Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (lakeguy77)      Join Date: May 2002       06-06-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
I've got an 01 Drifter 136, always loved it, even stopped looking at boards and following along because I liked it so much. But I've been looking for the longer Project 142 for softer landings and the fact that I'm a fair bit heavier than I was 4 years ago when I picked up the Drifter. Not having a lot of luck finding one, and have been outbid at the buzzer on a couple eBay auctions for them. Because I'm so happy with the way the Drifter rides, I really have no desire to look at the brand new boards on the market.

So, the TFD 142 that succeeded the Drifter/Project shape...I can read all I want about the physical differences between the older/newer shape, but I'd like some insight from someone who's ridden both shapes. Because the TFD is also discontinued, it's not quite as simple as taking one out for a demo ride. Anybody care to shed some light?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-06-2006, 1:27 PM Reply   
3ds is the new TFD. 3ds you can take out for a ride
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-06-2006, 6:49 PM Reply   
Tommy - I have friend who used to ride the drifter, and loved it. Then he went to a premier, and liked it, then went to a TFD and fell in love again. The newer the board you buy, the quicker release it will have, and the softer the landings will be. The TFD will be an excellent stepping stone for you if you can find one, and the 3ds will be your next best bet.
Old     (lakeguy77)      Join Date: May 2002       06-07-2006, 7:15 AM Reply   
Thanks Thane Dogg...there's a TFD in the for sale section right now, my only question about it is how easily it releases for surface stuff given the step-down rails, since I overdo the butterslides way way waaaaay too much. :-) The Drifter/Project has a very smooth bottom and spins so easy until you drop a fin in the water on edge, and then it hooks hard, it's just a great board. Looking for the same ride but bigger board. I did read that the TFD was designed for the same qualities as the Drifter/Project but with a little more pop and softer landings, and that might just be the ticket, which is why I asked.

Thanks again for the advice!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-07-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
Tommy - what fins are you using on your project? The fins on the TFD are smaller than the ones that came with the project, and they also have like a 7 degree cant to 'em so it does release pretty easy. I rode my friends 142, and although the bindings were too big I really got a feel for how it released.
Old     (lakeguy77)      Join Date: May 2002       06-07-2006, 1:35 PM Reply   
Cool, I've got the Gonzalez 1.5 fins on my Drifter, when you release the board they don't touch the water at all, but throw it back on edge and they bite real nice. I found a Project for sale so now I've got some decisions to make. Tempted to go TFD just for a slightly different ride, but I really am so happy with the Drifter/Project ride that I end up back on the fence. And the Project's graphics just blow the TFD's out of the water.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-07-2006, 2:34 PM Reply   
If you get the TFD you NEED to switch all the fins to something 0.8" or smaller!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-07-2006, 6:13 PM Reply   
Tommy it would be to your benefit to go with the TFD.
Old     (lakeguy77)      Join Date: May 2002       06-07-2006, 6:35 PM Reply   
I'm leaning more and more in that direction, thanks for all the advice, I'll let you guys know what I end up with.

Thanks again!