Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-03-2005, 8:18 PM Reply   
Pics from week of 9-20

Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-03-2005, 8:26 PM Reply   
Man those are awesome pics. Looks like a lot of good times, I love jumping off the cliffs at our reservoir too. So much fun.
~Tyler~
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-03-2005, 8:53 PM Reply   
Great pics Eric---Looks like agreat time was had.
We will have to exchange pics some time soon when we ride again at either Elsi or Vail....
We stayed at Last change bay when we went..
We fell in love with Powell.. Def. going to go next year again..
See you soon.
BTW.. is that you throwng a tantrum??
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-03-2005, 8:57 PM Reply   
I wish!!!!!!

That is the brother of one of my friends. That was his first day out in 2 years. He was throwing some of the biggest tantrums I have seen.

We need to hook up soon for a run out at Vail.

I have been extremly busy with work and 2 1/2 weeks in Powell ( i know!!!! Cry me a river). Im just trying to get caught up with work and the kids sports on the weekends.
When are you guys going out now-a-days?
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-03-2005, 9:03 PM Reply   
Still at san v for now till the winter schedule kicks in then we will be at Elsi for the winter.
We got the boat set up for the use of the channel, so that way we can def. get good water there. Mondays at elsi are in the schedule too. Just waiting for the boat to get out of svc. Going on the second week now. O well..
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-03-2005, 9:22 PM Reply   
beautiful. I hope I get to make it there some day. Looks like you were blessed with no wind
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-03-2005, 9:43 PM Reply   
that place does look awsome!
Old     (oldmansteck)      Join Date: May 2002       10-03-2005, 10:16 PM Reply   
The new rental boats look amazing...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-03-2005, 10:41 PM Reply   
Wow that a big cliff jump! From the photos it looks like 40-50 feet. Cool Pics thanks for posting

(Message edited by grant_west on October 03, 2005)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-03-2005, 10:48 PM Reply   
nice pics, erik! are those pics taken at warm creek bay or last chance bay?

powell's my favorite place ever!

you guys go there every year, right? we're planning a houseboat trip next year. maybe we can plan for the same time.
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       10-03-2005, 11:44 PM Reply   
Hey Kev.. when you start hitting Eslie you have to give me a call so we can ride together again bro. Its been a while..

Also, i lost you number man, send me an email or drop me a line.

Josh
Old    walt            10-04-2005, 4:41 AM Reply   
Great pics and nice looking wake too !
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-04-2005, 5:37 AM Reply   
Awesome Pics Eric !
Joe where do I sign up ?
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-04-2005, 7:29 AM Reply   
I have to get out there sometime. Looks awesome. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-04-2005, 7:40 AM Reply   
Great Pic's, I love Powell... We just got back from there on 9-19-05. We left from Bullfrog and made our way to Dangling rope and then back. A truly unforgetable trip. I am hoping to post a pic viedo of our time there to share.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-04-2005, 7:58 AM Reply   
sweet pics, i gotta make it out there
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-04-2005, 1:15 PM Reply   
Somebody has got to lay down the total scoop on Powell.

Those pics have got me totally stoked on making the trek from Cali but, would like to find out the "real" low down on Powell, aside from the stuff you can get online

Information low down:
1. Is it strictly houseboat? or just the best way to enjoy.
2. Can you boat camp?
3. Is there campgrounds nearby or on the water?
4. Where is the best area to go to? least amount of crowds etc.
5. What about off season?
6. What about amenities ie marinas for fuel etc.
7. Does it make sense to bring your own fuel.
8. Can you pull out and fuel up "in town"
10. What is the fastest way there from Sacramento/Norcal? Travel time?

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com

Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-04-2005, 2:06 PM Reply   
Here are my answers, so others may feel differently. I have been there about 10 times.

1. Is it strictly houseboat? or just the best way to enjoy. The best way for sure. Its about a 10 mile trek from Wahweap to the first "good" bay.
2. Can you boat camp? Not sure.
3. Is there campgrounds nearby or on the water? I believe there are campgrounds in the Wahweap marina area.
4. Where is the best area to go to? least amount of crowds etc. It is crowded during the peak summer months but you can usually find a cove to yourself. The further up the lake you go (San Juan Arm) the less people.
5. What about off season? Off season is good but it gets cold. I was there in April and it was about high 60's. The water is still pretty cold at that time.
6. What about amenities ie marinas for fuel etc. There is Wahweap marina and then there is Dangling Rope Marina further up the lake (when it is open due to lake water levels.) They have gas, boat service, and a convenience store which amazingly isn't too overpriced.
7. Does it make sense to bring your own fuel. It you have a houseboat bring extra fuel. The trek back to Wahweap is something you don't want to do unless necessary.
8. Can you pull out and fuel up "in town". Yes, there is also a gas station at the top of the ramp at Wahweap marina.
10. What is the fastest way there from Sacramento/Norcal? Travel time? Mapquest.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-04-2005, 2:52 PM Reply   
In response to 2 & 3, there's so much coastline you're almost guaranteed a beach to yourself for camping. We were there last weekend and had plenty of space for camping right next to the water. Wouldn't want to camp for more than 2-3 nights though.

E Double U, did you see the posters warning against cliff diving on the pay booths as you entered the park? There were actual pics of a guy doing a 70ft jump in which he died - he hit the water at 43mph and his body was found on the bottom (about 250 ft down). Take care y'all!

Pete
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-04-2005, 3:13 PM Reply   
chris, it took my friends and i about 12 hours to get to powell from stockton. we drove out of stockton, down thru death valley, thru (near) vegas.

we didn't houseboat it...big mistake! we still had an awesome time, but we did a lot of driving! we ended up doing all our gassing up in page, the closest town. it's only a few minutes from wahweap.

i'm guessin' the best time to go would be when the kids are back in school...late sept thru oct. we went late in sept and it was still hotter than hell.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-04-2005, 4:13 PM Reply   
Chris,

I have been to Powell 15 times. I go 3 weeks every summer.
All below is just my Opinion. Others may have differences with them so take it as an option.

1 and 2. Houseboat is the best way to enjoy, but you can camp (tent) anywhere you can find a beach. Warm Creek Bay is probably the best place to do this because it has a floating bathroom at the far end of the bay. It is also just a 8 minute boat ride to Antelope Point Marina
( ice, Drinks, Gas, Snacks). Also PAGE is only a 10 minute car drive from Antelope point. Problem with camping is when the winds come up they can reach 40mph quickly and say bye bye to your tent. There is not much cover from the winds there.

3.No official campgrounds on the lake. You can just camp anywhere. see #1

4. The best areas to go where less people will be , is as far away from a marina as possible. Downside is you have to drive back and forth for Gas , Ice and groceries. I suggest if you go to try out Wark Creek Bay. The water is Butter and you can have like 6-7 boats going at once and you will still have Butter. Another great place is Last Chance Bay. It is a finger off of the main lake and it goes back 7 miles. I have had many good flat runs down that bay. The coves are also good for wind cover.

5. A good time to go is after Labor day. All the holiday people are gone and kids are back in school.
6. Wahweap- Gas $$$, ice, big grocery type store, trash dock
Antelope Point- Gas$$$, ice,Trash, Small snack store, Mile marker 8
Dangling Rope- Gas$$$$$, ice Trash, med size grocery store, Mile Marker 43

7and 8. Bring as much land fuel as Possible. it will be about .80 cents to a $1 less expensive on land. You can pull out at Antelope Point and be in Town in 10 minutes.

Cant help you with #10 but see Joe's answer above.

Good luck
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-04-2005, 4:19 PM Reply   
JOE,
We were riding in Padre most of the time. We did take a couple of runs in Warm Creek on the way back to the dock. By the way if I need a lender for my clients I will send them your way. Can you send me some Business cards???
e-mail me

Peter,

Yes we saw those those posters.
1. The 2 cliffs we were jumping off were 30' and 45' high.
2. we dove down before we jumped to make sure there were no rocks under the water.
3. we took the boat over the landing area and it said we were at 28' deep. So if one of us did die we wouldnt have to swim so far down to find them!!!!

Once i get the pics from my other camera I will show you my buddy doing a layout back flip off the 45' jump. CRAZY!!!
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-04-2005, 5:03 PM Reply   
E Double U, 45' is damn high - I've done 30 ft and that was painful on the feet.

BTW I wasn't bashing you for doing it, I love cliff diving! Wanna see the pics of the flip, man that guy must have ball$!

Pete
Old    wakeboard_neb22            10-04-2005, 7:59 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I was just curious if you could rent any kind of wakeboard boat out there or if id have to tow mine all the way from nebraska.
thanks, tom
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-05-2005, 9:32 AM Reply   
Tommy,
There are no Wakeboard boats for rent that I know of at the Lake. Most of the rentals are 20' i/o runabouts.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-05-2005, 1:48 PM Reply   
We just did our first Houseboat trip to Powell (first houseboat ever in fact). We went out of Bullfrog. About 18 hours of driving each way. We broke it up into two days. Nice Marina and they have every thing just minutes from the ramp. Gas, lodgeing, restraunt, medical and anything else you might think of needing on the water. We moved every day for the most part and made our way down to Dangling rope. Along the way we saw alot of boat in campers. For the most part the lake was not crowded at all. We were there a week and it was not enough time. I think a min. of 10 days is needed to really enjoy the lake. I would love to be able to take 3-weeks and lounge at Powell.