Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old    abadsvt            08-15-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
My brother has a Hyperlight brian grubb catalyst wakeskate. He paid i think $100 for it in a benifit auction. He told me i can have it for the $100 if i want it. I wasn't sure if it is a good board and worth the $100. It looks small but i am not sure. Any comments about the board would be appreciated.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       08-15-2006, 11:01 AM Reply   
what year and size? Either way, there's no way it will be too small, unless you're six feet tall or something. His smallest size is a 112, which is roughly 43 inches, which is on the larger side (these days).

Overall, it's not going to be a BAD board. If you're not a heavy wakeskater (heavy as in, the wakeskate is your primary board), it will be fine to tool around on, whether it's from 03 or o6 becuase it's going to last. The boards from 03 and 04 were a bit lighter (which isn't always better for wakeskating), and one complaint tends to lie around the sharp edges (when it came to the hyperlite boards). I can't remember how they've modified brian's board over the years...I'm pretty sure they got rid of the step down rail and they gave it some weight (and possibly more concave), and those modifications would have been made in 05.

If you really get into wakeskating, you'll find that people prefer different materials and things like that, and it's something you'll figure out as you progress and get the chance to try out different boards and designs. But 100 for a start-up concave is a good deal, because that's what a brand new flat deck will cost.

Identification:02= a wood board
03=the point of view graphics with the bird on the 112 and the fish on the 116.
04= point of view graphics that were inspired by mexican movie posters.
05: andy warhol inspired graphics. 112 will have pictures of his friends on it, and the 116 will have a bunch of catalyst logos on it.
06: two boards with argyle and different backgrounds. The 112 should have a white background and the 116 will have green.
Old    abadsvt            08-15-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
I just looked at the board. It is a 112 and is the one with the bird chained to a dead tree. Back ground is color black. Is this going to work? Also how do i find out what year the board is? Thanks Josh
Old     (smokedawg311)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-15-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
what is it worth to you?
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       08-16-2006, 11:35 AM Reply   
that board is from 2003. you can check the wakeworld board guide for specs and such.

100.00 for a concave is not a bad price. if the board is beat to hell, then maybe I'd look for something else. I kind of stated what issues people had with that board (being light, sharp rails, some people don't like foam grip, some like the feeling of a wood board, etc).

since it's your brother, see if he'll let you test it out so you can see if you like wakeskating or not.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-16-2006, 11:51 AM Reply   
That's a decent price...

But to put things in perspective, 2006s are selling on ebay for $50 more than he's trying to sell you his 03 for (which has been used in addition to it just being considerably older).
Old    abadsvt            08-16-2006, 1:04 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone! The board is brand new. Never even ridin. I think next time i go out i will try the skate if the water is nice enough.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-16-2006, 1:28 PM Reply   
Just borrow it and never return it, that's how me and my brothers roll...