Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (jmkshm)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-05-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
I have found two boats that are fairly equally priced, but was wondering what everyones opinion of these two are. They both have ballast, and PP, as well as tower speakers and decent sound systems. They both have under 200 hrs. I know that the LSV will be bigger, which would be nice since I have twin 3 YO's and they take up more room than any adult, but it was the old hull, which I know less about. Each is about 1.5 hrs from me, but in opposite directions (grrr). I have ridden behind the X2, and liked it, but was wondering how everyone felt about the 23 LSV. Let me know your opinions. Thank you very much for any help you can give me.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-05-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
I have been in both and this is just personal oppinion here. I like bigger boats so I would go for the LSV.....Both have great wakes and are great boats but I always like the room. Yesterday I went out with 7 people and one little kid....I can tell you that everyone in my 23 footer was still ounging and relaxing and thats the way I like it. Depends on what you are looking for in a boat. Not saying one is better then the other, just saying I like the lareger V-drives
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-05-2006, 2:59 PM Reply   
As you know they are two way different boats.
The 2003 LSV has the diamond hull ( i am pretty sure) and it tends to not have a very lippy wake but more of a gentle ramp. This is based my experience with my friends 2003 lsv. You really have to load it up to get the wake that I am used to on a smaller boat like the X-Star. Now the Xstar will have a great wake with a nice pop off the top. But you are going to sacrifice a ton of interior room and storage space.
Bottom line is if you want it more of a family boat but want a good wake (with extra Ballast added) go with the LSV.
IF you want more of a pure wakeboarding boat then go with the X Star.
Both are great boats but very different!!

Just for your reference. I went from a 21' SSV to a Moomba Mobius XLV 23' and now to a 2004 VLX 21'.
I found that I did not like the wake and the amount of ballast needed to get the wake on the XLV to where i wanted it. I loved the room in the boat and my family misses it as well ( 3 kids) but the VLX still offers a pretty roomy interior and the wake is second to none with Stock Ballast and the wedge. So in my case I thought bigger would be better and it was for some things but realized I used my boat more for wakeboarding than I did for Towing the family around.
Good luck
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-05-2006, 3:02 PM Reply   
Hey Johnny
I know of a 2004 23 LSV for sale in Knoxville, TN that I almost bought. The guy would let it go for 42k even, and it has 140 hours. It does not have PP and no tower speakers. I am buying almost the exact same boat for the same price in Kansas. I plan to add PP and NVS tower speakers later. If you are interested, PM me and I can give you the guys contact info. Not trying to hijack your thread here, just pāssing on some info in case this was the price range you were looking at.

(Message edited by atropine on September 05, 2006)
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-05-2006, 5:15 PM Reply   
Eric,you must not be talking about an 03' and newer X-Star....b/c you won't be sacrificing no room or storage to an LSV....as far as room,it's about the same but I'll go out on a limb and say that the X-Star has more storage room b/c of the bow but call it the same.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-05-2006, 5:26 PM Reply   
Big Ed- I hope all is well. I was talking about the older style X-Star not the one like Kevins . The older Style X-Star is small ( 91" beam) . That style does give up a lot of storage to the LSV.
Anyway I hope you are doing well and able to get out and ride.
Shoot me an e-mail if you guys ever make it down my way and we can hook up and ride.
E
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-05-2006, 5:38 PM Reply   
All is well,thanks for the great wishes.

Got Malibu now huh....stepping up in the world I see!

Ohh like my boat.....it is 90" beam and you can probably put 2 of the old X-star in the LSV.LOL
Definitely giving up everything but wake!
Old     (jmkshm)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-06-2006, 6:59 AM Reply   
Thank you guys. I really appreciate the help. I guess I will need to ride behind the LSV to find out how much ballast it will really take to make the wake nice to ride behind. The space seems very appealing, but I don't want to have to work twice as hard at boarding. Thanks again.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       09-07-2006, 11:31 PM Reply   
Go X-2, much better wake for boarding. The hull change for the LSV was in 04 which made it incredible when weighted, hard and steep. The 03 LSV wake is better for skiing. If you need space though...? Very tough call, have you looked for an 04 LSV?
Old    bmk            09-15-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
I think a better comparison is the X-15 2006. We are also trying to decide on our new boat. We have a X-10 2002. We tried the X-star, X-15, X-2, BU 23 LSV and BU VLX. We all know the X-star has one of the best wakes "but" that boat has other issues that are hard to get past. The X-15 has an amazing wake, large cabin, huge storage, GREAT SURF, wide rampy thick wakes. Loved it. But we are leaning towards the BU 23 LSV because for the same price we can get it loaded with our color choices, plus the customer service was great where we live. If you have to have a Mastercraft I suggest giving the little known X-15 a try. (End of season, some are getting 10K discounts)
Old     (marineworldcom)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-15-2006, 3:42 PM Reply   
I know the 205V/X-Star/X-2/X-1 hull design is becoming known for its versatility. The hull design throws a phat wake for wakeboarding. A nice slalom wake for the skiers and a fun surfing wake with out having to work hard for any of the desired wakes. I also think there is plenty of people space with the wrap around seating and deep open bow. Room for more people then I want to take on the Lake. The only reason I would go with a bigger boat would be for a smoother ride on rough water.

Upload
Upload
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-15-2006, 4:54 PM Reply   
I've owned both boats.

Apples to oranges.

Both have awesome wakes when weighted correctly.

For the LSV: you'll need to pack a LOT of weight for a lippy wake, but when you get it right, it's one of my favorites. You get the lip AND a huge rampy transition. However you'll need 1200 pounds in the back and a wedge. This boat needs a lot of weight in the rear.