Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-20-2006, 10:49 AM Reply   
I have a 2003 Mastercraft X-30 with a mastercraft trailer. Last year I replaced two brake calipers on the left side of my trailer. This year the two on the right have frozen up so I am replacing them now. Here's a link to the replacements.
http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=67 28&categoryID=0
The wheels got very hot and I blew out the inner seal and the oil leaked out (yellow arrows). I need to know how to get the oil bath cap off so I can take the hub off to replace the seal. I stripped the inner set screw but I'm not sure that I have to remove that one anyway (blue arrow). Also anyone know what kind of oil to put back in?
Thanks in advance,
Brett
Upload
Upload
Old     (vfrdude)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-20-2006, 11:00 AM Reply   
Most times the cap is just a press fit, don't know about you're specific setup. One more thing, when ever dealing with brake components, if you have to replace something on one side, replace the same component on the other. Most likely, it will also fail soon... I know this doesn't help you now, but it might benefit someone else reading this post...
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-20-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
Liek Rudy said, my oil bath hubs are "press fit". I just whacked them a coupel of times wiht a rubber mallet and they fell off. I dont' remember what type of oil of the top of my head I used, but it was some thick gear oil I picked up at a local auto parts store. Any trailer store will know what to put in there. I'm sure it varies a little depending on what part of the country you live in. I know the roads here (houston) will easily reach 120+ in the summer, I used a pretty heavy oil. Also search the internet, I foudn a coupel good articles. Boatmate trailers has some good info on their site if i remember correctly.
Old     (leblanc1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-20-2006, 12:35 PM Reply   
Typically the caps are press fit like Rudy has. Use a hammer or mallet and start tapping at an outward 45 degree angle to try to knock it off or use a large set of channel-lock pliers. After replacing your seal, you will need to service it back up with 90W gear oil. It looks like you stripped the screw that you would service it through. A large easy-out bit should help you get that off. If not, you'll have to drill it out, re-tap it and make sure you get all the shavings out of the hub.
Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-20-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
Thanks for your replies,
the inner stripped nut is just a vent or fill. The cap was a mother to get off though and no longer pretty after significant banging with a large hammer - rubber mallet no bueno.

BTW - 200 miles of travel with little to no oil in the hub and the bearings and races look fine. Even with excessive heat build up from a seizing caliper.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-20-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
Brett, I had a seal go out on me, and I was able to drive approx 70 miles to the nearest town for repair with no oil in the hub and no damage whatsoever.
Old     (weazy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-20-2006, 6:05 PM Reply   
I had the fill screw loosen up on my extreme trailer and they told me to use a lock tite sealant on the threads and fill it with 50w motor oil to the top of the sight glass.
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-20-2006, 8:01 PM Reply   
YUP just like WEAZ said W50
Old     (ronskal)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-21-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
Yep, 50 Wt oil is the way to go. I used 60 Wt on my trailer since they were out of 50.

I have changed the oil on my trailer (MasterCraft) and having both plugs removable is a big plus. I would try to get that bad plug removed. Try and easy-out it like Steve L said.
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-21-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
Brett,

I tried posting an adobe file with the UFP Trailer Buddy Gold Seal exploded view but was not able to.

I e-mailed to you.