Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-28-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
I'm going to try and surf with my 6 year-old niece this weekend. Any tips to getting up? So once you're up you just have her stand between your feet and hold onto your legs??

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-28-2007, 9:11 AM Reply   
Scroll down to "My 4 year old is surfing!". There are a few pics in there. It was his first time. But to answer your question, Yes. It was pretty easy. We got up without any problems. Good luck.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-28-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
Make sure they hold onto your legs and tell them not to push on the board while starting. My brother was able to get up with his 7 year old son this weekend who is almost 80 lbs by doing it this way.

Upload

(Message edited by timmyb on August 28, 2007)
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-28-2007, 10:30 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tip. I guess my biggest question is what do you do when you are starting to fall if they are between your legs. I don't want to fall on her or have the board smack her...my sister would kill me!
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-28-2007, 10:53 AM Reply   
Honestly, I wouldn't think too much about it. You'll know what to do at the right moment. You are probably big enough (compared to your neice) to decide which way the board goes. If you are falling forward, push the board out the rear. If you are falling backward, push the board out front. I'd just do it. Good luck.
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-28-2007, 10:53 AM Reply   
I got up with my 5 yr old daughter this last weekend by having her hold on around my neck. She's pretty small so I couldn't figure out how to have her stand on the board and me hold on to her at the same time. She strangled my neck until we were up. I was then able to hold the rope in one hand and her with the other. Once we threw the rope in it was easy to support her and surf.

I guess it depends on how big your niece is if this will work.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-28-2007, 11:58 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tips. She is pretty small so I'm thinking of getting up the same way you did Kenny. I think she would feel much more safe holding onto me than standing on the board. The only question will be if she will continue to let oxygen flow with how hard she is squeezing my neck!
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-28-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
Here's how I did it with my 2.5 year old:
Just let him sit between your legs and get up with one arm on the rope the other on the kid.

Upload
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-30-2007, 6:43 PM Reply   
plhorn, looks like a natural

great smile... thats gonna be a classic
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-02-2007, 8:45 AM Reply   
First timer, nephew Nate, age 5.

Upload