Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (mattbob)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-19-2003, 10:03 AM Reply   
We are buying a 2002 X-star left-over. We want to add a heater and tower lights. Our dealer is new to the Mastercraft line and has never installed these options. We are thinking about installing them ourselves. Does anyone have any pictures or either option or any experience installing a heater or lights. We are using mastercraft parts. Thanks
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-19-2003, 10:39 AM Reply   
Does the dealer have a service department? Are you planning on talking it somewhere else for service or warranty work? I would be very afraid to buy a new boat from a dealer who doesn't know how to put in a heater. Easily one of the simplest options to install.
Old     (mattbob)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-19-2003, 10:54 AM Reply   
It's not that the dealer doesn't want to install them, but if it's easy enough we may not want to pay the installation costs. I've searched for pictures of both options and can't find anything. I'm particularly interested in how the lights mount on the tower and how to get the wires for the lights. (the towers are prewired - right?)
Old    hydrotek            03-19-2003, 11:19 AM Reply   
Matt,

The towers are not prewired unless the boat was ordered with the tower lights. its not that hard to do, especially with two people. you will need a long piece of wire or something similar. I used the inside of an old jet ski steering cable. You will feed this through the top section of the tower once you drill holes and use a pick to grab it and pull it through. you can attach the wires to this to pull them through. You will need to unbolt the lower section of the tower from the boat, which is simple. email me if you have any questions.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-19-2003, 11:35 AM Reply   
what about the heater? anyone done that? my dealer quoted me $800 to install a heater in my boat. wasnt too excited about doing that one.
Old     (mattbob)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-19-2003, 2:42 PM Reply   
Look in overtons at their heater pricing. Nothing close to $800.
Old     (jrichard)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-19-2003, 3:01 PM Reply   
Matt,

The heater installation is a bit of work, but it is not difficult. Given that you can buy a 3 vent heater for less than $350 from Overtons, it's probably worth the $450 savings to spend a long afternoon intalling one. I've sent you an email from a post to RSW from a few years ago re: a heater and shower install. The boat is different than yours, but the installation is all the same.

JR
Old     (mattbob)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-20-2003, 6:50 AM Reply   
Thank you for the information John. I think we will be talking to the dealer this afternoon and then make a decision about doing the install ourselves. I'm still curious about how the lights mount to the tower if anyone has insight about that.
Old    6more            03-20-2003, 12:37 PM Reply   
Check out an article from Wakeworld.

http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/2003/shower.asp
Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-20-2003, 7:16 PM Reply   
You still might want to check another dealer. I was able to get my 2 vent heater and install for $400 when I bought my boat.