close to the boat, and therefore can many times hear the in-boat speakers as well as the tower speakers. If the in-boat speakers are out of phase with respect to the tower speakers in the surfing "sweet spot", the surfer will usually hear less volume, and lots less midrange. Sometimes this is even noticeable in the boat.

SO....

When wiring your tower speakers, consider the real possibility that there is a chance that you could wire them backwards, (flip + and -, not left and right) and improve the over-all sound for the rider and/or the boat. You do this by connecting the negative speaker wire from the amp to the positive input at the speaker. The take the positive wire from the amp and connect it to the negative input of the speaker. Wire it both ways and listen to both. You will hear a difference, and one way will usually be better.

Good luck!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       06-18-2009, 11:00 AM Reply   
Phil, your posts are always great.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-18-2009, 11:25 AM Reply   
I had 4 on my pylon 2 on each side. Made the cans out of pvc and they work great. I am thinking about selling them though because money is so tight right now. I used 6.5 sony 4 ways with a 4 ch. 600 watt rms amp at 4 ohms pushing them. They were ridiculously loud. I did some work on my boat and took the whole stereo out and never put them back on. I would be selling them with speakers, cans, and sox.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-19-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
Phil I agree with your post 95%. When we use a 4 6x9 box and wire in phase all is good. I have had a couple customers bring in ebay cans, single can with 1 speaker in each direction (forward/Rear). When we wire these in phase the midbas is non existent. The last time I had a set come in we tried wiring the forward facing speaker out of phase and whola... mid bass was present. I can not explain why, and I know it is against all the principles we know and cherish, but it worked. I think it has to do with the speakers being pointed in opposing direction. I can not explain it, just know that in that 1 case that I tried wiring in and out of phase, there was a very noticeable difference.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-19-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
Phil is right- front/back speakers have to be wired in phase to get any type of decent sound out of them.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-19-2009, 8:29 PM Reply   
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d80/882001/boat211.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d80/882001/boat211.jpg