Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (grich575)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-11-2006, 12:13 PM Reply   
Hopefully some of the FL riders can point me in the direction of a good lake or river in Central FL to take the family to for a weekend of wakeboarding. We have an '05 XLV and usually go in the C54 canal, basically a long, straight, narrow body of water designed to drain the state so it is no longer all wetlands. The canal is perfect for us living in Sebastian, fresh water and pretty much no chop, but the in-laws have bought a new camper and want to take a weekend trip to a bigger, actually wider, body of water. I have looked around and found a few lakes but don't know which are good for wakeboarding. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-12-2006, 6:46 AM Reply   
We live in Palm Bay on a private lake and occasionally go to C54. I have been living here now for a year and I have no idea where I would be able to find a bigger lake that is also good for wakeboarding. There is lake Washington in Melbourne, but I heard it is open to the wind and infested with gators.
Maybe the Orlando area ?
Old     (grich575)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-12-2006, 11:09 AM Reply   
Orlando area is what I was thinking. I know there are a lot of little lakes in that area but don't know which ones are good for wakeboarding. Lake Washington is pretty bad from what I hear as well. Maybe I will call the boat dealers around Orlando and see what they have to say.
Old     (billybobfl2001)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-12-2006, 11:26 AM Reply   
You may want to consider the Winter Haven chain of lakes. The chain has been mostly built-up with homes so I am not sure if there are any campsites or not. One thing that is pretty cool is to park on the tire wind barrier at Cypress Gardens on lake Eloise and watch the ski show. There are usually a lot of other boats and wakeboarders out but you can usually find a relatively quite place on one of the chain's many lakes. There are also plenty places to eat on the water and get gas.

Don't let gators scare you off. They are in virtually every body of fresh water and rarely want anything to do with humans. Just steer clear of the lakes clearly overpopulated with them.

Clermont may be another place to consider. I think there is plenty of camping on the lakes around there.
Old     (grich575)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-12-2006, 11:46 AM Reply   
Thanks Bill. I will check into your suggestions. The gators are no big deterant. We see 5 to 10 each time we are out. It may only be a couple of gators we see that many times but just like any piece of fresh water in FL there are gators.

I will let you know where we choose to go.

Where do you usually ride??
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-12-2006, 12:18 PM Reply   
Hi Greg,

We live in Palm Bay also on a private lake, you guys should give me a call sometime and ride with us.

Craig
Old     (billybobfl2001)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-12-2006, 1:07 PM Reply   
Greg,

I have a home on a small private lake about 30 miles S of Winter Haven off Hwy 27.

If you are going with family, the Winter Haven chain offers a lot more for a family to do. You can even get to McDonald's on the water, if your inclined. I think you would have a good time. Just check on the camping situation though. I know there is a hotel on Lake Roy, if camping doesn't workout.
Old     (grich575)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-12-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
I checked out the camping and there seems to only be a couple of campgrounds in Winter Haven neither of them on one of the lakes, not that that matters too much. After looking into it I think it will be a great time. Not sure when we will be going but I will post up and maybe a few of us can meet on the water.
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-13-2006, 4:43 AM Reply   
Hey Greg, Moss Park off State Road 15 near Orlando has a great camping and two lake to ride on. Darin Shapiro lives on one of them. Take some potatoes, the deer will eat out of your hands so the kids will love it! Take 95 north, head west on 192 until you hit state road 15, take a right heading north, when you pass under 417 toll road, you need to take a right at a new shopping plaza which is the first right after 417, I'm not sure but I think it's called Moss Park Road, it dead ends at park. From the Sebastian area, it'll take about 1 1/2 hours to get there.
Old     (grich575)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-13-2006, 11:21 AM Reply   
Thanks man, I will check into that as well. Maybe we will see Shapiro airing it out!!
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-13-2006, 1:28 PM Reply   
anyone know if Lake Nona or Lake Hart are any good near Orlando?
Old     (grich575)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-13-2006, 4:07 PM Reply   
From what "olddude" is telling me the two should be pretty nice and I believe they connect through Moss Park. He says you may need to lower your tower to get under the bridge for the road but you can get to both lakes. I hope to visit them sometime soon.