Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (machete_mo)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-24-2008, 5:07 PM Reply   
Hey just wondering if anybody would ever pay for a DD on the lake. Somebody to drive the boat all day and never take a drink? Is that a better deal than what could happen with a few? Just curious, and really wanna know what you all think. Thx MO
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-24-2008, 5:07 PM Reply   
i've been paid to...but i wouldn't pay
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-24-2008, 5:24 PM Reply   
If you are thinking of a business... I see an insurance nightmare.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-24-2008, 5:24 PM Reply   
im sure if your willing to fork out enough $$$ you will find someone willing to do it. not sure what that # would be but it is an interesting question. have to be cheaper than a DUI for sure.me an my buds just take turns so every 6th trip im DD. i do try to get in a run early before the beer gets flowing.
Old     (machete_mo)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-24-2008, 5:50 PM Reply   
I was deff thinking business, insurance is a huge concern. If more people did this maybe less drunks and better safety for all of us who like to ride. I dont think anybody could charge as much as a DUI could cost you!
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-24-2008, 5:58 PM Reply   
Any boat should have a DD no matter what. You shouldn't have to pay someone to stay sober. I hate those boats full of people where every person is hammered and they shouldn't be behind the wheel. If you own the boat, its your responsibility to not get drunk. And if you do get drunk, one of your friends on the boat should be sober to take control of the boat for that day. Just my 2 cents, I'm as guilty as the next guy for being drunk on the boat, but my crew always has someone that will stay sober while on the water. We switch off. A sober day on the water is still better than any other day not on the water.
Old     (big_matt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-24-2008, 7:10 PM Reply   
If the guys were doing a bit of a party weekend or something it might be nice to have a driver. Say 8 guys on the boat, each pitches in 5/hr...do a three hour minimum? You may need a commercial license for the insurance, captains/pilots? Usually you do to charge for driving a vehicle with occupants.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-24-2008, 7:55 PM Reply   
Back in the 1980s I was renting an outboard 150 HP Merc Boston Whaler at the Pax Naval Air Station in MD for $4.00 an hour. For that fee they provided a driver, gas, and skis. We could provide our own driver if we took a coast guard test and that driver didn't drink. We never took the class and so always had the driver. Naturally we gave the driver a beer, just one.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-24-2008, 8:04 PM Reply   
I don't drink, at least beyond one or two over the course of like, 3 hours, which with my size, that's nothing. Well below the legal limit. But most of the time, I don't touch anything besides Coca-Cola, so I play DD for people a lot. I don't ask to get paid, I just play DD. I'd rather do that and just chill while not drinking than get trashed and leave the group without someone sober. It happens a lot where someone doesn't stay sober, and that's how bad things happen. I try to keep something bad from happening at all costs, so I play DD for free when I'm out with friends. Plus I don't like getting drunk (I don't like the loss of control of myself), so it works out for everyone.