Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-14-2008, 6:35 AM Reply   
Does anyone know the current lake conditions for boating in Iowa other than the Des Moines area?

We usually boat on Saylorville which is totally flooded right now, it is at record levels.

I was thinking about Okoboji or Rathbun, does anyone know the condition of them right now? Or anywhere else?

I just installed a wakeboard tower and the kids want to use it!!

Thanks!!
Old     (wakegirl22)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-14-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
Clear Lake is up high right now, but boating conditions are awesome. No one has come up for the weekends yet, so the lake is pretty dead at this point.
Old     (pete_moss)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-14-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
Boji is still good. Kind of a long drive though...if you're in the Des Moines area.
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-14-2008, 6:02 PM Reply   
I am unfamiliar with both of those lakes. Any tips on good boat ramps and wake boarding areas?

What is the water temp at Clear Lake?

Thanks again!!
Old     (wakegirl22)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-14-2008, 8:17 PM Reply   
Clear Lake is tolerable. That's all I can say. But, South Shores old Ritz boating ramp is the one we use, the one downtown gets congested and if the wind is blowing right, it's hard to get your boat on your trailer. Farmers beach and sometimes north shore, in front of state park and the cove next to the boating ramp.
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-14-2008, 10:38 PM Reply   
Tolerable as in water temp? Are you wearing a wet suit?

Will I need a boat ramp permit or will my US Army Corp of Engineers from Saylorville work? It is supposed to work in all Iowa US Corp of Eng lakes but I don't know if Clear Lake is one.

Thanks
Old     (wakegirl22)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-14-2008, 10:57 PM Reply   
Yes, the water temp is tolerable and no wetsuit. You do not need any type of permit to use Clear Lake.
Old     (schrunk)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-15-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
Saylorville is best viewed on CNN rather then in person right now because of the flood. Honestly Okoboji is your best bet. While East and West lake are at record levels they are still doable, stay on East lake to keep warm. West Lake still has a few weeks before it will be bathwater.

Its actually nice on East Lake. Minimum wake chop as a result of the flooding and high gas prices.

Here is the best kept secret for Iowa wakeboarding... Center Lake. Totally protected and always empty. Its a bit green but where we always would ride. Right off of HWY 71 in spirit lake, across from the hospital.

Best luck!

Nick
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-15-2008, 3:29 PM Reply   
Rathbun is great. it shouldn't be too far of a drive, there isn't hardly any debris and the water is close to mid 70's
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-16-2008, 11:24 AM Reply   
I'm on Center Lake in Spirit Lake. Always looking for people to ride with. If anyone wants to ride drop me a line.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-16-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
My buddy said Panorama is pretty jacked up and had a 'no wake' on the entire lake for a little bit.
Old     (dbberglund)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-16-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
Storm Lake is fine, not to mention 1 1/2 hours closer than Okoboji and almost no boat traffic. Since it has such a small watershed feeding it, the level is only about six inches higher than normal.
Old     (locerson)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-16-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
We were in spirit lake (north of boji) last weekend(8 days ago) and the water temp was very tolerable. Cold when you got in but was easy to get used to. It is shallower than east and west but they should be fine as well. It is a 4 hr trip from des moines but we make it about every other weekend. Damn gas prices suck.
Old     (hyperlink)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-17-2008, 6:26 AM Reply   
Should be out on Ponderosa or Holiday this week, the no wake flags should be coming down soon!!!