Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-31-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
So we finally upgraded from our old 86 inboard and bought a 2000 Malibu VLX with no wedge. It does have the center front bag. I see on Craigslist this:
Malibu wedge with mounting bracket and hardware. Brand new never used. Will fit all Malibu boats. This is the model that is controlled manually. Asking $300 for entire package. Cost is twice this price if ordered from Malibu dealer. Call Steve

Wondering if it is worth or even a good project to add this? Can it only be done by the dealer or a Doityourselfer? Thanks for any input.

(Message edited by nvip9r on January 31, 2009)
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-31-2009, 11:11 AM Reply   
Most people don't even use the wedge for boarding, it is nice for wakesurfing though. For boarding I wouldn't do it, just buy some bags and a pump.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-31-2009, 11:17 AM Reply   
i think the back of the malibu has to have the reinforcments to be able to mount the wedge... your best bet is just call malabu and ask them if they can do it, and what it intails... but im sure you will probably do it yourself, you will just know what you need.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-31-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
NU BU is right...forget wedge unless you surf alot...search for mdizzle and look at pics of his wake
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-31-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
Call your dealer, I have a 99 VLX and my dealer talked me out of adding it. From what I have seen on the original VLX hull, the Wedge is usually used for surfing mostly. Seems like the two newer VLX hulls respond better to the Wedge for boarding. I get a nice surf wave with mine with water ballast.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-31-2009, 12:15 PM Reply   
I had the 2002 VLX. I added the wedge - and I thought it made a big difference.
I would normally have about 2000 lbs of ballast.
The wedge with the ballast was much better than no ballast.
The wedge made the wake bigger and steeper.

If you have over 3000 lbs of ballast you may not need the wedge.

I thought it was definitely worth the money I spent on it and I spent a lot more than $300.
Old     (fabs128)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-31-2009, 1:18 PM Reply   
I previously owned a 2001 VLX and it did not have a wedge. I decided to add one and was very impressed. It adds a nice lip to the wake. I now own an 05' VLX and love the wedge. I agree with dave, if you have 3k or more pounds in the boat then the wedge might not be necessary. It will just make it harder to drive and plane out. I like the wedge cause you can have different wake shapes with or without it. $300 is a really good deal. Good luck.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-31-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
I meant - the wedge was better than no wedge.
Sorry about the typo.
Most of my friends thought the same.

To get the same wake with no wedge, we needed to add an extra 1000 lbs
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       01-31-2009, 2:28 PM Reply   
"most people don't use the wedge for wakeboarding"

What?! IMO the wedge makes the wake night and day, especially on my 05vride with stock ballast. It makes the wake have so much more pop, i never ride with the wedge up! The only exception is when we are riding with 10+ people ontop of stock ballast.

(Message edited by wakeboardertj on January 31, 2009)
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-31-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
"Most people don't even use the wedge for boarding"
"NU BU is right...forget wedge unless you surf alot."

I don't know what these guys are talking about. We use the wedge plus all stock including bow plus about 1500# of fat sacks and hard ballast plus 5-10 people. Maybe one less sack with more people. The wedge makes a huge difference in the size and shape of the wake. Unless you're talking about running stock plus about 4000# the wedge will be a big help. We have an '07 VLX.

Regarding your install, I would spring for a "free-floating" wedge. It is slightly easier to use than the old manual wedge, and it works really well. Your transom should be plenty strong enough to handle it. I don't think Malibu lays up the glass any thicker for wedge boats compared to non- wedge boats. Just make sure you mount it in the right spot.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-31-2009, 2:52 PM Reply   
I run up to 2500 in ballast and with 4-5 people the wedge just isn't needed. I have found my boat doesn't track well or turn as good with wedge down and prefer more weight vs. less weight and wedge. I have surfed my boat once or twice and the wedge made a difference, but we rarely surf.

Maybe the V25 hull works better with wedge...
Old     (switchbladewake)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-31-2009, 3:38 PM Reply   
Probably going to get blasted for this, but don't forget about the Switchblade. There is a kit for the Malibu. Just a thought, don't slam me too hard.
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-31-2009, 4:26 PM Reply   
Wow, thanks for all the responses. First we live on a small lake and I haven't been able to even try the boat yet. I saw the add and figured it might be worth the purchase. I am going to give him a call.
But does anyone have any input on installing it too? I probalby should just call Malibu or dealer and see what they say? Thanks
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-31-2009, 5:22 PM Reply   
"I run up to 2500 in ballast and with 4-5 people the wedge just isn't needed."

What do you mean by "just isn't needed"? Do you mean that the wedge doesn't improve the wake? If that is what you're saying, I know some very accomplished riders who will respectfully and not so respectfully disagree.
If you mean that the wake is fine for your purposes, and you prefer to run with weight rather than the wedge, then I say to each his own.
As far as the wedge tracking in a straight line, the wedge doesn't affect this, or it may actually improve straight line tracking. Around corners, the wedge does make things more interesting.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-31-2009, 6:24 PM Reply   
I added a wedge to my '98 VLX. It's a very simple install took about two hours. If you can get it cheap go for it for resale if nothing else. That said, we rarely use it. For the older VLX hull weight only is better, IMO. It handles like crap and makes the wake abrupt and slightly unpredictable. It gets better reviews on the 05-newer hull. It does make a good surf wake, though..........
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-31-2009, 6:30 PM Reply   
Fabs... Who installed that wedge on your old boat??
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-31-2009, 6:47 PM Reply   
Peter T...I guess I should have said with 2500lbs and a couple people I haven't had anyone that has wanted the wedge down. I know 2500lbs isn't a lot, but 2500 in my boat is different than 2500 in your boat, remember you have the V25 hull vs. my older V23 hull. Secondly with the wedge down even my daughter can pull my boat around.

I wouldn't get obsessed about adding the wedge it is a great option for someone that doesn't want fatsacs in their compartments. That being said, the V23 hull doesn't take much weight to produce a very good & nice sized wake.
Old     (raftisland)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-31-2009, 11:19 PM Reply   
I would recommend doing it. I have a 2007 vride so the same as your boat. when i just have the stock ballast full i use the wedge when i ride. i think it shapes the wake nicely.
Old     (fabs128)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-01-2009, 12:40 AM Reply   
Buguru- Some nice guy who hooked it up along with some other nice features! Wish he was around more.

I think the wedge is great for any boat but for us it is a nice wake whether we have stock ballast and wedge or if we have 3k and no wedge. Just produces a different wake to ride behind.
Old     (fabs128)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-01-2009, 12:42 AM Reply   
Is that G Sliver throwing down a post? Good to hear from ya man!
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-01-2009, 6:26 AM Reply   
Nick get the wedge. If anything it will add value to the boat when you sale it. Great for surfing too. Just make sure your boat transom can handle it.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-01-2009, 7:06 AM Reply   
If the $300 isn't a big deal, just get it. If you could, I'd try to find someone who has a wedge on the same hull as your boat and get a ride behind it before you go and spend the money. I've been behind Malibu's where I like what the wedge does and I've been behind some where I don't like the effect it has on the wake, each hull is different.
Old     (raftisland)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-01-2009, 1:50 PM Reply   
fabs it sure is. haha its rare for me to post.

get the wedge it adds a nice lip to the wake. you will be very happy with your wake if you get one.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-01-2009, 4:02 PM Reply   
ive ridden that hull both ways. Ive heard realllly good riders that ride it both ways. I personally have had better experiences without the wedge and i like a wake with a lip. For 300 bucks i say go for it and if you dont like it, it shouldnt be a problem selling it again for 300
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-01-2009, 5:27 PM Reply   
I was thinking the same thing. Do I need to reinforce the transom? Or is it all set to add it, due to an option? Thanks again for the input.
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-01-2009, 7:27 PM Reply   
ask malibu directly about that nick, i dont believe that is a question for someones opinion on the internet.... unless someone knows for sure...
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-01-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
some of the boats came with the mount already and no wedge i think, or maybe the wedge had just fallen off
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-01-2009, 10:19 PM Reply   
*looking for that picture of the shredded malibu* lol
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-01-2009, 11:17 PM Reply   
I know for sure it's a bolt-on project. I researched it before I put mine on. Measure, mark, drill & mount................
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-02-2009, 4:46 PM Reply   
Nick, Unless you have a Malibu you'll have to buy it from a private seller, the dealers are required to get a Malibu hull ID to sell them. Keep in mind you'll most likely void your hull warranty if it's not a Malibu.

Kevin,

Many boats starting in the '00 model year were ordered w/ the wedge plate only.

We use the wedge all the time on ours. The beauty is that if someone doesn't like it it's very easy to change and doesn't take but 3sec to change it. Extra bags are cumbersome time consuming to fill, can damage the interior over time and quick frankly a major PIA imho.

Make sure to get the Wedge 23 (the angled wedge) vs the standard (flat) wedge. I’d recommend free floating wedge for improved performance.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-02-2009, 6:00 PM Reply   
I agree^^^ I have ridden on many malibus in the past the 02-04 model vlx(now vride) and since the new 05-08 model vlx with new hull and auto wedge.

this is the deal the wedge works ,its works for most and does the job it was supposed too.The statement is also true that with enough added weight you dont need the wedge and save a little gas and maybe it handles turns a bit better.

howwever those i know saying this are putting 3k-4k of water in their malibus new and old and dont use the wedge .This can be an issue if you have mixed experienced riders on the boat a few nebs an fe wint and some advanced.The advanced rider may like 4k of water weight that take time to fill but the newbs and intermediates may be scared of the wake or it increases the potential for injury to them.

The answer for this is to put 2000 lbs of water weight and use the wedge ,i promise the wedge make the wake a tad bigger but its real job is the it hardens the wake a bit at the lip and raises the lip for a steeper wake.

so really it is personal preference but thew wedge works and the manual one worked well but i really like the way you can change the wake on the fly with the hydro one and really find your wake for your sets while other can tune it to their liking by shifting wedge in diiferent postions or not using it.

Its just gives you a few more options then just adding tons of water and then saying this is the way it is.

not an issue for crews who ride all the time and all like the phat 3-4k ballasted wakes..

anyway i own a supra so this is my unbiased opinion and ive riiden many Bu's of all years and different weighting so take it any way you like.The wakes are great either way..
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-03-2009, 5:02 AM Reply   
Well I missed out it sold. But heard from the Malibu dealer that I can't add it too my 2000 Wakesetter. Something about the way the motor is mounted and it will be in the way with the lower pulley hitting the bracket. So good thing I missed out. Too bad, it sounds like a great option for quickness of adding peak to the wake. It sounds like I am going to have to experiment with ballast and get the setup right. I will do some searching on peoples setups. Thanks again
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-03-2009, 7:06 AM Reply   
Not a malibu owner but have heard a lot of the hard core guys only use ballast of course upgraded. Seems like that would be a better thing to do in the long run have an auto system put in.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-03-2009, 7:53 AM Reply   
Nick,

I've never heard that a '00 model having an issue w/ the wedge plate being installed.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-03-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
Nick, your dealer is mistaken. There is no bracket inside the hull only a flat plate and the bolt heads. Why is it dealers don't know their own product?...............
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-03-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
I was thinking the same thing...but the dealer up near me said something aobut the lower pulley. Now I am just wondering if he is trying to sell me a new boat. Damn...I may have to ask Malibu directly...or call that Bakes Marine guy...he has been really helpful in the past.
thanks
Old     (nvip9r)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-03-2009, 10:15 AM Reply   
Oh yea. The reason I was thinking the wedge beside that deal is that we aren't that good of wakeboarders. So I figured instead of 2k of water. Just flip the wedge and center sack. I will keep researching just in case I find another deal. thanks
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-03-2009, 12:04 PM Reply   
Nick,

Talk to Peter at Smoothwatersports.