Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-17-2011, 11:29 AM Reply   
Do you think we will be able to tow with it?

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/17/d...to-the-future/
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-17-2011, 12:15 PM Reply   
Dude, if I'm dropping that kind of coin, im going to pay a little more and get a real sports car that can get me to Vegas in one tank, not half way there on one charge. They'll be belly up, give it time
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-17-2011, 1:29 PM Reply   
That delorean blows! For that much money... Where's my flux capacitor?! Where's Mr. (Cold) Fusion?!?!?
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-17-2011, 1:53 PM Reply   
lightning and clock tower sold separately...
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-17-2011, 2:34 PM Reply   
Great Scott!
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-17-2011, 2:46 PM Reply   
Id rather invest the money to design a hover board
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-17-2011, 4:40 PM Reply   
The first DMC-12 had the wrong powerplant (POS Renault V6 making a whopping 130HP)...now this one also has the wrong powerplant.

Will likely perform a little better, but the significant extra heft will offset much of the power increase.

Real solution to a desireable DMC-12: swap an LSx into it (LS7 would be an excellent choice), upgrade the brakes to current standards, do some suspension upgrades (and updated wheel/tire combo), and have one hell of a performing car. DMC-12 was only 2700lbs - with the lighter LSx it would likely clock in under that by a bit.

Great car that just missed the mark. But so does this electric version!
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       10-17-2011, 4:53 PM Reply   
Hey I wish them the best of luck. At least they are going for it. You got to put your neck out to make money these day. If you can't afford one then don't buy one.

Tesla makes a sweet looking car too and their four door is coming out soon.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/gallery
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       10-17-2011, 4:58 PM Reply   
I read somewhere that Tesla does over 300 miles in one charge. I don't know if that is true. I couldn't find that fact on the website, but I really did look to hard.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-17-2011, 5:46 PM Reply   
http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/for...-charge-change

Good for them if they can pull it off, but 100K? 100k is a lot to pay for an item that does not go very far. I admit you have to start somewhere, but it's not yet practical. charge time + distance allowed does not compare to the time to fill a tank and go twice as far. One day it will, but a lot to pay for non perfected technology
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-17-2011, 6:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdr94 View Post
http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/for...-charge-change

Good for them if they can pull it off, but 100K? 100k is a lot to pay for an item that does not go very far. I admit you have to start somewhere, but it's not yet practical. charge time + distance allowed does not compare to the time to fill a tank and go twice as far. One day it will, but a lot to pay for non perfected technology
And if you have ever driven a Lotus Elise (which is what the Tesla is...an electric converted Elise), it's not a car you want to drive a long distance. I've driven one for about an hour straight and that's all I really needed to be in that car.

But then again, why buy a 100k Tesla when you can buy a better performing and more reliable Elise for 50k, that also happens to get pretty decent fuel mileage?

IMO, plug-in Hybrids are the future for now until batteries get better. GM "should" have done the Chevy Volt with a small diesel generator.
Old     (HighVoltage)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-19-2011, 9:06 AM Reply   
Keep in mind high end EVs are all second vehicles, so you can still go take your lifted F350 tow pigs on those long road trips all you want. If you can afford a 100k car, chances are you can also afford a honda civic too.

If it wasn't a second car and you wanted to go drive to vegas non-stop, then carpool with the friend your going there with, take an airplane, or rent a car and dont put the wear/tear on your vehicle.

Also, the re-fueling schedule isn't the same as a gas engine. You don't drive to empty then search for a gas station, you just plug it in when you get home for the day (or at work) like a cell phone and start off every time you leave with a full or almost full tank. If you get the chance, talk to someone who drives and EV and ask them how many times they have run out of fuel or become inconvenienced. You may be very surprised that the reality of ownership is much different than how the news media loves to portray them.

I've never seen so much negative media towards clean new technologies that get us off oil as I have against electric vehicles. Then again, guess who writes the news crews paychecks...
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-19-2011, 9:59 AM Reply   
News Flash: There's a fuel that we can obtain in which we know how to process and burn super clean. We also have the infrastructure to deliver it everywhere. This fuel can also be used to make plastics and lubricants and all sorts of cool stuff. It's called oil. Amazing stuff.

EV vehicles are a major FAIL. The amount of polution caused by the manufacturing of the batteries alone would make your head spin. And just think how much oil was used to make the plastics and lubricants in that EV vehicle.

Anyone who thinks we can get rid of oil is not thinking it thru. Are you gonna invent electric airplanes or trucks or trains. Not a chance. Stick with the abundant, natural and RENEWABLE stuff we call oil and the cost of everything you buy will be cheaper because it costs less to get it to you.

America will eventually figure out these truths. We just like to learn the hard way. Stop listening to the media and start thinking for yourselves.
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-19-2011, 7:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneman View Post
News Flash: There's a fuel that we can obtain in which we know how to process and burn super clean. We also have the infrastructure to deliver it everywhere. This fuel can also be used to make plastics and lubricants and all sorts of cool stuff. It's called oil. Amazing stuff.

EV vehicles are a major FAIL. The amount of polution caused by the manufacturing of the batteries alone would make your head spin. And just think how much oil was used to make the plastics and lubricants in that EV vehicle.

Anyone who thinks we can get rid of oil is not thinking it thru. Are you gonna invent electric airplanes or trucks or trains. Not a chance. Stick with the abundant, natural and RENEWABLE stuff we call oil and the cost of everything you buy will be cheaper because it costs less to get it to you.

America will eventually figure out these truths. We just like to learn the hard way. Stop listening to the media and start thinking for yourselves.
I agree with you about the amount of pollution manufacturing the batterys creates, however I am sure this process could be made "greener" or cleaner.

I agree with you that Oil is natural, however your really pushing it by calling it a renewable resource, especially in all capitol letters, like this adds validity to your claim. Oil takes millions of years to form and current usage rates far exceed the rate of reproduction.

Some people smarter than me think so to, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-renewable_resource
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-20-2011, 11:17 AM Reply   
when and if ever RENEWABLE NATURAL fuels can be made more available and efficient then we will really be moving.

imagine not an EV charging off electricity produced by a nearby coal generated station but rather charging off Solar, Wind, Hydro, Etc.

One thing i like to imagine (maybe impossible but kool thought) is a car that has little wind turbines on it that charge the car as it moves day or night. BUT its just not that efficient... yet... if ever
Old    SamIngram            10-20-2011, 4:24 PM Reply   
Did you guys know that entire villages in Europe during WWII were ran off Renewable Natural fuels, including all the cars? Wood is pretty renewable...

Google Wood Gasifier or Wood Gas...

I am in the process of building a cabin in northern Arizona that will be 100% off the grid. I will use a Victory Wood Gasifier to power my generator when my batteries are low at night.