Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old    hawkbob            05-13-2004, 6:37 AM Reply   
So I pulled a rookie move when pulling my boat out from the garage. I added a new rubbermaid storage tower in the corner of the garage and one leg of the board rack hit this and bent the board rack (just one fork) about 45 degrees.

Any suggestions on how to bend it back? My neighbor though I might be able to heat it up w/ a torch and bend it back. If this was a good idea, could I just use one of those $20 torches at any hardware store, or would it take a special welding torch (as you can see I know nothing about torches).

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

bob

Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-13-2004, 12:48 PM Reply   
Not good. I am assuming it is aluminum that bent. Aluminum hates to be fatigued - it will quickly break.

Can't do any harm in trying to straigten it now. If it were me, I'd try to totally disassemble it so that you have just the one flat metal 'fork' part. Then I would put it between a couple of long 2x12s (near one end). Then I'd carefully drive a car up on the boards from the other end and 'press' it back flat. This way, you can't hyper-extend it the other way and potentially break it. If you had access to a industrial press, this would be even better. Just put it in a press, and flatten it hydrolically.

I don't think you'd get any benefit from heating this. Some other aluminum expert might chime in here but I think this is better for steel not really aluminum.

Good luck!
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-13-2004, 4:02 PM Reply   
I've hit dock pillings before and bent the old style racks. To straighten the bent fork I used a long pipe.
Old    jdr            05-14-2004, 1:36 AM Reply   
Look for a local manufacturing operation that does rubber/plastic molding and has hydraulic presses. They could help you. I had a similar experience. Fortunately, I run a molding operation so I didn't have to go looking for one.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-14-2004, 3:13 AM Reply   
I've bent the fork on a rack (twice, actually). I did the same thing Whit did, and it worked fine. I took it off the boat and put it in a vice to make it easier to work on.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-15-2004, 7:53 PM Reply   
It's likely a hardened aluminum so it will bend back a few times but eventually crack.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       05-16-2004, 12:09 PM Reply   
if u heat the aluminum it will weaken it. try to bend it back into place.