Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old    akman            08-12-2006, 8:32 PM Reply   
Mr/Mrs Gramps decided to check out our first Canyon Lake Contest today, we took Blabels nephews up so they could ride and hung out with the Williams family. Conditions couldn't have been any better, perfect water, air in the upper 90's, lots of great people, great food and plenty of happy wakeboarders.
I spent most of the day sitting in the tower with Conan alias Jeff Frew (dude looks like he should be entering Mr. Universe contests) taking pictures and overall just taking in the atmosphere. Got a rare treat and got to see Cobe Mikacich's new rig "The Tomcat" up close from the ground and from the water while watching a demo of Cobe throwing down a solid 6 pass run with no falls, spinning, grabbing, tweaking everything, while sitting in the back seat of his rig. There was also a "Holy Grail" sighting as Randall Harris also did a demo session behind Damian's Super Air going very large to entertain the crowd.
I have to admit after meeting Cobe, he is a true ambassador and one of the nicest guys in the sport.
The day was a lot of fun, Rock it Taco's threw down some mean carne asada/pollo asada tacos and I sampled a few with an ice cold brew along with the Frew man.
Towards the end of the day, everyone got a HUGE scare as a gust of wind/small dirt devil came up and blew the tower I had spent most of the day in down. None of the spectators were injured, Jeff Frew managed to escape without injury but Ashley Hughes was thrown out and landed on her hip or side and had to go visit the hospital. If anyone knows how she is doing please post a message letting everyone know how she is doing.
Overall I had a great day and got to put a few faces with the names from Wakeworld.
Valdez providing pick up
Upload
Jeff Frew
Upload
Five O trying to shut it down
Upload
Brent Baums Wakeboarding school trailer
Upload
Groms
Upload
Upload
The tow boat
Upload
missed grab
Upload
Greenhouse booth
Upload
Heelside Air
Upload
Nice Batwing
Upload
picking up downed rider
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Tom Cat and Tow Rig
Upload
Randy Murray sighting
Upload
Wakeworld Camp
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Damian's Rig
Upload
Damian's Rig
Upload
Upload
Eye Candy
Upload
The Tower
Upload
SV 211
Upload
Upload
Rock it Taco's
Upload
My lunch and something to wash it down
Upload
Eye Candy
Upload
The talented Cooper Swink
Upload
Upload
Upload
Frew the Electrician
Upload
Paige Williams
Upload
Blabel's nephew Jared
Upload
Upload
Upload
Tomcat
Upload
B52
Upload
Tomcat
Upload
Eye Candy
Upload
Tomcat dash
Upload
Tomcat rear
Upload
Tomcat nose
Upload
Launching
Upload
Upload
Upload
Blake Williams
Upload
Cobe's ride
Upload
Robin Valdez
Upload
Upload
Upload
Blabel's nephew Morgan
Upload
Upload
Upload
The "Mikker"
Upload
Upload
Eye Candy
Upload
Cobe
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Cobe's wife Tara
Upload
A Holy Grail sighting "The Vandal"
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Tower Carnage
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
I see you....You see me...
Upload
Upload
Damian and Gretchen getting ready for the media
Upload
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-12-2006, 8:41 PM Reply   
nice pics gramps! it's too bad the cl event wasn't a week later. we'll be down in socal next weekend.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-12-2006, 8:46 PM Reply   
btw, i couldn't agree w/ you more about cobe. he was our gracious host during the filming of the chick flick a couple weeks ago in tahoe. he's very hospitable and accommodating. also, it was refreshing to hear someone pump up the their line of boats w/o resorting to bashing other companies. that's cobe for you!

(Message edited by dakid on August 12, 2006)
Old    akman            08-12-2006, 8:57 PM Reply   
Cobe let whoever wanted to pile in the boat jump right on in, he was great to talk to and answered questions without hesitation. He didn't say one negative thing the whole time I was around him, afterwards as we idled back to the dock he just hung on the back of the boat and just enjoyed being there.

A sign of people's character is how they react on certain things, when the tower fell over Cobe was putting his boat on the trailer 100+ yards away, as soon as it happened dude came running full sprint to offer any help he could.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-12-2006, 9:42 PM Reply   
yep. cobe is definitely a really awesome guy.

nice pics. good to see harris on a wakeboard again...
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-12-2006, 9:53 PM Reply   
Gramps,
Nice pics and t was nice to finally meet you.
I cound't agree more with Cobe. I was talking with him for about 20 minutes and the guy was all class.
Its a good thing I left when I did. My daughter and myself were sitting under that tower earlier in the day!!!!
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-12-2006, 11:07 PM Reply   
Wow awesome shots! Many thanks. Man, its great to see the Vandal out on the water...
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-12-2006, 11:40 PM Reply   
yup Joe, Scott, and Gramps summed it up! Cobe and let's not forget his better half Tara... Are very cool peeps! Very down to earth and fun to hang out with!

Just a side note.. as I'm still blown away by this, but Cobe's Frod F650 gets 17 mpg even when towing up to 500 lbs.. crazy!

Wow so Harris showed up.. Very nice! Just one riding pic though...?

Anyone have the results from the comp?
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-12-2006, 11:50 PM Reply   
Nice pics and thanks for the narration!
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-13-2006, 12:11 AM Reply   
500lbs must = 5000lbs?

great pics by the way!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-13-2006, 2:05 AM Reply   
Ashley ended up not going to the hospital and looked to be in pretty good shape later on considering the hit she took. She had a definite limp, but her and Frew were together again announcing from ground level later on. They are both studs for getting hammered like that and continuing on.
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-13-2006, 6:50 AM Reply   
Great pics Aki. Looks like a fun day. How did the boys do? Did they have a good time?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-13-2006, 10:48 AM Reply   
The "boys" had a great time. Jared picked up a medal and Morgan got fifth place out of nice riders. Morgan got his bell run a little on his fall, but he aight!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-13-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
Wait wait wait.... Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Tara is Cobe's fiance' Not wife as of yet. I have yet to get my wedding invitation, or more importantly, bachelor party invitation.
Old     (scws)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-13-2006, 8:25 PM Reply   
Standings are now current through Saturday's comp.

http://www.wakeboardclub.com/standings_2006.htm

Josh
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-13-2006, 8:58 PM Reply   
MORE OF THE RANDALL PLEASE!!!
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-13-2006, 9:45 PM Reply   
looks like alot of fun, great pics! My question is why is the tomcat launched by a tacoma when its tow rig is a f650? one up on the tacoma!
Old    swass            08-14-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
It looks like Morgan has improved quite a bit! Good stuff.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-14-2006, 8:32 AM Reply   
Sweet pic's Gramps WOW nice to see Randy back & his SOLBOUND bindings
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-14-2006, 12:23 PM Reply   
Great pics Gramps. It was great to run in to you and that Hippie Dave, how longs it been a few years at least. I took a few pics that i'll try to post later this evening as i have been celebrating my big win for last few days