Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (hollywood1971)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-13-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
Once again California is tryng to make everything that is fun a pain in the but. There is an article in the contra costa times today that California is trying to pass a new law that all boaters will be required to take a boating safety class regardless of experience to operate a boat. There is a poll the paper is taking at contracostatimes.com
what do you guys think? I am sure we will all have to pay for the class and then pay the DMV a fee for the boat drivers license. It will also give the sherrifs on the water one more reason to pull us over to make sure we have our boating driver licenses on us.
Old    walt            10-13-2006, 8:36 PM Reply   
It sounds like a great idea to me. The sad truth is there are way to many boaters that don't have a clue.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-13-2006, 8:47 PM Reply   
I think it is about time! The only negative will be on those days where there is only one licensed driver (me) on the boat.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-13-2006, 9:12 PM Reply   
Fantastic idea...and the second you see some clueless idiots on the water you'll wholeheartedly agree, too. It only takes one moron on the water to turn your day into a nightmare.

Of course, I would rather not have to pay that extra fee, but who does?
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-13-2006, 9:19 PM Reply   
i think its a good idea.

after having several people out on the boat that are not or were not wakeboarders and talking to them about powerturns and running lines i was amazed at how many had no idea about either.

but i guess that probably isnt included in the said class, which is unfortunate.

my guess is that there would be a grandfather clause tho.
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-13-2006, 9:19 PM Reply   
I don't know about everyone else, but I can only hope the PWC drivers have to take a test. It would be worth it to take a test if these morons learn how to drive.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-13-2006, 9:39 PM Reply   
it might be a good idea.. i just read that 66% of ALL boating accidents on the Delta water ways is caused by boats 16-25FT.. well atleast new boaters. if everyone was on wakeworld they would know whats up...

but in the long run its a bad idea
Old    rsmith            10-13-2006, 9:51 PM Reply   
There is a GOD!!! Hopefully the dumb a** boaters will finally get some education. The water will be safer!
Old    rsmith            10-13-2006, 9:54 PM Reply   
Oh almost forgot--fishermen are the worst boaters--hallelujah!
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       10-13-2006, 11:17 PM Reply   
umm dumba**es still get licenses in cars so when you think about it. its all the same in my POV

(Message edited by wakeeater on October 13, 2006)
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-13-2006, 11:21 PM Reply   
They should do the classes but have them taught by someone who regularly boats and really knows the rules.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-13-2006, 11:42 PM Reply   
No complaints here, I will be in the first class.

Hopefully this will be required for PWC operation as well.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-14-2006, 1:17 AM Reply   
awesome news!
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-14-2006, 5:03 AM Reply   
Same type of testing going on here in NJ. Only difference is if you have at least 100 hours of boating experience and were born before 1979, you just have to take the test. Otherwise you have to take the course to get your license.

We have a TON of clueless boaters around here, so maybe this will help.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-14-2006, 6:13 AM Reply   
I'm all for it. Wish they would do something like that in NC. I'd be more than willing to take the course/class if it would educate the idiots out there.
Old    walt            10-14-2006, 6:28 AM Reply   

quote:

umm dumba**es still get licenses in cars so when you think about it. its all the same in my POV

There's a difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance can be cured.
Old    xtremebordgurl            10-14-2006, 6:32 AM Reply   
Haven't read the whole thread but I can tell you I WISH they would make that a law here! So many stupid people on the water, its ridiculous and every summer you hear of someone dieing in a watercraft accident (usually involving PWCs). Those are deaths that could easily be prevented if people knew what they were doing. Just my .02
Old    walt            10-14-2006, 6:35 AM Reply   

quote:

Oh almost forgot--fishermen are the worst boaters--hallelujah!

Even though I had a bass fisherman just miss me by a couple of feet last winter I'd have to disagree with that over all statement.

IMO they tend to be more uptight but seem to stick to the rules more often.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-14-2006, 6:56 AM Reply   
We have this kind of law in Ohio. Older boaters were grandfathered, I enrolled my whole family, and yes I did learn a thing or two. The class was a one day, eight hour event and ran about $40. We have a discount on our boaters insurance because we all have this training.

Why would you oppose this training? I understand that getting a fishing license in Germany is a costly and lengthy exercise, and few pass the test on the first pass. It would be funny to get that kind of requirement set up for fishing here.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-14-2006, 7:06 AM Reply   
I like the idea but, it's another means for the state to generate money. First it'll be a boating course then boating licences. Of which it'll cost you and me money. Needless to say that means they can charge whatever they want because you'll have to have one. And I'm sure, just like everything else the state does, will raise the cost of licensing at time goes by.

Like the idea but, hate what it'll mean to my wallet.

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (crs)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-14-2006, 7:44 AM Reply   
You have to have a license to drive a car, but there are plenty of bad drivers on the road. It will probably be the same on the water, no matter how many requiremts there are. It is just another way for California to squeeze money out of our wallets.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-14-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
We have to have boaters permits in Oregon and it hasn't helped anything (at least I personally haven't noticed a difference). The same idiots are doing the same stupid stuff on the water and ignoring the same laws as always.

What really get me though, is you can take your boaters test online and anyone with half a brain knows to open up a second tab/window so they can read the answers right out of the "study guide" as they are taking the test.

Also, the test asks pointless questions about driving in the ocean, red/green markers in large channels, safely making it out past the bar to get into the ocean, and lots of other junk like that. IMO if they wanted to have an effective test they need to be more specific. Such as a general test (20-30 questions) and a boat specific test depending on what kind of boat you will be operating. I believe that guys in ocean going vessels don't need to learn about power turns and/or keeping their boat 200ft away from my rider. However, jet skiers and other small boat operaters do need to know this stuff; which they could learn in a boat specific test...this is JMO take it for what its worth.
Old     (intotheflats)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-14-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
I boat a lot on Lake of the Ozarks and a couple years back Missouri state law made it mandatory for everyone under 21 take an online test, which is probably very similar to the one you are talking about Patrick. It has appeared to me that there has been fewer accidents, especially involving jetskis. It sucks for some people but I feel that it makes the lake safer because at least people have some knowledge about boating.
Old     (bensk8in)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-14-2006, 9:29 AM Reply   
I think this would be a great opportunity for experienced boaters to get in there and put our two cents in. I think that the classes are going to be totally bone head information, like on my pre delivery form it says "Make sure you attatch your bow strap before pulling out of the water" Its pretty scary putting some people on the water, you wish you had the time to go over everything.

I wonder if it is done by California Water Ways or something else. But what I would recommend is to get our section in to the course called "BOATER EDUCATE" about coming too close, tubing in glass water, power turns, ect. Ya know.
Old     (wakechallenged)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-14-2006, 9:38 AM Reply   
I'd be FOR the idea of boater education if it were actually administered properly. Unfortunately, I'd anticipate the state to make the process more "administative/paperwork" than "actual", meaning if you take a writen test and pay a fee, you get a license. IF it involved a physical training component and on the water testing, it would then have the impact desired.

I read an article in Boaters World or Boating Life (I think) a few months back where the author took about a dozen on-line boaters education courses administered for the same number of state's licening requriements. His conclusion was that the took and passed all of them without any difficulty. If everybody passes, what's the point?

Just watch this one, if it happens, grumble, take the stupid test, pay the stupid fee, and continue to watch the stupid boaters like we do now.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-14-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
About time, what about including a driving a boat/PWC exam as well. You have to do it for a drivers license (and some states motorcycle), so why not.
Sure go ahead and flame me.
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-14-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
i think it's a fantastic idea. i'm curious to know why some would think it's a bad idea. my wife and i will gladly fork over a little cash if it will help us become more knowledgeable on the water.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-14-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
...we also have this law in ontario...older drivers grandfathered till 2009....no course though ....you could do it on the internet ....still can. If its anything like up here do it right away.......as the program matures the exam gets longer and more expensive....ours did.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-14-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
As I read this thread and see the different views it brings me to this conclusion; I think its a great idea to have a safety course. However I agree with some of you in reference to the fees and charges for the class and/or endorsements'. You have to fault the idiots on the water though because thats what brings it to this. Everyone is perfectly capable of educating themselves on the do's and dont's.We really do have to be police out there.If we dont the government will and we all know their going to go straight to our bank account.It sucks we have to rat people out but if you dont you'll pay for it later literally.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-14-2006, 11:04 AM Reply   
They def need it in North Carolina
Old     (wakegenie)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-14-2006, 11:45 AM Reply   
We Have it in CT and your not allowed to even take it on line you actully have to go their. (PWC's too) - but there are still bad drivers on the lakes
Old    deltahoosier            10-14-2006, 12:07 PM Reply   
It still will not cure power turners so what is the point. You end up learning red right return, keep 200 feet from swimmers, 100 ft from other boats and such but most people to know that. They just do not care. I am for people learning the right thing to do, but, I get little nervous when the government is involved.
Old     (wkbdtime)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-14-2006, 12:09 PM Reply   
The Californian Safe Boating course is Free. This is the class that will give you your certificate.

The Book is Free
The test is open Book and they give you everything, Book, Scantron and a envelope to send it back to them. No Pencil or Stamp. Cheap Bastards. LOL

Heres the Website and the Phone number

http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Education.asp

"Boating Safety Classes"
Old     (melanie_g)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-14-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
I wish they would do that here!!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-14-2006, 2:36 PM Reply   
There is no government like no government. Time to move...No matter what course they require, there will still be idiots out there, there is not cure for that. IMO, its just another way for the government to interfere with our freedoms. It might be free now, but sooner or later a tax will be involved somewhere...
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-14-2006, 3:00 PM Reply   
I've been wanting this for years and I'm glad to see that it might actually happen. Even with the testing/licensing I'm sure there will be idiots on the water, but right now 99% of the people doing dumb stuff on the water do it because they don't know any better. Nobody forced them to sit down and read the rules of boating. If they had, they'd be much better boaters. I think it will make a huge difference on the water.

I'm assuming that PWC riders will also have to take the test and they certainly should. They are even more clueless than most boat drivers.

The only drawback to this is that it will be more difficult to get somebody to pull you. For example, if I have my brother on the boat and he's got no license because he doesn't usually spend time on the water, then he won't be able to get behind the wheel despite the fact that he grew up driving boats and is certainly capable.

However, I'm willing to give up that convenience for more safety and common sense on the water.

I think they can definitely make it simple enough to do. It's a piece of cake to read through the driver's handbook and take your driver's test for your regular driver's license. So I'm sure it would be just as easy to do the same for your boat license.
Old    walt            10-14-2006, 3:24 PM Reply   

quote:

but sooner or later a tax will be involved somewhere...

There's no tax on a CDL so why would there be one on a BDL ? Not likely !

Yes there will always be stupid people and those that just don't care about being safe but there are many that just don't know any better so it would help if done properly.

IMO it would be better if it was a actual class that you had to show up at.
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-14-2006, 3:45 PM Reply   
You've got to love California. Man there always trying to get our money! I can't believe all the people that are saying this is going to help. I honestly don't think a traing class will help. I mean look at all the stupid drivers on the road. Do you realy think a traing class is going to change anything. I sure don't! Now I can understand a optional training class that will lower your insurance rates but not a manditory one. As a owner of a boat this is going to make my life a nightmare. For instance, currently CA states "your boat your responsibility." Thus, it's going to be up to all us boat owners to make sure that our second driver (for when we are riding) has taken this class or it will be our ticket. Not cool! Just my thoughts.
Old    walt            10-14-2006, 4:04 PM Reply   
So you think that some Joe of the street that may of never even been in a boat let alone drive one will be just as safe as a person that took a class ?
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-14-2006, 4:23 PM Reply   
Some of the courses I've seen (and taken) are too broad. One course actually had material (and two questions on the test) pertaining to navigation in the Panama Canal. Boy, that knowledge comes in handy when I'm on my local lake.

Here is an article in the Contra Costa Times from this past July.
http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/living/science/14953785.htm

And here is the editorial that appeared in the September, 2006 issue of Trailer Boats Magazine.
http://www.trailerboats.com/output.cfm?id=1142047
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-14-2006, 4:24 PM Reply   
Likewise.....All for it!.So many who haven't a clue of what's happening. I'v been on the water almost all of my life, (40yrs). You would be surprised on how many people don't even know who has the right away is boating occasions..A class and licenes..i'm all for it. Since my son at 17 will be out next year without me. If you break the law get issued a ticket, get points against you, insurance goes up, loose license and half the num nuts out there will be gone!!!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-14-2006, 5:49 PM Reply   
** Off Topic**
Jason Bear- that pic in your profile....is the location anywhere near a high school? It looks familiar.
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-14-2006, 6:00 PM Reply   
ABOUT TIME!!!!
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-14-2006, 8:39 PM Reply   
I've done the California class for work, it is very general. It mostly pertians to ocean and large river navigation. Although rescuing the coast gaurd's floating dumby is lots of fun, but regular boater classes won't have that part.

dc
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-15-2006, 5:50 AM Reply   
My son had to do his here in Florida and he did the one in Texas before that. 99% of the topics and questions of the test are good to know, but do not have any effect on safety from my pov.

But... that being said, maybe something is better than nothing at all.
Old     (dutch)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-15-2006, 6:18 AM Reply   
In Europe (ar least in Holland) we don´tknow any better...have to be 18 and have a license in order to drive a boat with a speed over 20 km-hr. Problem is indeed that the boatowner is always driving the boat. I got my wife to get her license and a perfect pass in the boat,
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-15-2006, 5:54 PM Reply   
i hope that this isnt just talk from the county. it would be one of the best things to happen to the boating world.i would spend up to a few hundred dollars on a lisence/class if i had to.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-16-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
It's a great theory: implement a test, license everybody, no more idiots on the water. The problem is no written licensing process can teach common sense. The people with common sense may learn a thing or two, but the stupidity on the water will prevail.

An actual boating test may be helpful, but that would really start jacking up costs. Any boating test should start with launching the boat. This would fail more than half the people at Lake Anderson on any given weekend. Similar to a drivers license there should be a different test and class of license for the type of boating (inland waters, ocean, power, sail)
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-16-2006, 10:42 AM Reply   
"Once again California is tryng to make everything that is fun a pain in the butt"

It's called liberalism
Old     (board2death)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-16-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
This is DEFINITELY a step in the right direction.
Next lets require all boat drivers to be over 18 and carry insurance too! That way when some know it all kid runs into my boat at the dock he should have known better, is old enough to assume responsibility and has insurance to cover his dumb a@! moves
Old     (nitro909)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-17-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
Jason, of course there are lots of idiot drivers out there, but just think how many more there would be if there was no drivers ed or drivers license test to pass. I agree that many (if not most) of the morons out there (behind a cars and boats) would become better drivers if they are aware of the "rules of the road"
I bet that if you were to poll people out on the street, many of them wouldnt know what to do when they come upon a flashing red light, or who has the right of way at a stop sign. These people have licences, but are also unaware. These are the same people who get mad at you for following the law because they dont know that they are wrong. These people think they own the road and the waterways, no matter how many other people are out there too.
A license wont magically solve the problems, but a little bit of knowledge can go a long ways.
Old     (closer)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-22-2006, 7:07 AM Reply   
I am quite surprised that you do not need a licence now to drive a boat. You are driving a piece of machinery that weighs a few thousand kilo's at say 20 mph. That can do some serious damage to someone or something. I live in the canary islands and started boarding a few months ago with a jet ski. I had to take my powerboat licence and international certificate of competency just to drive that. Anyway I have sold my ski and now own a boat. The problem I have is only my brother and me are qualified to drive. The licence cost me and my brother nearly 1,300 dollars between us to get qualified. Now we have freinds who are getting into boarding because I have the boat etc etc. I have said to some of my mates 'you use my board, my boat, my fuel why dont you go and get your licence so you are qualified to drive and can be useful. None seem to be keen to spend the money. that means if my brother can not go, I can not board and vise versa. It is a real pain in the backside!!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-22-2006, 8:35 PM Reply   
Washington is already inacting a law like this, but it is being phased in...

I personally think its a great idea, will it fix everything...nope, but its a step in the right direction..

(Message edited by ghostrider_2 on October 22, 2006)
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-25-2006, 6:10 PM Reply   
According to a letter to the editor in the Dec 2006 issue of Trailer Boats Magazine, New Jersey has passed legislation requiring all boaters to complete a mandatory approved boating course by June 1, 2009.
Old     (fuzzball)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-26-2006, 2:16 PM Reply   
I do a lot reading on here but very rarely post. With that said, I can't see where people would be so mad about this. I read on WW posts all of the time with people griping about unsafe drivers on the water. Let's face it, no test is going to make everyone safer. But, it would give a start for enforcing some of the idiots who drop the cash on a huge boat, then make you wait an hour while they try to figure out how to launch it, then about run you over later in the day cause they have no idea how to drive. If requiring a license means me getting checked by the police more, bring it on. It's worth it to see the moron get his license yanked and have to look at his boat sitting in his driveway because he didn't have enough sense to learn before he bought...and nobody made him. If you want to be responsible and let people know you're serious about your sport, you should step up and prove it.