Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    Coltj11            05-12-2014, 2:19 PM Reply   
I know everyone is going to have their own opinions on this, but I am looking to compound and wax my boat this week. Looking to take off as many water lines and oxidation as possible (its not that bad but want to bring the shine back). Thanks!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-12-2014, 2:26 PM Reply   
what color is your boat
Old     (robertsjut)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-12-2014, 2:29 PM Reply   
I was wondering the same question also. My boat is red/black.

Thanks for the help.
Old    Coltj11            05-12-2014, 2:39 PM Reply   
Dark green and white with a small amount of black! Thanks!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-12-2014, 3:35 PM Reply   
The reason I ask is because I have found that the Meguiars Boat wax is great when it come to dark colors. Its super Oily so if you have dark colors like black its real good at making them darker. Colors like white I don't notice it as much. My boat is red and you can clearly see a Waxed Vs Non waxed section just by color. The non waxed sections tend to look whiter and the waxed sections are much darker. So with that said. No the compound. I say go with the lease abrasive compound you can get away with.

This is why. If you use compound you have to go at least 3 other steps, over the top of compound. Step #1 Compound Step #2 A Micro Abrasive , This is a 1/2 compound 1/2 polish. Step #3 Hand Glaze Step #4 Wax.

So if you can get away with Compound you go directly to step #2 Micro Compound, and so on.
Old     (WakeboardCayman)      Join Date: Sep 2013       05-12-2014, 4:21 PM Reply   
I just used Meguiars Boat Wax 3 stage kit the weekend and it worked wonders. Our boat mostly white and it really made it shine but I agree with "G" it really made the black pop. I would imagine it would work great with dark green as well.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       05-12-2014, 6:27 PM Reply   
I have been using Meguiar's Flagship wax for years along with 3M compounds and polishes, but I just recently used Marine 31. It is a product marketed by Autogeek.net (which is where I was getting my pads from) and I decided to give it a try. I got their Carnauba wax + sealant and loved the application/removal. It spread so thin and even it was hard to tell where the wax was. I applied with a DA polisher and removed with a microfiber towel. Almost no dust or effort removing by hand. I haven't had the boat in the water yet, but I'm anticipating good things.

They offer some color restorer and oxidation remover products as well, but I haven't used them because I still had my 3M stuff left over. I will use them in the future though if they are and easy to use as the wax was.

http://www.autogeek.net/marine-31-boat-care.html
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-13-2014, 10:14 AM Reply   
if you absolutely have to compound it i used g's method that he shared with everyone here a while back. 1) Wetsand (only really bad spots in my case and to blend ghosting from decals i removed) 2) 3m superduty compound 3) 3m finess-it II followed by a 4)good wax and was beyond happy. A year later i just use turtle wax as you dry everytime i pull the boat and it looks brand new. Unless your boat is really weathered you probably can just use finesse-it II and then glaze and wax or just wax. by the time i was done doing mine( 40+ hrs in 3 days straight) i didn't give an f about glaze i just wanted to be done and on the lake so I waxed it and called it good.