Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (christopher)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-05-2008, 6:52 PM Reply   
I've been watching Jeff W build his board and it has given my the board building bug. I'm waiting on my foam and resin to show up so I started on my fins.

Here they are:

Upload

Upload

I started them on tuesday after work. I finished up the rough shaping tonight. I used some black walnut for the darker wood and red oak for the lighter wood. I'm pretty excited to start my 1st foam surfboard.
Old    surfdad            06-05-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
So cool that I am an inspiration!

Those are gorgeous! Did you take any build photos? I HATE HATE HATE working with wood, but the end result is so stunning. I'd really be interested in the torture...err, I mean how you built those babies up.
Old     (christopher)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-05-2008, 10:38 PM Reply   
I'm the same way about foam! I'm a little worried how my board will turn out.

I've got an advantage because I'm doing finish work on a house right now.

With the right tools this can be done easily. The whole process is fairly simple and straight forward. You need at least 2 types of wood (light and dark) I cut a 9" section out of my black walnut. Square up all of the ends. Then I started cutting, with the grain, 1/4" strips. I cut out 5 of them and cut them in half.

I cut a 5" section of oak. I set my miter saw to 4* and cut off making sure to cut the triangles uniform. I was winging it a little here so there might be a better way of doing this.Upload

Once I had my pieces cut I used wood glue and slathered them all up in this fashion.

Upload

It took a couple of days to where I felt I could do any sanding on it. I free hand cut a circle out of my dark wood and cut in half (mistake) I should have made 2 circles.

Anyway I didn't want to wait for the circle to harden for 2 days so I used some 5 minute epoxy to attach the half circle.

Luckily I was able to get 2 fins out of the 2 slabs that I had made.
Upload

Once I had them outlined it was just cutting them out on the band saw and a lot of sanding on our disc sander.
Old    lakeside5_10            06-06-2008, 4:25 AM Reply   
killer looking fins , i also am going to make fins for my board but will be made from plastic or glass
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-06-2008, 5:07 AM Reply   
Those are absolutely sick!!! I wish I could make something like that, doubt it would be that nice, but I may just try anyways. Awesome work!
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-06-2008, 7:35 AM Reply   
Very cool Christopher! Are you going to glass them on?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-06-2008, 7:35 AM Reply   
Those look awesome!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-06-2008, 6:25 PM Reply   
Sweeeet
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-08-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
christopher,you are an artist! well done..i would totally pay top dollar for some G5 replicas outa wood..let me know.peace
Old     (christopher)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-11-2008, 9:33 PM Reply   
Waterdog,

I've been a little busy with work and my foam and board building materials came on the big brown truck today, so I'm going to be consumed with shaping for a couple days.

Let me do a little tinkering and see what I can come up with. Is this the style of fin your thinking of?Upload
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-14-2008, 8:16 AM Reply   
yes,those in wood,would be sweet..if you could get the trailing edge thinner than the plastic ones,i bet they will still have a cool flex..also the new fcs h2 is sick too.