Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old    whitechocolate            10-04-2003, 10:57 AM Reply   
Hey Everyone:
I thought I would post some photos of my new towerbox under construction, We are going to be running "4 Pairs of 6X9's "4" going back and "4" shooting straight down into the boat. The front of the box will have 4 lights in it shooting forward. All the speakers and the light's will have grills covering them so you shouldn't be able to see what's behind them. We wanted the box to look like front of a ENZO. I think Nick did a great job of capturing what I was looking for. Ill post more photos as it comes along

Old    whitechocolate            10-04-2003, 10:59 AM Reply   

Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-04-2003, 11:15 AM Reply   
now that might just catch especially for the
Enzo Centurion crowd
Old    grantmi1            10-04-2003, 3:05 PM Reply   
that boat is sweet looking I just hope it holds up or stays together. I ran into a guy who doesn't even post in this thread and he did not like his 2002 avalanche. He said all of the stuff that is said in the thread. 9 times in the shop, I was like man the forums do hold pretty true.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-04-2003, 5:38 PM Reply   
Grant, will the box be black or red?
Sweet idea!
Old    markb            10-04-2003, 6:32 PM Reply   
My trailer hasn't had an axel fall off yet! J/K
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/80670.html

(Message edited by markb on October 04, 2003)

(Message edited by markb on October 04, 2003)
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-04-2003, 8:51 PM Reply   

None of the 4 Centurions I have owned
ever did that
Old    whitechocolate            10-04-2003, 10:20 PM Reply   
Tom I was thinking RED.! When I saw the photo of the real ENZO, in Red, I didn't even consider it in black because I thought the Red looked so good, but black might not be a bad Idea. If it was black It would blend in better, But I don't think you would be able to see the shape of the box as good. So Im 90% shure Im going with Red. Plus I have some carbon fiber going into the box and it will be a better contrast with the Red. Im also adding red neon lights to the Box, So it think in all aspects the Red will be a better color choice.
Old    whitechocolate            10-04-2003, 10:22 PM Reply   
BTW the Local Ferrari Dealer has a ENZO For Sale
1.45 Million Dollars (its yellow) no thanks
Old    grantmi1            10-05-2003, 12:19 AM Reply   
I knew someone would get mad, I am sorry. It was just weird. My dad has a 88 centurion and I love it, and damn the boats looks nice.
Old    grantmi1            10-05-2003, 12:22 AM Reply   
Oh and centurions come on Boat Mate trailers. I thought I said it hasnt held true for everyone. Their are some people on here that have had very good luck. Guees I didnt though, man look at me back pedal, jeshe.

(Message edited by grantmi1 on October 05, 2003)
Old    hyperryd            10-05-2003, 8:38 AM Reply   
Hey Grant. Are you going to have room for two more pairs facing forword? I looks like the back is larger that the front and the back looks tight. Box looks great though, post more pics when it's finished.
Old    whitechocolate            10-05-2003, 9:08 AM Reply   
John: The 6X9's will be on the bottom and the back of the box the front of the box will have the Lights.
Old    hyperryd            10-05-2003, 9:18 AM Reply   
Maybe some day I will learn to read. Sorry about that. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Old    whitechocolate            10-05-2003, 11:02 AM Reply   
Im going to run Boston 6X9's the new ones with the Neo Dine Magnets , Because! They are Light as hell.at almosthalf the weight as the regular 6x9's And they sound good. I bought 4 pairs of Pioneer 5 way 6X9's and they are Heavy Duty Super Big magnets they weigh almost 4.5 LBS each
Plus the Magnets on the Boston's are the size of a Sliver Dollar and since clearance might be a Issue I think they will work better Ill post a Photo below
Old    whitechocolate            10-05-2003, 11:03 AM Reply   
These are the Bostons
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-05-2003, 12:29 PM Reply   
I bought those Pioneer 6x9's for my tower too, mostly cause of the groovey grills and blue cones which match the boat. Damn, who chooses speakers because they are the right color? I am turning into a women. Anyway, they should be up and running by the end of the week, I'll post pics.
Old    whitechocolate            10-05-2003, 2:15 PM Reply   
Darren: I know what you are talking about.My friend harold bought the Pioneer 6X9's for the Exact same reason as you (He has a Blue Super). They were blue. I thought they would have sounded like crap. Because they looked Disco and were only $49 a pair, But when I heard them side by side with my MB quarts. You couldnt tell. I was blown Away, How could these Cheep ass Blue speakers sound as good as My Mb Quarts seprates ????. I gave up trying to understand and bought 4 Pairs. Like I said I was going to run them till I saw My friends Bostons and how small and light they were. This weekend we did a test and took 2 of his Boston 6X9's out and threw in the 2 Blue Pioneer 5 way 6X9's So we could hear the Pioneers side by side the Bostons. Again If you Listend to the bostons becide the Pioneer's you couldnt hear a real Differance, If anything, The Pioneer 6X9's were Brighter than the Boston's Both speakers were as clear as each other, I think because My Tower box is going to be larger/heaver than most I need to realy concider saving the weight on the Speakers
Old     (pjdave)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-19-2003, 6:20 PM Reply   
Come on grant show us more pics of the "ENZO", Im just about to build a new tower box for our air, cool idea.
Old    whitechocolate            10-20-2003, 8:18 AM Reply   
Dave: Ill post some photo's soon. The box was rapped last week, Ill post some photo's as soon as I get them, It still has to be painted ect
Old    whitechocolate            10-27-2003, 10:55 AM Reply   
Ok here are the lates Photo's, As you can see it still need some work. Im not happy with the sides of the box the "Air" intake's so we are going to re-do the sides. So here is what we have so far.
Old    bigd            10-27-2003, 10:59 AM Reply   
Pic?
Old    whitechocolate            10-27-2003, 2:56 PM Reply   
Sorry Homeboy's for some reason I couldn't get the photo's to up-load Here are some photo's go here http://svtsupercharged.com/gallery/album08
for the rest you can get a better Idea of what going on.

Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-27-2003, 6:36 PM Reply   
Im relly looking forward to seeing it done, likes like an impressive labor of love so far! Keep the pic's coming.
Old    whitechocolate            10-27-2003, 7:31 PM Reply   
Bill: Labour of Love? Kind of like your Tower Photo Shoot's, "Now that's a Labor Of love" This is a Expencieve mess Let's call things what they really are. LOL
Old    trip            10-28-2003, 7:00 AM Reply   
Grant, I hope you will be able to adjust the volume of the down firing and rear firing speakers seperately. Otherwise the people sitting the boat are going to get their ear drums blown out when you turn it up loud enough for the rider to hear.
Old    whitechocolate            10-28-2003, 8:11 AM Reply   
Yea Mike: I was thinking the same thing. I have a fader on my "EQ and I was using the fader on it to break up the sound between the hull and tower, So it look's like I might Have to now switch or Add a new fader between the 4 going back and the 4 going down, The 4 shooting down into the boat can be so Loud it's out of control, But wait that's the way we like it???
I realy dont care about how loud it is behind the boat at 75 feet if I did I would have used Compression Drivers. The way I figure it 5 People in the Boat and 1 behind it I would rather the 5 people in the boat have great sound then the person behind it. If it soulnd good back there cool. But Like my friend "Spock" from Star Treck say's The Need's of the Meny out way the Need's for the few.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-29-2003, 10:42 PM Reply   
FYI I paid 21$ for a line level volume control recently from one of the car stereo "gurus" that has been touted here, I posted the page recently because they had things I needed. I got a dual 10k potentiometer (crappy one, the absolute crappiest in all of my catalogs, slave made in India) that retails for 1.74 and a pure crap unshielded plastic case and radio shack budget RCA connectors. I am very busy with a new job and wanted to buy something quality and in a package that works. What I received was trash. Since I pried it apart to look inside, I can't return it. 10k is not enough to NOT to load down input signal from the head unit, it the wrong value part and is a junk part. If anyone needs a stereo volume control, I can provide a Radio Shack or Mouser part number and wiring info that will far outperform and outlast the crap I got, for FREE, a total parts cost of about five bucks. The guys' initials are DAVID NAVONE, big pal and "business" partner of RICHARD CLARK. Hear that, Doug Hanson, owner of the baddest stereo on the planet? I also bought a line driver (30$)that uses an op amp that costs .41, and uses electrolytic caps for low level audio signal coupling. They are trash, for a total cost of about .25 more, he could use quality tantalum or poly caps that would drastically improve fidelity. I can't believe that this guy can argue about directional wire and power supply caps and not realize that low level signal processing is the key to good sound. Garbage in, Garbage out. Typical car stereo BS.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-29-2003, 11:37 PM Reply   
Yup, you def need to be able to fade down and back seperately. I am so glad I wired my box this way, it means you need 4 pair of wire going up but you will regret it if you don't have this ability. It is really nice to fade the down ones to 1 or 2 and have the back ones blasting. I used the front/rear fader provided on the deck so I didn't need a line level adjuster.
Old    whitechocolate            10-30-2003, 9:11 AM Reply   
Psyclone: Ok I read your message about 3 times, To fully get what you were saying. I guess Some one here (stereo guru) told you to get a peticular part and you were not happy with the quality after paying $1.74 for it? And then you went on to quote Doug Hanson and His self proclamed "baddest stereo on the planet? " Witch I think is "Very funny" I rember when he posted that in a Stereo Thread. And I still to this day have not seen one pic of this system he keep's talking about. Becides the one in his Profile with the Dog in the front . Mabey that's who helps him run his Directional Power and speaker wire! I think Doug is A Helpfull guy I see him helping people here all the time and for that in my book he is a good guy. But Im more of a show me guy. And I haven't seen squat from him so take it for what it's worth.

If you go to and Stereo Shop there a 2 types of people that work there #1 Installers and #2 Sales people. "Installers" put in what "Sales people" sell. But what "Installers" use on there own system's is completley diffrent from what they are selling or telling you and I. Sales Person's tend to know the more tecinal end of the equipment,ya know all the #'s and in some cases the #'s are everything, Installer's tend to rely on tryed and trued methods, I call it the Pepsi Challange. I see people taking here on W/W talking about stereo stuff that I can't even understand, They are talking a forgin language, And I know about stereo's! What does this mean for the average joe?
Getting back to the question. Yes I am intrested in your Seprate volume controle. If you would be so kind as to post a photo of it and or part # so I can check it out. I see it's a comon part that people are using on there towers. I see scooch makes one also. Has any one used their one? I have a EQ that has a fader on it Front to Rear fade I can use this Fader to belend speakers going down to back , But it would be nice to have a seprate one. Here is a photo of the EQ Im talking about

Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-30-2003, 9:37 AM Reply   
I agree with Grant about the stereo shops. I go straight to the installer. He knows what will fit where and what will sound good.

Grant the box is looking great. Not to sure about the down firing speakers. My boat is loud enough as it is. I would not benifit from them. Your set up is different though. Can't wait to see the finished product.

www.Wake-Me.com
Old    whitechocolate            10-30-2003, 10:00 AM Reply   
Travis Thanks: Hey I can't explane Why but the 4 6X9's shooting down into the boat seem to make a "HUGE" diffrance for even sound behind the boat. The sound must bounce off the floor of the boat and shoot up and back. It sound's crazy and I wouldn't believe it if some one told me but for me hearing/seeing is believing, We were out on my friend's boat last week and he has a tower set up like the one Im doing 4 6X9's going back and 4 going down, His 4 going back had come unpluged at the amp and we were rocking it for almost half the day before we knew they were unpluged. I had ridden behind the boat and it was loud back there! WTF. My old set up Had all the Boss speakers going back and that's where the sound went. It used the hull speakers to make all the music in the boat witch I thought wasen't enough. I know with the 4 6X9's shooting down it will be plenty loud in the boat Just because the speakers are pointed right at you ect. The hull speakers will almost be a non-issue. I will make it to Shasta next year. I want to hear your system. "Sean Weiland" with the Blue Cal-Air said your system is Awesome. Can't wait to check it out.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-30-2003, 10:32 AM Reply   
Sweet it will be good to finally meet you and the Bling Bling CC.

www.Wake-Me.com
Old    bigd            10-30-2003, 10:56 AM Reply   
What is the whole package going to weigh?
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-30-2003, 11:07 AM Reply   
Grant,

I think Psyclone was mad because he ordered what he thought were some quality parts for $21 and $30 but received some crappy stuff: the former which retailed for $1.74 and the latter which was made from cheap and inappropriate parts.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-30-2003, 12:19 PM Reply   
Grant you crack me up. Now that you can't ride as much your energy goes into pimping out the boat even more. I can't wait to see the box finished, it looks pretty tight. i think pete needs to upgrade to something like that but then again i'd have a harder time recognizing his boat without his current box. by the way my dad did get tracks from malibu and has done the blue plexiglas wind break. Just thought you'd like to know.
Old    whitechocolate            10-30-2003, 3:03 PM Reply   
Matt: Glad to hear your Dad made the windblock That's great It only took him 1 year.
Old    hyperryd            10-30-2003, 8:54 PM Reply   
Hey Grant, I was thinking about your TV post and looking at your box. Have you thought about mounting a 13" TFT under the center section of your box? You have plenty of room and the shade from above and the sides would really help out with the glare. With a monitor that size everybody in the boat could watch. Just a thought. The box looks sweet.
Old    whitechocolate            10-31-2003, 9:01 AM Reply   
Hey John: Yes I was thinking the same thing as you BUT if you have seen any of the Overhead LCD screen's the quality of the encloser is kind of cheep (Thin Plastic) at least the 8 or 9 I have seen in person. They look like If you Hit a Doubble up when the TV was up and tucked away the TV would swing down, and eventually break Im moving ahead with the mirror mount 7 inc wide screen, Even thought I dont think The TV weighs that much I don't want any more weight on my tower.
Old    maverick_gear            10-31-2003, 9:29 AM Reply   
Grant Can you hook me up with the guy building that thing or let me go thru you to get one made? Im on Team Centurion and my new ENZO is on the way i was thinkin one of those boxes might go with the theme? im sure you don't want all that custom work done for me to copy you but maybe your guy can make me something different with equal sickness! my boats goin in like 5 boat shows and pulling 30 contests next season, it would be cool to have something like that done...
Old    maverick_gear            10-31-2003, 9:32 AM Reply   
Grant that thing is sick! Im on Team Centurion and my new ENZO is on the way i was thinkin i should get one of those crazy boxes. im sure you don't want all that custom work done for me to copy you but maybe your guy can make me something different with equal sickness! my boats goin in like 5 boat shows and pulling 30 contests next season, it would be cool to have something like that done...
Old    whitechocolate            10-31-2003, 4:11 PM Reply   
Mav, No Problem! E-mail me I will give you his Phone # Direct. "Yes if you have a Boat with the name ENZO you need a Enzo Style Box. Im sure by the time he finishe's my box he will know how to make the next one even better. "So your in luck"
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-01-2003, 11:50 AM Reply   
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was ticked because I bought two things for my boat stereo, a line driver and a line level volume control. I paid about 60$. When I got them, they were cheaply made using low quality parts. I mean very cheap, poor design as well. I took them apart to see what was inside, so I can't honestly return them. I recently posted a link to the site where I bought the stuff, it's junk and I wouldn't want anyone else to buy stuff based on my recommendation.
Old    xtigeman            11-02-2003, 12:07 AM Reply   
Grant, youve seen pictures of my set up. I have not snapped any in probably two years though. I found this picture in the archives.

I have two other amps not pictured.

My set-up is as follows:

Nakamichi MB 100 head unit
(2) Pre-amp boxes with Master control volumes (gives me 6 zones I can adjust volumes on)

In boat speakers
McIntosh 446 powering Dyanaudio 3 way by the rear bench, Focal Poly Kevla with MB QM 25 tweeters on the side bench by the raise up seat and a set of MB Quart QSDs up front all on Electronic crossovers.

Subs
(1) Orion 900 watt Extreme running an ID Max in right rear locker and an Eclipse Titanium in left rear locker.
(2) Second Orion 900 Extreme running a JL 12W7 mounted in the kick paanel under the driver's side dash.

Towers
2 sets of B-60 cannisters
1 set of B-50 cannisters
(1) McIntosh 602 (300 watts X 2) powering 6.5 CDTs and MB Quart QM 25 tweetersand 5.25 CDT High Definitions with MB QM 25 tweeters.
(1) PPI 4125 powering 6.5 Boston Pros with MB QM 25 tweeters

Got a lot of gunk and junk that is no longer hooked up:
Pheonix Gold Line driver (unhooked)
Audiobahn LIne Driver with Meters readouts (unhooked)
Audiobahn Bass Laine Driver with Phase and meters (unhooked)
Top of the line Stinger 2 farad cap (unhooked)

Electronics
McInotsh power box with MEQ 452 EQ and a MEC 459 digital control
LED readout volt meters for each amp
LED Amperage meter
Homemade fan colling system that is triggered when amps reach a certain temperature

Wiring
You don't want to know how much I spent on wiring, but suffice it to say I got the best RCAs and speaker wire available
ALl 0 Guage to fuse blocks and 4 guage from fuse blocks to amp
(2) Optima Yellow Tops

Total system about $ 20,000 and 4,480 watts at the ohms I am running in as opposed to total amp rated power.

(Message edited by xtigeman on November 02, 2003)
Old    xtigeman            11-02-2003, 12:25 AM Reply   
Psyclone:

I have been saying for two years that those PACs and other line level controls that are potentiometer are crap and will ruin your sound. For master volumes, one should use a high quality pre-amp to eliminate introduction of distortion into the system.

Regarding line, drivers, all of mine are unhooked. Just get a head unit with a nice 4 to 8 volt low impedience output and no need for line drivers. One would be an idiot to add a line driver to a $ 1,000 + head unit with a strong signal and very low impedience. The line driver signal will not be as clean as a Nakamichi or McInotsh head unit signal and introduce distortion.

You only need a line driver for elimination of noise. If you would buy some decent RCAs and speaker wires, you wouldn't have any noise. Hahaha.

But, I am not sure what your beef is with me. You buy some piece of crap $ 1.74 item or even $ 30.00 item and expect it to enhance your system. Sounds foolish to me.

Oh yeah, the baddest stereo on the planet is now in my RUF. Just finished the install today.

McIntosh MX 406 control unit
McInotsh MCC440M bi-amping McInotsh MS 650 components in the front
McInotsh Electronic Crossover
McInotsh 420 in 2 channel mode powering MB Quart QSD 5.25s in the back
McIntosh MCC301M (600 watts) powering a 12 inch Carbon Fibre sub
McInotsh Power box with MEQ 452
McInotsh MEC 459 digital read-out controller

This system is so sweet it will send tingles down your spine. It is absolutely perfect and, although I have the equalization available, none is needed. It is absolutely perfect.

Oh yeah, Psyclone, while you are name dropping, Richard Clark is one of the individuals who is the most vocal about CAPS being a crap.

Old    whitechocolate            11-02-2003, 11:01 AM Reply   
Doug: very very nice Glad to see you finally came up with a Photo'(to bad it dosen't exist any more) so I guess that the system is out of you Master Craft and in the 911 "The Award for Baddest System on the Planet in a Boat" is Back up for Grabb's. This bring's me back to the Lochness Moster Stereo theroy "Do Monster Stereo's really exist"? we see or hear about them It sure would be cool to have some place where we could see a detailed large selection of them, Guess WHAT Im working on somthing now wwww.boatbeats.com it's nothing now underconstruction, when its up and running, I hope to feature Big systems in boats and equipment review's
Old    xtigeman            11-02-2003, 11:49 AM Reply   
My boat system still exists in all its glory. I bought new amps for my cars and my garage looks like a used stereo shop with all of the unused amps, head units, and drivers sitting around.

The only thing I had pulled out of the boat were my Focal 165 K2 woofers out and a set of MB QM 25 tweeters, but I just replaced those with the McInotsh MS 650s for my car so the Focals and the tweeters will go back in the boat when I get around to it.

One thing I forgot to mention that really enhanced sound is that I built spec boxes linned with Dynamat for all of the in boat speakers. Took up storage room though. I created air tight chambers for the bow speakers with layers of dynamat. I was the first at least on this board to dynamat and dampening pads on the inside of the Boss cans and I made the chambers for each driver air tight. I also use poly fill with some drivers. Some sound better without it.
Old    xtigeman            11-02-2003, 11:54 AM Reply   
RE: Photographs

There should be a slew of photographs in the archives of my system, especially when I was installing stuff like infra red repeaters and etc. Photos should also be in the archives over at www.wakeboarder.com. The photos are my laptop which has a bad battery charger connection and I can not get any power to it at the moment.
Old    whitechocolate            11-02-2003, 10:12 PM Reply   
when you say they are in the Archives, What Do I do, Do a Search and type in What??? "Throw me a Fricken Bone Ive been frozen for Fifteen Fricken years"

"Dr Evil"
Old    xtigeman            11-03-2003, 6:13 PM Reply   
I pulled the above picture out of archives. I typed in line drivers because I know there was a thread where I was talking about line drivers diminishing sound quality, but seemed to make signal louder. I just took RCAs and looped them around from the inputs to the outputs and used the line drivers to monitor voltage.

BTW, in case you don't know, I am just josking around with the baddest stereo on the planet thing. I know there are some great systems out there in boats and in cars. Joe Boyle has the nicest install I have ever seen, but I think I got him is sound . . . maybe.
Old    whitechocolate            11-03-2003, 6:48 PM Reply   
Yes, Line Drivers, That only brings back 1000 results, (that's no Help) Why don't you just post a link to this thread your talking about. And Did JOE BOYLE ever come up with a Digital cammera So he could take some photo's of his system?
And, No I didn't know you were joking about the Baddest System, I thought WHEN YOU TALKED Stereo YOU NEVER JOKED" LoL so Doug I am intrested in a RCA sound splitter /Fader so I can split the sound between the rear facing 6X9's and the Down Fireing 6X9's so If you know of somthing can ya let me know Thanks
Old    xtigeman            11-03-2003, 8:46 PM Reply   
Look at pre-amp/eqs made by Eclipse and Clarion. I guess my photos pre-date the archives. I dunno. Maybe I'll take my cover off and snap a few more. BTW, I have been in Joe's boat. His system is real also.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/48790.html

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/34001.html?1031591119

Here is a post about volume controls. Each pre amps will give you basically two zones and a fade. You have a sub out, master and fade. I use two pre-amp units (1 master for towers, 1 master for in boat, two subs on sub control on in boat unit, the sub volume on the tower unit brings up the third sub, and I can fade in boat so I don't blow kids ear drums sitting in the bow). I can also knock towers down with the fade on the tower pre-amp (towers running off units front channel only) and leave the third sub up with the in boat speakers. Lots of volume control is great.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/24199.html?1023513844
Old    whitechocolate            11-04-2003, 8:38 AM Reply   
I got the Amp for the hull last night. $509 deliverd Buy it now "E-bay" PPI PCX 4125. I know Doug, Will back me up on this amp. Awesome power clean 0.02% I dont think for the Money you can beat it. I know the Mac is cleaner 0.01% but for the $ I don't think you can beat the PPI
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-04-2003, 10:22 AM Reply   
Do you guys think a JL 500/5 would be a good amp to power my 02' SAN boat speakers and a sub? I'm no amp expert but I just bought a dry deck so I need an amp.
Old    whitechocolate            11-04-2003, 11:35 AM Reply   
My friend Mike Smith has a 500/5 JL running in his Wakesetter. It sound's good. The 5th channel runs 2 8in JL sub's the other 4 channel's run's the hull. Look up his name he goes by (Bond) he can tell you more about it
Old    xtigeman            11-04-2003, 1:27 PM Reply   
McInotsh's are THD .005 or less at RATED POWER (not one watt) and from 20hz to 20k.

PPIs are good so are JLs. JL has regulated power supplies like McIntosh so you get rated power whether at 11 volts or 14.4 volts.

PPIs are just a hair brighter than McInotshes, I bypassed the onboard filters and used external and powered crossovers and it sounded very close to the McInotsh I am using on the other tower speakers tone wise. I am just running 300 watts per channel to the other 2 sets of tower speakers. Obviously, I backed of the gain a little bit.

One other nice thing about McIntosh amps though is you cannot clip them and you can not turn them up too loud. They have a protection mode that kicks in and will reduce the volume to the highest permissible volume setting even if you turn your head unit volume all the way up. The protection mode does not affect sound. You can only tell if it kicks on by looking at the amp to see if the little orange light lights up.

This is a nice feature because on the water, it is real easy to keep turning that volume knob to try and get the sound back to the wakeboarder.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-06-2003, 12:06 AM Reply   
My ONLY concern is that people build simple excellent sounding boat systems out of quality, affordable parts that will hold up. I know for a fact that you don't need to spend gobs of money to do it. I don't sell them.
Good line level cables, hell yeah. "Directional" DC cables, you're high.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-06-2003, 12:12 AM Reply   
MCM electronics sells a version of Dynamat for about 1/4 the price, it is a stick-on product that comes in sheets.

I don't sell anything, last post wasn't clear
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-06-2003, 9:57 AM Reply   
I'm going to pipe in here, just being my retentive self.

All speakers cables are directional. When copper or silver in spun/drawn out into strands it create slight cheverons ( <<<< ) in the metal. The theory is that the cable sounds better with the cheveorns alinged in one direction. Can you hear it? I doubt it, can you hear the sound quality of better cable, in your home and car sure, in a boat on the water while moving... I doubt it.

Also some cables are directional due to how they are balanced. One end does need to attached to source and one end to the pre-amp for example.

Not trying to start anything here, just my $.02

In my boat I used middle of the road monster cable. At home I have silver Audio Quest interconnects and high end copper with silver end speaker wire. Can I hear differnce, you bet. Is it worth it? that's my call.
Old    xtigeman            11-06-2003, 3:47 PM Reply   
The big question: can you hear a difference? I really don't know for sure, but I do know that I didn't want any weak links in my system. If your going to spend $ 500 or maybe $ 1,000 on a new system is makes little sense to expensive wires and cables. On the otherhand, if you are dropping $ 500.00 to $ 1,000 per amp and per set of speakers it makes just as little sense to save $ 20.00 to buy a cheap set of RCAs. My great sound quality is more a total sum of many different parts. One part by itself may not make a difference, but one bad part in an entire system can wreck the whole thing.

Kinda like using a McInotsh amp with a cheap head unit that has a high distortion rating. Why have a .005 distortion amp with with head unit producing .1 THD?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-06-2003, 3:56 PM Reply   
Thread Hijack Warning

Audio Quest used to do a great demo. They a middle of the road boom box. Set it up for quick connection of speaker cables. They would start with low end cables and work their way up. I could honestly hear a difference between about every other price point cable. Pretty impressive, $500 cables on $150 boom box and it made sound better.
Old    whitechocolate            11-19-2003, 9:43 PM Reply   

Old    hyperryd            11-19-2003, 10:05 PM Reply   
I sure am glad I don't have to sand that thing. I would itch for a month. It looks great Grant! Have you got the front pieces for the lights designed yet? Do you have any clue as to the weight?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-19-2003, 10:45 PM Reply   
Dang looks heavy. Its going to be something special, but I would worry about the weight. How stiff are the FCT?
Old    whitechocolate            11-20-2003, 7:46 AM Reply   
The peices that hold the light's haven't been finished yett. They should be finished this week. Just trying to get the carbon fiber thing all worked out
Right now the Box weighs Like 35-40 lbs, The speakers are around 2 1/2 lbs each, I dont know how much the light's weigh But We were guessing the box painted fully loaded, with everthing would weigh 70 Lbs. I still think its going to be lighter than what I had up there before.
Old    amixman            11-21-2003, 8:04 AM Reply   
Grant how have you been ive been to busy to even think about the lake but at least its winter and cold .ok grant now i know y you didnt call me back to go to naci in late sept, i to want to redesign my tower system .
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-21-2003, 9:21 AM Reply   
I just read there is going to be a real Enzo at the SF Auto show if anyone is interested
Old    whitechocolate            11-21-2003, 10:31 AM Reply   
Mr: San Wasss Up Yes I have been busy with this project and many more. As soon as it's back together I will be going out again. Dry Suit Weather. Ted Ill drop you a line and see what's happing.

JAN: Yes I saw the Bilboard for the SF auto show
it has the ENZO on it, I guess that means it will be there. Sorry Ill be out of town (GLAMIS) Riding Quads, BUT if any one goes to the SF auto show could you please take some shots of the ENZO, That would be great! The local Dealer only had a ENZO in stock for 2 day and I missed it 1.45 MILLION DOLLARS Plus it was "Yellow" not a good ENZO collor IMO.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-17-2003, 2:55 PM Reply   
I got to poke around and go for a ride in an Enzo with the boys from FNA the other day. No reason to post a review, everyone knows what it's like.

Not to burst your bubble (because the box looks amazing, and I'm REALLY jealous), but that's not really what the nose looks like. There is a fairing as part of the aero package that joins the two intakes in the front across the bottom. It wouldn't look right on the box though, and wouldn't be nearly as sexy as your design is.
Old    whitechocolate            12-17-2003, 2:59 PM Reply   
Jason "You are the man" Alot of people would give up a body part to take a ride in one of thoes, Yes I see and know of the bar the attaches's the tunnel, The more I look a the REAL enzo the box is quit far off. I wold have loved to seen on in person before starting, But I gues there is always the 2nd generation
Old    whitechocolate            01-07-2004, 2:21 PM Reply   
These Photo's are from westcoastcustoms.com Shaq's custom car shop

Old    xtigeman            01-07-2004, 3:10 PM Reply   
Whoa. Speechless.
Old    xtigeman            01-07-2004, 3:17 PM Reply   
I guess I am a true diehard though, because I would also take a Carrera GT. I understand that the GT will beat the Enzo around the ring. The GT has more downforce which hurts its 0 - 60, 1/4 mile, and top speed, but that same down force makes it quicker around the track. If given the choice, though, I would be tempted to say the Enzo except that I would drive the GT to work at least everyother day. The Enzo is so expensive. Oil change was like $ 700, brakes where in thousands and etc.

What do you think, if you could only have one. The Enzo is cooler, but would you take a GT since you could drive it daily.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-07-2004, 4:26 PM Reply   
Yeah, I would GT. The Enzo while it has a sexy arse is not my cup of tea from the front. Plus toys are for playing with & you would get much more use from the GT than the Enzo.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-07-2004, 4:35 PM Reply   
Grant,
That is weird. I was on that site yesterday looking at those pictures.

I would pick the Enzo. If you are that rich to buy either the Enzo or the GT then money basically doesn't matter and anthing to do with maintenance doesn't matter $$$. I would buy both and alternate driving each one every other day
Old     (02byerly132)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-07-2004, 6:26 PM Reply   
My friend's dad is getting one. It should be ariving in the next month!!! I can't wait, I'm going to get to sit in it! Man some people are lucky, haha
Old    whitechocolate            01-08-2004, 7:50 AM Reply   
Reaves" The Enzo is selling for 1.4 Million dollars, You friends dad is a Lucky guy, There are only 95 comming to the states.
Wake" thats a cool website.
Doug" whats the GT selling for $, I think I would still take the ENZO, The GT is a Bad Ass Mo Fo.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-08-2004, 8:47 AM Reply   
I wouldn't buy the Enzo unless I had a circuit at my disposal 24 hours a day. You'll never get to fully experience it unless you're on a track, and any other setting leaves something to be desired.

For a daily driver, I'll take a Pagani Zonda over the GT or Enzo any day (although if I had to pick one car to live with it would probably be a 360 Challenge Stradale or GT3).
Old    xtigeman            01-08-2004, 9:06 AM Reply   
Wow, people are getting gouged on the Enzo. Isn't it like $ 650K MSRP. I cannot imagine anyone paying 1.4 for it when the Bugatti Verylon will only be 1.2. Have you seen that cars specs. 2.9 0 - 60, 250 mph top speed. 1,000 hp. The Buggati will probably be more dependable also since it is basically a VW/Audi motor and drivetrain.

The GT were about $ 460k maybe still the same, but they did up the hp at the last minute to beat the Enzo. I could get a GT at MSRP from my dealer and maybe resell for profit. I wish. Let me see, 3 GTs for an Enzo, or better yet, almost a GT + Buggati or a McClaren F1 or a Paganini for an Enzo.
Old    whitechocolate            01-08-2004, 12:30 PM Reply   
Doug If you dont think the Porsche Dealer is going to ask more than sticker for the GT your crazy. Who know's how much the GT wil go for. I think the ENZO is going for so much because theres only 95 in the US and the Car Reviews on the ENZO have been great. Blows all the other modle's away F-40 F-50, I dont know what they went for$$ but I bet they were not much less that the 1.4 Million Dollar ENZO, I rember years back when the F-40 came out they were saying it was 1 million dollars