Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-15-2008, 2:53 PM Reply   
If you could have any wakeboard boat, money aside, what would it be? What would you pay for that boat, or what do you think would be fair. I'm trying to decide on my next boat, and would like my next boat to have the widest demographic possible, as I am going to sell it every year. How much would you pay for a current model year boat with 100 hours or less. What options are important to you?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-15-2008, 3:14 PM Reply   
Most wakeboard boats are purchased by families that do more than just wakeboarding. Look at the entire mfgs lineup, select the best or next best selling boat that fits what you want, and buy it. Boats that have poor sales new rarely get better resale as they age.

For example - MC - top would be X-2, next is the X-Star or X-15. Any one would be good for resale.

One note, do not fully option the boat. Options always lose, unless they are considered to be "stock." Stereo, a few speakers, ballast, racks, heater. Otherwise, keep it simple.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-15-2008, 3:16 PM Reply   
If your concern is selling to the widest demographic, buy an X2 or a CC 211 - class dismissed.

If you want something more purpose built, for YOU and YOUR family, let me know.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-15-2008, 3:42 PM Reply   
No question WAKECRAFT
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-15-2008, 3:43 PM Reply   
I have been able to get a new boat every year in the past and really stuck to blacks and white combos for the boat color. I think it it appeals to the masses. I think adding some simple flair like, wheels, tires, tower speakers, bimini are always going to help you get people looking more at yours over the next one. 21' boats are probably the most in demand. V drive is a must. Brand is not as long as it is one of the major manufacturers. Most importantly take great care of it and it should still be like new after a year.

I get more looks and compliments at my boat this year, but it is solid black gel coat, a little bigger, and a big stereo. That being said it is the first time my boat has not sold in the winter. I would probably go back to a 21 with simpler set up next if I plan to continue to get a new boat. I would be perfectly happy with my current one though.

Good luck and just my 2 cents on what has been successful for me
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-15-2008, 6:49 PM Reply   
Options are very hard to recoup. The cheaper boat always sells first. However I personally love all the options plus some of my own. So what works for me are the special edition packages such as the Gravity Games or World's Edition. Keeping boat showroom new every day is a Must.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-15-2008, 7:09 PM Reply   
X2 or CSX

(Message edited by olSkoolTige on April 15, 2008)
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-16-2008, 7:15 AM Reply   
I was thinking X Star or X 35. I am an extremely anal boat owner, so cleanliness is no problem. Boat boats are optioned well, heater, PP, some tower speakers, LY6, etc.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-16-2008, 7:28 AM Reply   
Yo Shawn, what's up!? You should really try and shoot down the road to come to the May Demo (5/17-5/18) and check out a few different new boats. I would love to share my experiences in doing exactly what you're looking to do, for the last 5 years....but it's more fun to talk about it when we're out riding and kicking back a cold one.

Take it easy.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-16-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
I think your going to take a bath if you buy new and sell every year.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-16-2008, 9:53 AM Reply   
I get a new VLX every 2 years, whether needed or not, pretty much could afford larger/any brand. So thats my answer.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-16-2008, 10:54 AM Reply   
I agree with keeping options to the essentials. A lot of people often prefer to customize the bling with aftermarket stuff anyway.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-16-2008, 10:59 AM Reply   
shredhead.....
you would be surprised... be smart like shawn is and ask the questions and make good decision and you will be pleasantly surprised....
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-16-2008, 2:05 PM Reply   
Surprise me with some numbers?

I've been around boats for a long, long time. Some of my buds use to flip boats. Eventually they all just started keeping them as long as they could. The first year always has the greatest depreciation.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-16-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
NAW,

It has finally happened.....I am changing brands. Mark-O made me an offer I can't refuse. E-mail me and I'll shoot you my number. I think that I made a decision today, but it has one factor, so I'm waiting for a phone call.
Shredhead,
I am on a promo deal, so I don't have to worry about taking a bath. Don't bother asking for numbers, because anyone on here that is on a promo deal, can't divulge that information.
Here's what I'm thinking for either boat:
LY6
heater
tower speakers (2)
bimini
Pro tour ballast
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-16-2008, 3:16 PM Reply   
shredhead,
hmmmmm
you sound like you know what you are talking about but there is some simple logic you can apply to life.
"it is not what you sell it for, it is what you pay it for"
the fact of the matter is he is smart to do his homework and minimize his loss.... do most people lose their shorts in the first year of boat ownership? answer is yes. do all people lose their shorts in the first year of boat ownership? answer is no. comes down to buying smart....

(Message edited by tyler97217 on April 16, 2008)
Old     (echo_parker)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-16-2008, 4:35 PM Reply   
No doubt Malibu 23 LSV or 247. IMO they have the most room inside and are very classy.

MC makes a really nice boat.

Maybe I am a little biased because I just bought an 08 Malibu 247.
I like the bigger boats, it is all going to come down to preference, and what you can afford.

Good Luck
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-16-2008, 8:43 PM Reply   
I am coming from Malibu. I love my Wakesetter, but my promo deal is with MC, so an LSV or a 247 is out of the question. I am not worried about losing money, I just want a marketable boat that throws a great wake. The new boat will be an X Star or X-35. I know a lot of other people here that are on promo deals with other brands, so I was looking for some outside input.