Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (3205lpv)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-21-2006, 4:20 PM Reply   
Ok now that you clear that 220 up for me. I never said that i didn't like it. I said that I didn't like the lift it was on. You now are putting words in my mouth.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-22-2006, 12:51 AM Reply   
Ok now that you clear that 220 up for me. I never said that i didn't like it. I said that I didn't like the lift it was on. You now are putting words in my mouth.

tjk do that? noooo, not him!

LOLOLOLOLOL!!
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       02-22-2006, 9:30 AM Reply   
Read this article http://wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=594

It looks like it is not a fishing boat. Its a do everything half assed and nothing great kinda boat.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-22-2006, 12:35 PM Reply   
this is all i have to say,

i'll let someone else buy it before i d....no, i'll never buy it! lol.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-22-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
thought this was pretty cool:

Upload
Old    robertt            02-22-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
What is that last picture?????

I cant figure out if I like it or not, but all this new MC stuff is freakin me out.

If that's a center seat boat...I totally dig it.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       02-22-2006, 2:31 PM Reply   
I am assuming the hard-top also serves as a tower. Is that a tow point behind the bike wheel?

Also, I just noticed that there is no ski pylon. It would be a little weird to have a DD MC and not be able to get a real slalom pull. If anybody saw it at the show, can you tell us the company pitch. Was there a decent amount of buzz?
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       02-22-2006, 3:18 PM Reply   
"You must be new, the X Star has only been voted Wakeboard Boat of the year for 2003,2004, and 2005 right here on Wakeworld, by YOU, the readers, NOT a Magizine(Powerboat which gives it to Malibu, when MasterCraft,Nautique, and Supra don't even parcitpate)."

Brian, your profile indicates that you're pretty new as well! I don't really advocate flaming some guy because he just joined wakeworld, but if someone doesn't like the X-star that's their opinion and the X-star certainly doesn't need the MC community coming to it's defense. If you're going to challenge some boat's credentials based on magazine reports then I would suggest riding more and reading less.

By the way the X-star was featured in the rag you speak of.

http://www.powerboatmagazine.com/archives/tocarchives/2003/04.php
}}
Old     (spelsh)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-22-2006, 6:03 PM Reply   
Hello board, first post. It looks to me like there are scuba tanks on the right side of the engine cover. Maybe its just targeted for people who need one boat that can do almost everything. Couldn't it also be targeted for people who have yachts as a run around boats? Personally, I think it is very nice looking. Good for MC, or any manufacturer for trying something different.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-23-2006, 5:30 AM Reply   
not scuba tanks those are boat fenders.

again most people here have little to no ocean exposure, this thing would get swamped on anything but the calmest of days. It is an intercoastal/bay boat, with an elevated risk of losing your drive gear over an outboard.

If they would have fitted it with outboard engine(s) people might take it a little more seriously.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-23-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
"not scuba tanks those are boat fenders"

Sorry, they are scuba tanks. Look at the valves at the top.

" It is an intercoastal/bay boat, with an elevated risk of losing your drive gear over an outboard"

Not true at all. As I said before, most sport fishers are inboard DDrives. How is this one at anymore risk than the others?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-23-2006, 8:27 AM Reply   
OK they do look like scuba tanks. I'll give you that

however, the "sport fishers" in the hatteras/ablemarle/cabo variety are 40'+ and not designed to go in shallow water. hence why they can have direct drive (typically big diesels, I know there are local CAT dealers that sponsor billfishing tournaments) also they have substantially taller hulls to handle big waves, and they are not open in the front. these boats also cost $1m or more when purchased new.

this boat is nowhere in the same league, and you would NOT go marlin fishing in this boat. are there marlin in kansas?

again, this boat is about the same size/setup as a bay boat. the hull is simply not designed to handle big water. and, while this is not a problem in kansas, there happen to be oyster shoals and tide changes in bays, hence why most have outboards

Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-23-2006, 8:34 AM Reply   
I also want to point out that I don't have a problem with this boat, other than the fact that its usefulness is limited by its design.

shallow hull is not good for the ocean

direct drive is not good for shallow water

it would be a great boat to go camping with on a freshwater lake.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-23-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
Just because I live in KS does not mean I don't travel quite extinsively. We go deep sea fishing twice a year. In the winter we go to Miami, and in the summer we go to Alaska. Now, I am not saying that the boat would be a good deep sea fisher. Although it would work on some days staying close to shore. As far as bays are concerned, know your tides. I know its not in the same league as a 40+ footer, but I think you are making a bigger deal out of it than it needs to be. People run DD, VD, and I/Os in the bays all the time.
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-23-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
It seems to me after really looking at this boat, it would be perfect for the intercostal/bay waters. Even offshore conddiering wave activity. Look boating in the ocean is far different the inland boating, many more varibles. As a smart and prudent offshore/coastal boater weather is the largest variable that you must look at. I review some websites before going out of the intercoastal.
My first thought was as many of ou stated here....bow is not tall enough....then I started to think about the boats inteneded purpose....

Direct Drive is shallow water......Whats wrong with it? You think all the 40-50 Vikings that have inboards are doomed until they reach open water? No, if you don't follow the markers and have charts to show depths, you will be in trouble. The smart ocean/coastal boater has charts, we know what those little red and green poles mean...if you dont follow them....you will learn quickly why you should... I like the idea of an inboard in the ocean less corrosive propeties and ALOT cheaper than replacing a outdrive.

I could see taking this boat from Lauderdale to Key West with Bikes and pulling into the marinas at night and staying in a room....unload the bikes and cruise....

Lake Boaters will not understand the boat...Intercoastal boaters could see a need...
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-23-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
Agreed. You see 100ft+ yachts sitting in the bays and inlets in Ft. Lauderdale. I am sure they hit bottom all the time.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-23-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
SCUBA TANKS!
Upload
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-23-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
you don't see the yachts fishing for sea trout or redfish in the gulf cost do you?

that is what 22' bay boats typically target

(Message edited by timmy on February 23, 2006)
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-23-2006, 9:58 AM Reply   
you have to also consider this Mastercraft will have a much lower draft than the big inboard yachts and fishing boats....Come'n people..Its common sense/boating sense. Growing up on Inland lakes and boating is absolutely NO comparison to the knowledge needed to venture out into the big water.....totally different animal. Now with that said, I only boat down here in Florida, so its either sand or coral rock for the most part...Hell, you can be 4 miles off shore in the gulf on be in 2-5 foot of water...You have to know where you are at all times.....I have been in places where I got in trouble, lucky for me it was sand....no damage.....I have seen 40'+ cruisers beached because of tides, completely out of the water (direct/vdrives) no problem once the tides come in.....too each their own.

Picture from about 20 miles offshore of Key West near the Marquessas......Its all about the weather....

(Message edited by prostar205v on February 23, 2006)
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-23-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-23-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
Not the point. They sit along the inlets. Tides don't affect them, and they don't hit bottom. With that said, I never said this would be a good deep water boat. I would never take a boat of that size far enough out that I couldn't swim back. I am just saying that it could work on the RIGHT day. I wouldn't buy it for an ocean fisher. I think it would be a great boat for big lake fishing. Which I think MC is primarly going to market the boat for. I hope.
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-23-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
Tim,

Not sure where you are boating in the intercoastal, gulf or atlantic....the answer to your question is obvious...Salt Water= Big Boats, Little boats...This is not a Flats boat....then again pretty sure you wouldnt be skiing in 1-3 foot of water.....If people are, they are running alittle low from the gene pool, if you know what I mean....Fact of the matter as you should know living in Florida, there are good boating days and bad boating days....choose wisely and all is well. I don't care if I had a center console 26' Pursuit with twins....if they waves are 4-6 foot....No chance on me going out to the blue water....Hell 4-6 waves going out the inlet is HELL.. This boat WILL sell.. The off-shore market is more than able to absorb another 22 foot boat.....the inboard market is SATURATED. When is the last time you saw an inboard ski boat in the intercoastal....its a rare occurance.
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-23-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
another one around the Marquessa's...notice the different water colors? Very important to know what the different colors mean. FYI: The Boat is a Cobalt 227 or 22.5 foot. Upload

(Message edited by prostar205v on February 23, 2006)
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-23-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
paul, you do realize that you are essentially agreeing with what I initially said? what are we arguing about again?

barefooter, I wouldn't be worried at all about being in a 26' pursuit with twins in 4-6. however in this boat you'd be swimming. a point we both agree on.
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-23-2006, 11:16 AM Reply   
Tim I think we can agree that this boat has alot of pratical purpose in the Florida market too...Ever see any pontoon boats in the intercoastal or even in the Gulf? Unfortunately, I have on more than 1 occasion. Simply put, whoever buys this boat will know it will fit their purpose.....I could see myself having this boat, if I took my family out in 4-6 footers in any sub 40' boat, boating would no longer be a family outing....if you know what I mean

Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-23-2006, 11:50 AM Reply   
I don't know. This thread has gone back and forth so much I forget what the hell I am even talking about.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       02-23-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
They're Nitrous tanks for keeping up with the outboards.

Just look at the color-Blue! Riiiiiiiiiight.
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-23-2006, 2:00 PM Reply   
http://207.170.215.108/eMarketing/Campaign/TemplateBlankRun.aspx?PageId=f7ba3919-1089-4c27-8112-1475f8d7e5b0&OrgId=1&ConId=2140
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-23-2006, 11:06 PM Reply   
tjk, why do you defend this goofy-ass boat to the death. i have a loyal mc enthusiast/owner buddy that said it is the dumbest $#!+ ever and will fail miserably. i'm pretty sure you wouldn't buy this, so it only makes sense that you are defending it solely because you are a mc nazi. i'm sure john dorton would be ashamed of you.

you need to realize that nowadays, the quality differences between the boat mfg's is measured with a micrometer, not a meterstick.

[that last thing was stolen from someone on themalibucrew.com]
Old    robertt            02-24-2006, 6:12 AM Reply   
I have no idea if it will be a flop or not, but why is everyone assuming that it was designed primarily for the ocean? Saltwater series???? Ok, but there are also many other boats (Xstar) included that you can get as a saltwater series boat.

Here in the midwest I could easily see this being a popular boat. Lake of the Ozarks is a perfect example.

Lots of bass boats, but a 19' bass boat is only use able EARLY in the morning. This MC would handle the chop 10 times better than a Ranger.

All hybrids are a trade off, but this boat would serve the needs of the average active family perfectly.

Kids want to go wakeboarding/tubing/etc.

Mom wants to tan on the boat.

Uncle wants to fish.

Everyone wants to party.

This boat would do it all with style.

Just my opinion.