Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old    sandvign            01-02-2010, 3:30 PM Reply   
With the new cable park opening up in spring 2011 out here in the San Diego area, I've been doing some research on some of the new boards that seem to be made for cables and rails. I'm interested in the new FLX from LF and was wondering what people's opinions have been so far on the LF Grind Base. I remember back when Hyperlite came out with their version of this and it seemed to be some sort of rubberized coating or something. It made the board super heavy I thought, but that was when I needed a board strictly for wake riding. The weight of a board isn't a concern of mine when looking for something for the cable.

I guess my real question is that on the video for the FLX on the LF site Jimmy says that the Grind Base is repairable like the base of snowboard. How have people done this themselves? What have you used? Is it just like applying a new coat of wax on the snowboard, just melt it on scrape off the excess? Or is there more to it? I think this is a great idea for making boards more durable for the more demands we have now. Also, what are your opinions on their Liquid Rails. How durable are they? I dont think I'd be shaping them like he says you can, but has anyone tried it. It would be pretty cool to be able to shape out a real sharp edge or work different shapes into your board. Are the rails repairable?
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-02-2010, 4:49 PM Reply   
As far as the rails go, im not too knowledgable on that. But as far as the bases, im pretty sure I can enlighten you with some info.

The new bases on the boards are UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight). UHMW is the same material that 95% of the snowboard companies use for their board bottoms. So its very high abrasion resistant. Crown Plastics supplies nearly all snowboard companies with this material along with a few wake companies now that we've seen more rail riding in the wake scene. Crown Plastics has a great explanation of what UHMW is on their website. But just like repairing a snowboard, you would buy P-Tex strips (another material used as an alternative to ABS on snowboard sidewalls because P-Tex doesnt crack in extremely cold temperatures like ABS, and it bonds to UHMW) and melt the P-Tex into the scratch and while its hot, scrape the excess of with something metal and flat of coarse.

Hope I answered your question Nick
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-02-2010, 4:55 PM Reply   
I've ridden plenty of the LF boards with the grind base and my PS3 has the base on it. For rails I won't even think of riding a rail with out it, or some other brands version. First it doesn't break as easy. I'm not going to say its indestructible but it holds up really really well. I've ridden 1 and a half seasons on it and will probably get one more out of it. It slides fast and smoother. I can ride out the longer rails easier with it. Overall I really like it. My next board for the cable, after the PS3 is destroyed, I will only buy a board with it or a comparable product like Slingshot's material.
Old     (tenniswiz37)      Join Date: Aug 2009       01-02-2010, 5:06 PM Reply   
Slingshot boards are the way to go for rails...with or without fins slingshot boards hold up really well. I switched from a normal board to a slingshot and i ONLY ride cable....and i have had my 2010 response since like early july and i ride every weekend and its holding up really well.
Old    benj_t            01-02-2010, 5:10 PM Reply   
I have been sliding my Limited 139 Lyman (with LF Grind Base) for about half a year and i can barely tell that Ive used it on rails. Not only does it hold up great, it slides really well too. It will slide really fast whether the rail is wet or dry
Old    sandvign            01-02-2010, 5:54 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the great info and reviews. You pretty much got me set on buying a board with the grind base. I've always been an LF guy so probably gonna stick with them. Thanks again!