Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (jmkshm)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-09-2007, 7:14 PM Reply   
This is my first time looking at buying a new boat and the practice that is amazing me is how each dealer I am working with has provided me with and MSRP that is absolutely ridiculous. For example, I am looking at the X1 and the dealer has the base price at $48,500 plus another $4500 for a single axle trailer. That is before any of the options are added. Do these people not realize that we will check the manufacturer's website? Mastercraft states that the MSRP for an X1 is $43000 w/ trailer. So the dealer is trying to get a $10k head start. I am having the same thing happen w/ Malibu. One of the quotes that I have for a V-ride has $112 for the first battery, b/c evidently that wasn't included from the factory.

Is this uncommon for dealers to try to be this slimy? They are talking about how they are giving me a huge $3k discount, but when you are starting off $10k high, it just plain makes me mad.

What is the best approach to counter acting this? I have heard that you should shoot for 10% off of MSRP as a standard good deal. Is that off of what the REAL msrp should be or the fake MSRP that the dealer provides?

Any advice you can provide is great.

Thanks.
Old     (lrbs_xstar)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-09-2007, 7:17 PM Reply   
i had the exact same problem with an X1. The dealer wanted 45k for the boat with nothing but standard options

i eneded up buying a used xstar
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-09-2007, 7:19 PM Reply   
Just low ball them and see if they will take it. Thats what I did when I got my truck. I didn't even think he would consider it but he took it.
Old     (lrbs_xstar)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-09-2007, 7:21 PM Reply   
yeah thats exactly what i did with the X1 i was looking at jeff and the guy said yes but i ended up not buying it
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-09-2007, 7:26 PM Reply   
Just go out and buy a 30 year old boat like I did. :-)
Old     (slfxm)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-10-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
The prices for new wakeboard boats seem way too high to me. There are a few that seem more reasonably priced (Moombas and Sangers for example) but a lot of the others seem overpriced.

A boat is a lot simpler mechanically than a car so I would expect a boat to be cheaper. Of course there's the "economy of scale" thing -- a lot more people own cars than boats. But still, 50K for a 20-21ft boat?

I'm looking more seriously at used boats now. I'm just worried there may be too much maintenance involved with a 12-15 year old boat.

By the way, Mike -- Nice looking boat.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-10-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
umm...boats are priced almost EXACTLY like cars are. You can buy a $10K Kia just like you can a $10K Bayliner. The problem is that the "top 3" wakeboats are basically equivalent to BMW, Mercedes and Lexus. This class of automobiles (and boats) are catered SPECIFICALLY to the needs of a certain clientele- one that is willing to spend a bit more money on something that will be the BEST product for their application. Now, does that mean that you MUST buy that Lexus instead of a Toyota, or a MC/CC/Malibu instead of a Sanger/Moomba/etc? NOPE! If you don't like the price that someone is charging for their product, then don't buy it. And if you think wakeboats are all overpriced, go check out them Bayliners. Have fun with that one...
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-10-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
The thing you must consider in the msrp pricing is that does not include fright or prep. If an X1 is based at 39,995 you have to add for freight and prep of this boat. It will vary depending on the location of the dealer. Also the price point models like the X1 and v-ride have a lot lower margin in them to begin with. The more expensive the boat the bigger the deal you can get its just common sense.
Old     (slfxm)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-10-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
Scott,

Maybe you're right. I just always want the BMW at the Kia price I guess!
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-10-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
Supply and Demand. They are not being slimy if people are willing to pay the price, Not that there aren't "slimy" dealers out there. If they don't need to negotiate because they know some one will pay the price what is the big deal. If they cannot move their inventory they will be forced to lower the prices. Focusing on MSRP is a waste of time. Check the local market conditions and learn what is a fair price for the dealers in the region and YOU.

I agree the prices are crazy but I looked for a deal that I thought was fair for both me and the dealership, while always keeping in mind my purchase is a long term relationship because I do expect them to address any issues that come up. Boats and more specifically top of the line inboards are a luxury that costs dollars.

I want to make it clear I am NOT a dealer nor do I have any vested interest in the indusrty before anyone thinks I am "siding" with the sellers.
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-10-2007, 3:46 PM Reply   
Johnny,
You where quoted MSRP. 43K IS NOT MSRP on an X-1!

Nationally advertized price on a X-1 is
$42995 + FREIGHT AND PREP

$42995 gets you Boat motor trailer
Boat equppied w/ 310 HP MUTLIPORT RTP
MasterCraft Speed control, double hard mount ballast tanks, new 2007 Tower, single axle MC trailer w/ brakes. Any option above that are extra. $42995 IS NOT MSRP !!!

You need to do some EXTRA research. Hit you dealer with these #s and go from there

Last year it was $39995 ++

Hope this helps. Don't be upset you now have the correct info...go get em
Old     (ronskal)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-10-2007, 5:41 PM Reply   
If you feel like you are getting it jobbed up your rear by the dealer, you probably are.

In 05 I went to test drive and likely buy a Supra 21V. We were happy with the boat etc. then the dealer (I live in Texas) tried to charge me a few grand over MSRP for the thing. Supra has or did when I last looked prices for everything on their web site. I knew what I was dealing with and would not budge and neither did the dealer.

Before I walked, I told him good for him if he could make extra for him and his family. No hard feelings, it's just business.

The Texas inboard market is hot and prices are high. I found a year old boat in Kansas and went and picked it up.