Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old    grantmi1            08-13-2003, 12:23 PM Reply   
I am looking to get one of these jackets for protection. I got teh Jobe life jacket from Costco and I broke my ribs about 3 weeks ago. The jobe was ok did not have much support or protection. That is the last time I buy based on price for a life jacket.
Old    chase            08-13-2003, 12:32 PM Reply   
I really like my Assault! They run a size smaller though so order accordingly. I had to buy an extra-small and I am usually a small.

I'm not sure that it gives you any more protection though, it's just really comfy for a CGA jacket.

(Message edited by chase on August 13, 2003)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-13-2003, 12:35 PM Reply   
LOL..I bought the Jobe at costco for my first jacket too! They are pretty thick. If that didn't prevent the injury, I'm not sure any vest would.
Old    grantmi1            08-13-2003, 1:15 PM Reply   
If it doesnt ad extra protection than what is the hard plates for. I believe these jackets are way more protective. The jobe material is very soft and just lacks support.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-13-2003, 1:19 PM Reply   
oh...I didn't know anything about hard plates. They really have that Shii huh?
Old    grantmi1            08-13-2003, 1:20 PM Reply   
Lol, yaya.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-13-2003, 1:27 PM Reply   
Yo G..how did you land to break ribs? Did you land your ribs on the second wake?
Old    grantmi1            08-13-2003, 1:33 PM Reply   
I landed on my side on the second wake, I was going about 26 and cut pretty hard. This year my buddy and I got a new boat a new rope (we were using regular rope before and a 1988 centurion falcon before), a new board and new bindings, oh and life vest. I bought a 2003 mobius. So to say the least we have been crashing so damn hard this year. We have never crashed so much and so dang hard. For 10 years we have been used to a minature wake so we were not able to progress as much as we should have.
Old    chase            08-13-2003, 3:46 PM Reply   
What hard plates are you refering to? In the jacket? The assault doesn't have anything like that.
Old    grantmi1            08-13-2003, 3:56 PM Reply   
Well you get the idea they are plate like things or thicker material that is harder.

assault
Old     (jefefitz)      Join Date: May 2002       08-13-2003, 4:20 PM Reply   
that is the throttle vest, it does offer a lot more protection than the assault, but it is nowhere near as flexible. the recoil is a knock-off throttle vest.

(Message edited by jefefitz on August 13, 2003)
Old    dubers            08-13-2003, 4:22 PM Reply   
That's not the Assault it's the Throttle. the thicker mateirial is closed cell foam it doesn't absorb water like other vests. Honestly if you want a vest with solid rib protection you should go with the vapor. I have Assualts, Throttles, Outlaws, and Vapors on my boat and the best rib protection by far is from the Vapor vest. It is not uscg approved though
Old    grantmi1            08-13-2003, 4:59 PM Reply   
It is definately the assault unless they built their webpage incorrectly.

http://www.oneill.com/wake/catalog.phtml?state=Show_Specs&gender=m&cat=USCG%2 0Vests&series=Assault-Vests&prodid=1264
Old    grantmi1            08-13-2003, 5:01 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info guys I will check out the Vapor. It does say the Vapor has an exclusive rib cage padding, hmm cheaper too.

(Message edited by grantmi1 on August 13, 2003)
Old    grantmi1            08-13-2003, 9:00 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice on the vapor you were right, glad I didnt go for the wrong one.
Old    hockeyruss            08-14-2003, 5:09 AM Reply   
I just bought my son a recoil vest, he tried it on and it was so thick (bulky) that he decided he did not want it. It is like 2 inches thick. We returned it and got a Jet Pilot vest instead.
jp
Old    dubers            08-14-2003, 8:29 AM Reply   
The web page is correct just a little mis leading. We had to stop using the name Throttle on that vest, now it just appears as USCG vest on the web page. The Assault is the blue vest from the same web page.
Old    grantmi1            08-14-2003, 10:24 AM Reply   
Thanks Jer, not trying to be a dick.
Old    dubers            08-14-2003, 11:57 AM Reply   
No worries just tryin to clear it up for you
Old    grantmi1            08-14-2003, 2:35 PM Reply   
So which one is the safest because I just bought the vapor and I don't think the padding is all that great so I think I am going to go back and try the Assault or Throttle whatever you call it. If it is not to restrictive I will buy it. Explain to me how the vapor has more protection I am not saying I do not believe I just do not understand because it does not seem that way.

(Message edited by grantmi1 on August 14, 2003)
Old    dubers            08-14-2003, 2:53 PM Reply   
I don't know what you mean by safest. The Vapor has the best protection where your ribs are. It's thinner than the Assault and the Throttle everywhere else to be less restrictive. If your looking for more padding in the front and back I would give the edge slighlty to the Throttle, compared to the Assualt
Old    grantmi1            08-14-2003, 2:56 PM Reply   
Hmm I sure do like the way the Vapor feels.
Old    dubers            08-14-2003, 3:24 PM Reply   
Have you worn it on the water yet? I wish I didn't have to wear a USCG vest so I could wear the Vapor without worrying about a ticket