Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (bigbird1031)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-03-2006, 8:46 PM Reply   
anyone have rear facing tower lights for night wakeboarding
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-03-2006, 8:51 PM Reply   
Ive done it, the lights dont shine back 75 ft though so it becomes a rather spiritual experience not being able to see the wake.

Last year at midwestwakefest we went out at 3 am and I still drunkenly managed to pull a backroll and bs 180.....still to date one of the coolest things I have ever done.

I can only offer two tips, use "glo sticks" on your lifejacket so the drive can find you, additionally, bring a 1,000,000 candlepower spotlight along for finding riders, aiding vision, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, shining ahead for the driver.

www.midwestwakeboarder.com
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-04-2006, 8:20 AM Reply   
lights are better for surfing at night. Although it's smooth water and you hate to surf on it, its easier on the driver being able to go slow, plus it's like daylight right behind the boat with the lights that much closer
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-04-2006, 8:23 AM Reply   
I found a full moon to be better than the lights.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-04-2006, 8:46 AM Reply   
Darren:

You're in Texas?

Keep in mind that the Texas (as well as most states) boating regulations prohibit riding at night. Excerpt from the regulations:

"
It is unlawful for any person to:

Engage in water skiing, surfboarding or other similar activity between the hours of ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise;"

If you insist, then Mike's suggestion of glo sticks on the life jacket sounds like a great idea. I would fasten them in the back so that the rider's vision was impaired.

A spotlight will come in handy but I recommend against trying to use it as a headlight. Any benefit that could provide will be more than offset by the loss of night vision should the light be momentarialy shone against the hull of the boat.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-04-2006, 2:23 PM Reply   
2 million candle powered spotligththat plugs into cigarette lighter works perfect. Tower lights are also great. Glowsticks also used and felt better having them.
Upload
Upload
umali likes it
Upload
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-04-2006, 2:24 PM Reply   
so does hahn
Upload
Old     (jinxton)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-04-2006, 3:13 PM Reply   
That was a good night. I can't believe we didn't get into any trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old    jolly_roger_wake            08-04-2006, 3:17 PM Reply   
glowsticks work great on the lifejacket, but i'd also highly recommend tying some to your boots in case you lose the board on a hard crash.

i've got 2 rear facing tower lights on my tower, and if i angle them right, they do a good job lighting up the wake where i want to hit it. only problem is that after hitting the spot lit up, i lose my nightvision and can't spot a landing. if i had 2 more lights, i'd angle them to shine on the area outside the wake where i ride, and it'd be perfect. not in the budget for this year though
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-04-2006, 4:44 PM Reply   
Just for the record we were pulled over last Sunday night for riding at night at Saguaro, AZ. It wasn't exactly dark but the AZ rules state that there's no riding after sunset. We were given a warning and escaped a ticket.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-04-2006, 4:46 PM Reply   
Don't do it!
Upload
Upload
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-04-2006, 5:19 PM Reply   
we've road at night with 4 55w lights lighting up the wake at about 45 feet. The light tends to reflect off the 45 foot mark back and lights up the wake enough to spot it ok.
Old    jolly_roger_wake            08-04-2006, 9:49 PM Reply   
forgot to mention, pick up the hyperlite tracer cable and charge it with a tower light. i don't have one, but i bet it looks cool. also, know your state water rules for night riding (most are 1/2 an hour after sunset, mine's 1 hour) and make sure you know your lake! ouch fox!
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-04-2006, 10:01 PM Reply   
or just don't get caught and make sure to know the lake your on like it was your backyard