Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (rmdanie)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-20-2008, 10:24 PM Reply   
I tore my lowest left side abdominal muscle. Had an ultrasound this morning and the tech said it looks like my ab wall is still in tact (no hernia). Anyone else had this before? How long were you out? Will I be able to wakesurf during the waiting period?

I love to draw from the wakeworld expertise because the Doc will give the the standard 6 weeks answer.

Oh yeah, I actually strained it about 4 weeks ago and tore it 3 weeks ago. The pain is virtually gone but the muscle looks weird.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-21-2008, 5:12 AM Reply   
Tore my lower right ab muscle 3 years ago and was out 4 days later like a dumba$$. Didn't wakesurf but slowed the boat down to about 16 and just practiced riding switch with no jumps. Think I was out about 3 weeks. Guess it all depends on how bad it's torn. My wife doesn't give me too much credit for using common sense though. Good luck with the healing process.
Old     (eric_ms)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-21-2008, 6:22 AM Reply   
RYAN,

MAN I DID THE SAME THING BUT ON MY RIGHT SIDE ON SAT. I WENT TO THE HOSPITAL AND THEY DID A CT SCAN ON ME THINKING IT WAS A HERNIA OR AND APPENDICITIS. BUT IT WAS A TORN AB MUSCLE. I WAS TOLD TO TAKE IT EASY FOR 2 WEEKS BUT UMM I AM GOING TO RIDE THIS WEEKEND...HAHA
Old     (hyperliteguy_04)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-21-2008, 6:26 AM Reply   
Can i say Dedication?
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-21-2008, 6:40 AM Reply   
I think I may have torn a muscle on my right side. I was thinking I had a hernia as well but there is no bulge. I haven't been able to get the doctor yet to confirm. I'm trying to avoid the doc visit cause it seems like its getting better now. Has anyone ever had a hernia caused from wakeboarding?
Old     (gholloway)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-21-2008, 7:35 AM Reply   
My best advice is to go get one of those hot packs that stick to your back and last a few hours and stick it on the ab muscle that's hurt! It keeps it from tightening up and hurting 24-7!
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-21-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
I did that last year. I was off the water for awhile. Play it safe and return at a pace that you or the doctor feels is acceptable. Good luck and yes, it hurts like a mother f'er....
Old     (eyedvride)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-21-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
I tore 2 abs last year on the right side. Just try to stretch it like crazy even though it hurts. Stretching really helps it along. I tried to keep riding and got worked a few more times. Let it heal a little.
Old     (bobert)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-21-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
I did it to the right side last year too. I just took it easy for about two weeks like Randy and just kinda screwed around.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-21-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
I mean honestly, does everyone go to the doctor everytime they feel the slightest bit of pain? I guess I am probably going to get flamed for this but you people need to suck it up and deal with it!!!
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-21-2008, 9:53 AM Reply   
jonny, i guess you've never torn an ab muscle huh? no quite, slight pain
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-21-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
Definitely not a slight pain at all. I had to get pulled into the boat that's how bad it initially hurt. I also work at a hospital and have friends that are doctors. Most of the time I get free advice and have also had 3 free MRI's done.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-21-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
i have...i have dealt with it and it doesnt have to pertain to just an ab muscle it is just a general opinion and i am not singling just you guys out at all.

maybe i dont ride hard enough or long enough
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-21-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
I went to the ER because of the pain and to make sure that I didn't have a hernia. Internal bleeding is not good and pulling your AB's will cause bleeding. Since a lot of us have children, I need to take care of myself so I can talk care of my children. That is the reason I went.

Depending upon how bad you pulled your AB's, you will be black and blue in the lower AB's.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-21-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
I did this years ago before I did any ab conditioning and remember taking 2 or 3 weeks off. This can be a recurring injury if you go back too soon, but you should have a good sense when it is healed. Like others said, take it easy when you start back - grabs and pokes use more abs than you would think.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-21-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
Ryan, I did it learning R-T-Rs when I 1st started riding. Its like Plantar Fasciatis(sp?)...You gotta rest and let it heal. If you keep riding it will never get better. Mine lasted all summer because I kept riding.
Old     (pvsawyer)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-21-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
It may be a little different, but I tore my hip flexor (pretty bad- couldn't walk) and I was out for 3 weeks. After the 3rd week it was good to go- just a little tight but I made sure to stretch it before I rode.
Old    sealyon.net            05-22-2008, 5:50 AM Reply   
Did a face plant last year and couldn't sit up for 2 weeks, even doing a push up hurt like...
I just had to take it easy for a while.(meaning doing nothing)
Old     (bobert)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-22-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
Does anyone workout regularly and try to stay in shape to prevent stuff like this?
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-22-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
^^^^^ I do. Having torn an ab when all I did was ride motivated me to work on my core. Also I'm not a young buck so working out is the only way I can stay in the game.
Old     (tonis)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-23-2008, 7:35 AM Reply   
I hit the gym pretty hard this year and concentrated on crunches. I learned after a couple sets on the water that I needed to work on the lower abs as well. Strained my lower abdominal region. Took about a week off-
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-23-2008, 10:30 AM Reply   
Jonny used to walk to school barefoot, uphill both ways in three feet of snow too!

C'mon guys...suck it up!!!!!
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-23-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
Hey Ryan I did the same thing maybe not as bad. I went the local sports store and found a neoprene weight belt thing with velcro on it. I put it on over my wetsuit down low and it really seems to help. If I put it on under my wetsuit my short push it up to high. Might give it a shot. It was about $20.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome
Old     (big_gulp)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-23-2008, 6:35 PM Reply   
I just tore my right Ab 2 days ago. Worst pain that I have ever experienced and it lasted about 2 hours. 2nd time in 4 weeks. I ruptured my lower bicep 2 years ago and had it reattached and that was nothing compared to this. I feel ok now but I'm dieing to back out on the water. Anymore advice would be great. I want to try and compete in 2 weeks. I would think some kind of physical therapy would defiantly help.