Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (klw)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-19-2009, 10:09 AM Reply   
I have had a Mastercraft X9 (21' direct drive) for several years and am looking at an 03-05 X30. Currently I ride at 21-ish and can't drop the rope any farther back than 55' before the wake is too wide. I've been close to landing a backroll for a couple of years but not there yet. I'm sticking it here and there but not with the handle still in hand. Anyway, I'd like to drop that line back 10+ feet and get some more room for my family in the boat - so a V-drive is in my future. Price points put me at the 03-05 X30 (30K-ish)... but never ridden behind one - any input on what to expect? I hear it isn't a steep wake, but it's a great overall wake.
I'm willing to consider other brands of course. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old     (talon)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-19-2009, 10:26 AM Reply   
kevin,what speed are you riding at 55ft ive never ridin at that length i started with 65ft and my speed was 19.8 and that was when i first sarted and now im at 75 ft and 21 21.5 and i dislike mastercrafts wake stock you have to add atleast 1500pounds of ballast and i suggest looking at malibu vlx wakesetter great wake for inverts and going way out into the flats and nice transitions
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-19-2009, 10:30 AM Reply   
If you are landing without the handle its most likely that you need to pull the handle into your hip more as you come off of the wake, this should help you spin a little faster making it easier to spot your landing too. Literally think about pulling the handle right into your hip as you come off the wake.

I've never ridden an X-30 of that generation but I've ridden the X-10 which is the same beam but 2' shorter. The wake is nice, a lot nicer than I thought it would be as I've heard some nay sayers on it. The wake is not as steep as an X-1 but it has a nice transition. I didnt think the stock ballast was enough so we ran an extra fat sac in front of the rear seat. In the X-1 we run we removed the rear hard tanks and plumbed in sacs, I would def do that for an X-30 and then run an additional fat sac in the walkway. (this is pretty similar to what we run in the X-1)

The X-10 and 30 have an awesome surf wake.

Overall the wake should be a somewhat similar width to your X-9 as they both have a 96" beam, the added weight of the motor in the back and bigger stock ballast system should help with wake size over your X-9.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-19-2009, 11:31 AM Reply   
Kevin, I had an '03 Maristar 230 (same as X-30)
As Corey stated it likes extra weight to create a nice wake. I had no stock ballast so I used 2 400# sacs in the rear lockers and a 750# sac in the walkway.....the wake was great!
Your wake will be more narrow if you pick up your speed to 22 or 22.5mph. Try that with a 65-70 ft line to get more time in the air for your roll.

The X-30 will make a great family wakeboard boat for you. The '03 used a unique wakeboard rack that you may want to stay away from. Try to find an '04-'05 instead. I think in '05 they started using JL speakers instead of Clarion which are better too. There was a rudder change sometime after '03 to a larger size rudder so upgrade to a newer rudder if you get a boat with the old style.
www.tmcowners.com has always been a great source of info for mastercrafts....check it out!

(Message edited by njskier on December 19, 2009)
Old     (hype29)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-20-2009, 7:57 AM Reply   
I personaly love the X-30 the wake is real nice and tons of room inside. I've got an 05 and it is for sale if your interested. Only has around 175 hrs on it. It is a great boat I just don't have too much time anymore to use it. Hit me up and I can send you more pice if your interestedUpload
Old     (klw)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-20-2009, 1:08 PM Reply   
Hey all -great feedback. Funny that Talon recommended a VLX - that was the first boat I was looking at, but the price points on them are much higher this year than they were last year! It's crazy what they are going for, but it makes sense since they are such a solid performer.

Corey and Dave - thanks for the specifics. I think the X30 stock balast in 03-05 gets close to the weight distribution Dave mentioned.

Dubbe - thanks for the pic. I emailed you for more info already.

Any more feedback would be great.