Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (scottycali4nia)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-16-2007, 6:14 PM Reply   
how good is a O'Brien Blindside five-o 138 with the O'Brien Blindside Tide bindings? I just bought one. and I would like to know if anyone has any thoughts on the board.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-17-2007, 3:03 PM Reply   
Maybe i am out of my mind, but O'brien doesnt make the Five-O... Blindside does... or did. I'll just pretend you didnt say o'brien for my statements. Never rode the Five-o or the bindings mentioned, but i heard good things about the five-o in the past. Also if you follow its history, i.e. how many years it was produced, it has had a long history which i think speaks of itself for ANY board. If the board is on the market year after year after year... then it is most likely popular ammongst the buyers/ riders
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-17-2007, 4:06 PM Reply   
blindside is its own company, and they went out of business a few years back so it must be pretty old. i have no idea how it rides, sry i couldnt help
Old     (scottycali4nia)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-17-2007, 5:05 PM Reply   
the board says O'brien on it though.. ??? sooo... i'd guess its an o'brien.. it has a metal sticker on it that says o'brien and the serial # ..
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-19-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/wwimages/boardguide/boards/2791.jpg
http://www.wakeworld.com/wwimages/boots/2798.jpg

i'm guessing this is the bindings and the board you have???? or are considering?

the board is OLD like david said, but it is a line from a "classic" if you are really considering wakeboarding seriously (more than just recreational fun surfing the wake) then i would consider a newer board... and definately better bindings for support
Old     (scottycali4nia)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-19-2007, 6:53 PM Reply   
yea thats the one.. haha its old huh?

hmm.. I got it for $175

I just wanna go out for fun.. maybe a flip or two.. will this board allow me to do that?
Old     (scottycali4nia)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-19-2007, 7:07 PM Reply   
I just took a look at that pic up close and mine is a little different.. I have 3 fins on the under side.. and my channels are different... and i have no bevel on the edges. The top of the board also has different ridges on it.. and the nose and tail shape are different from the pic.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-20-2007, 1:19 PM Reply   
hmmm.... not sure what to say on that one i guess.
are the three fins removable fins or is there two molded in fins on each end? if all the fins are removable you may want to consider removing the center fin and leaving only the outer fins on so the board will be a bit more loose and easier to maneuver on the surface of the water for sketchy landings. you may even consider removing the center fin even if it is the only removeable fin. Maybe not permanently, but temporarily to help teach/force yourself to rely on the board's edge for control vs relying on fins. Fins are more of a "crutch"... (maybe this isnt the best word to use)think of them as helpful assistants that help when you need them. CAN YOU TAKE A PICTURE OR TWO OF IT??

The board may be a little more "modern" with the specs about the channels you are giving.

Considering that the pros were doing all sorts of inverts and spins and stuff with just booties and straps and uni-directional boards... YES you can do a flip with your gear and much more... it is just that the bindings are most likely not very supportive as compared to modern bindings.

There is a higher chance of tweaking an ankle or something with your present bindings than something more advanced... but then again, maybe the bindings are better than they appear to be considering the ratings on this site. and also considering the idea that they might be different just as you claim the board is.

Over all--- i think you have a good board to begin/ pursue the sport with, but you may find yourself getting something better to carry your interest further into the sport should your interest continue to rise.

before i get too deep i'll let you soak this info up and post additional questions and info
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-20-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
your profile says you have a liquid force board... whats up with that? the board listed on your profile is great