Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old    waker80            06-01-2004, 3:58 PM Reply   
I have been looking for a wakeboard boat and thought i found one. A 87 nautique 2001. I have heard peopel talk abotu what a good wake they have but this my friend i talked too told me that they are really poor boats. He says they dont handle well and they dont plan off good even at cruising speed, he said they are sloppy when a rider cuts out and so on. He said nothing good abotu them so i was wanting to know opinions from other people. Are they a good wakeboard boat. Do they throw a good wake do they handle weight, i know alot of people have them so please let me hear all the opinions good or bad on them. Also what do you think an 87 with 360 hours would be worth.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-01-2004, 4:47 PM Reply   
Great boat, great wake and probably great condition with only 360 hours. Only problem is the interior is small. Add a monster tower and racks for $1500 and some sacks for $500 and you have a great started wb boat. It should be worth about 10K, NADA says there are not 87 Nautique 2001s, but the 19' ski natique was at a high retail of $7250. But those are low hours so it might be worth more.
Old     (gbphantom)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-01-2004, 5:04 PM Reply   
I have a '87 2001 and I think it's a great boat. It's not a SANTE, but in that sense your comparing apples and oranges. I like to wakeskate behind it and love the wake. It's a little narrow, due to the narrow beam, and is super steep. 360 hours is great too.
Old    vandal            06-01-2004, 6:06 PM Reply   
Yea, they are even better wakeskate boats.
Old     (fuel)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-01-2004, 11:37 PM Reply   
The Ski Nautique 2001 was made from 1982 to 1989. So, yes, they made 2001s in 1987. Anyway, they are great boats. Your friend is full of it. They plane off fine, even when weighted down (although changing the prop would still help it some in that area). There is some sway when using an extended pylon, but not bad. With a tower that sway goes away. As far as handling goes, I can spin the thing around on itself in a 180 so fast that if you aren't holding on, it will throw you out of the boat.

The only drawback to the boat is the limited amount of space available, but IMHO if you want to bring a lot of people to the lake get a pontoon boat.
Old    lucky            06-02-2004, 4:57 AM Reply   
They handle better then any other boat that I have ever driven. I sold mine for a SAN but I already miss it. Your friend really does not know what he is talking about. You will not find a better boat in the price range for wakeboarding. Good Luck.
Old    wakechick            06-02-2004, 6:29 AM Reply   
If you add a ton of weight to them they will not plane off real easy. Don't get me wrong, they are great boats - I know several people who own them and I have no complaints. They throw a nice wake. I just know from experience that when you start putting 2000lbs in them everybody has to move to the front of the boat for it to plane
Old    warlock00            06-02-2004, 6:57 AM Reply   
We put about 2000lbs in our and we have no trouble planning out, nor do we have to move to the front. Phat seat in the back(turned around backwards) 300lbs of sand, 150lbs by the seats and another 150lbs under the nose. We do have a 4 blade prop on it which is needed for that much weight. The wake is somewhat steep, but we like it alot. Only draw back is the limited space. Ours is an 85 with almost 900 hrs on it.
Old    waker80            06-02-2004, 7:52 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the info
How does everybody else weight there 2001 down. Also, what towers look sweet on them, i was a little concerened with the monster tower being too low. I am 6'3'' and want pleanty of head room.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-02-2004, 1:39 PM Reply   
We have a '88 Nautique and it handles much better then our '97 Super Sport/Air Nautique. For my feeling it more stable the the SAN, but the space is very small. The wake is great, just use some sacks, it's a little steep and narrow but great.
Old    ihatetubers            06-02-2004, 3:56 PM Reply   
on ours we have two side 500lb lounge seats, these are really great because u can sit on them they are also really comfortable. then in the back all i could fit was 2 60 pound sand bags and wraped them in garbage bags, then under the legs of the driver theres a 60 lb sand bag and under teh seat on teh left that lifts up thers a 60 lb sand bag. we wanted to put more in teh bow but theres too much amps and subs and what not. its also a good idea to get the four blade prop it really helps. and i dont know about the best looking tower but we have the wake air pro comp tower, i think it looks fine but we have speakers hanging down and fipped upside down and sometimes we hit our heads on em. sometimes teh taller towers tend to look awkward just my opinon though.