Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (randomraider)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-01-2007, 1:11 PM Reply   
Ok, I have a few questions that are puzzling me due to inexperience in the sport and figured you guys could help out.

I'm a fairly big guy, 6'3", 250-pounds and I've been having problems getting good air on my wake jumps. I've attributed this mostly to two things, form and execution leading up to the jump, and weight. I've started doing better with how I approach the wake and it is making a difference as I can get as high as about 5-6 feet maybe on a good jump. However, I am wondering if I am going to constantly be faced with smaller jumps because I'm simply heavier than most riders.

I'd like to hear from some of the other big guys on this board to get an idea of how high they can get on a good jump. I want to know if I'm going to continuously be limited or if it is in fact possible to get good air and be a big boarder.

Also of note, I ride a liquid force stance 142, which has a continuous rocker. From what I've read, continuous doesn't yield as much pop as 3-stage. Would it make a big difference if i went towards an aggressive 3-stage? How much of a difference are we talking? foot? two feet? 17 feet?

I know there are other aspects that make the jump as well...I'm mainly riding behind a 2001 Malibu sunsetter with a wedge and makeshift fat sacks, so I'm assuming it is not wake related (though I'm sure there are boats out there providing a better wake that could help out).

I've only been riding for 4 months, but I've progressed pretty well for the most part...can do your surface tricks, one wake 180's reg and fakie, ollie tricks, etc.....but i feel to keep progressing..i need to get more boost.

Any suggestions or information would help out.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-01-2007, 2:02 PM Reply   
Dude for 4 months you are straight killing it then. I ride with someone who is of your size and he goes pretty big just like the rest of us. I'd say on avarage somewhere around 7 to 8 feet. I would say that is a common height for most intermidiate and advanced riders. I think that you should look into another board as the one that you are ridding doesn't have the greatest rocker. It is a very mild continuous rocker and designed for the weekend warrior not the core rider who is looking to progress quickly. I think that you need to demo some boards and try to find something else that suits you. I wish that I could attribute everything to the board but it just takes time to master getting good lift off of the wake. You may need to hold you edge longer to get more pop or just try to focus on boosting off the lip more if speed and going w2w is not an issue for you. Try different things and go from there. Also ridding with people that are better than you can always be benificial. I'd say that you are on your way though man.. Good work and keep it up.

Oh. it never hurts to sneak an extra fat sac in there to get those extra inches either. I like how you didn't blame the wake as many others do. You just have to kill it behind what you got.
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-01-2007, 2:28 PM Reply   
7 to 8 ft is a huge wake jump, the only time I even get close to that would be on something I booted in to the flats.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-01-2007, 2:53 PM Reply   
Ha well it looks like you have the right boat for it shane. Sic ride.
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-01-2007, 3:29 PM Reply   
thanks
Old     (randomraider)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-02-2007, 6:49 AM Reply   
Thanks Robert.

I guess I just see all these pics of people throwing it huge and wonder if that is ever even a possibility for me.

I am definitely looking to buy a new board for next season. When I bought mine, I was looking mainly at something that was rated as beginner friendly. I didn't do much research on it, just found a good deal and the reviews said it was a good beginner board, so I snagged it.

I've been working on holding the edge through the wake, and honestly that's what's helped the most so far. I'll have to try to figure out what boosting off the lip means though =) and I can work on that as well.

appreciate the insight guys.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-02-2007, 7:09 AM Reply   
Brad,

For someone only riding 4 months I would say you are doing very well.

When you start looking for a new board I would suggest you try out the O'Brien Natural 144 . I know a couple of bigger guys that ride this board and they go pretty big! The board has 3 stage rocker so that should help with the pop, it also has very little drag for a three stage board so you wont have to work as hard to generate speed into the wake, soft landings with a center spine, and beveled edges to prevent catching.

Keep charging,
jjakober
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-02-2007, 7:18 AM Reply   
I recommend giving the Natty 144 a try as well. The board is awesome! I'm not the biggest guy, but still fairly heavy compared to a lot of riders. I'm about 210 and can take things fairly big. I think you'll be able to go just as large as anyone if you want...just gotta work on your technique.
Old     (randomraider)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-02-2007, 7:40 AM Reply   
Well, as I said up in the first post, I get 5-6 feet on a jump if it's a good jump. My typical jumps are between 3-4.5 probably. Most of the time I can look back on a weak jump and attribute it to something I wasn't doing right (not holding the edge through the wake or something). I just need to continue to work on that.

As for board recommendations, I have been on here perusing the boards for a while now and have looked at a lot of different threads regarding boards and the Natural was definitely one i wanted to look at.

I've taken the center fins off my board and like the looser feel. I am really not in a location that will allow me to demo boards, so I'm going to have to go off of personal reviews most likely.

I do know I want a three stage rocker. I'm intrigued by the 8 molded fin setups and wonder if that would provide enough tracking for me and still have the loose feel.

Lots of time to think about it though....won't get to board again for about another five months.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-02-2007, 7:51 AM Reply   
the natural definitely tracks awesome when you put it on edge and is loose as a goose when it's not.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-02-2007, 8:43 AM Reply   
Your size and boat are not the issues... I am 6'5" 230, and was going W2W behind a 1987 17' Baja I/O with no balast...

Work on your form.

Oh, I ride a Trip 143.
Old     (bhack10)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-13-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
I bet you could jump higher if you pitched in more to the guys that own that boat.