Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old    upupnaway            12-30-2005, 7:15 AM Reply   
I am considering adding a little more ballast this year to my 02 x-star.
I have hard tanks in back, and the bag in the walk through.
Does anyone have pics of their x-star,2,1 wake weighted beyond stock, and what are the configurations you use?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-30-2005, 9:22 AM Reply   
When you say you have a bag in the walk through,do you mean under the floor(stock bag) or you actually add another one on top of the stock in the walk through on top of the floor?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-30-2005, 9:25 AM Reply   
Look at your profile pic,when all you can see is the yellow and the white is under water.You got it just right.
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-30-2005, 9:31 AM Reply   
I rode behind an 01 xstar for about 2 years before I bought my boat. We tried several different things, but the best was putting a 350 on each side(next to the tanks) in the back and then a 350 on top of the ski locker in the walk thru and then a 350 in the bow. Once you add ballast and about 6 people you will love the wake. I know that may sound scary to you, but when I met my friend he didn't add any weight. Now he won't board without it!
Old    upupnaway            12-30-2005, 6:16 PM Reply   
It is the stock bag in the locker.
I am looking to do all of my weighting in a permanant fashion.... I do not want bags laying around.
I have plenty of room under the front seat, and plenty of room in the lockers, possibly doubling the size of the hard tanks and a couple of bags under the front seat.

Got any pics of the wake on that 01 Jeremy?
Old    walt            12-30-2005, 6:25 PM Reply   
Big Ed,

Give Mike the MC slammed recipe for the BIG wake !

Quite beating around the bush !
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-30-2005, 8:08 PM Reply   
Mike ~ I asked my dealer a year ago to hook up a bag or 2 in the bow.It is possible but I could not get enough weight in water under the seats in the bow,so I went with POP-Production bags.

Like I said,depending how much weight you want to run but I strongly advise against adding another 800lbs to the rear of the X1\X2\XSTAR.That's how much it would be if you get bags that will fill the entire lockers next to the engine.It is simply too much weight for that boat.To have that much weight in the back you will need 400-600lbs bag in the walk way and 300lbs to 400lbs in lead under the seats in the bow.MINIMUM
If not,the boat will take a long time to plane and will burn alot of gas.

(Message edited by big_ed_x2 on December 30, 2005)
Old     (mikejessup)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-30-2005, 9:52 PM Reply   
Weight the middle of that boat to get the best wake shape, maybe not Big Ed sized but won't suck gas as bad.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-31-2005, 9:17 AM Reply   
I have an 03 X2 and I replaced stock tanks in the rear with 500 lb sacks, stock up front in ski locker, I believe it's around 400 lbs, a 500 lb sack in the bow and 120 lbs of lead weight under the bow cushions. So that's 2,000 lbs plus passengers. This works well with around 3-4 people on the boat. more people you would not fill the back bags up all the way...as for gas consumption...well, it's not fuel efficient...I also upgraded the prop to help with the hole shot.
Old    jayp            12-31-2005, 12:44 PM Reply   
03 X-2

No hard tanks just 440 lb sacks on each side of the motor, the ski locker sack 350lbs and a 440 sack for the bow. Filled the weight is around 1500lbs. Add six or eight people and the wake is very nice. It is still nice with just three people.

I am going to redo everything this summer. I am looking at this new under the seat bow pad that claims 800 lbs. This is something you may be interested in. http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/wakeboard_boat_ballast_bags/fly_high_integrated_bow_sac_w711

Thinking about replacing the two 440lbs sacks on the sides of the motor with two of these 680lb sacks http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/wakeboard_boat_ballast_bags/launch_pad_single_with_dual_coolers

Getting one of these to move around and fine tune the wake http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/PROD/wakeboard_boat_ballast_bags/launch_pad_link_block_06

And leaving the ski locker and sack in the bow alone.

The under seat bow sack is not going to fill to 800lbs. I plan on getting about 500lbs. The new rear sacks will probably add another 400lbs. That will get me to around 2500lbs. I plan on also adding an additional reversible pump to seperate the bow and stern ballast. Only using one ballast puppy now. With the addition of the front ballast I will need two. The new pump will also feed the ski locker. I could use many more pumps and speed up the filling of the ballast. The reality is that as soon as the boat is in the water the pumps go on. By the time the driver drops off the rig and gets back to the dock, run down to the riding spot, get gear ready, the sacks are full. I will save a dime anywhere I can on this money pit called a boat. I also plan on hooking up a length of hose that can be coiled and stowed away connected to one of the pumps to fill the bow bag or any other bag we want to fill that is not permanently hooked into the system.. I can't stand hanging a pump over the side of the boat.

Then I am done.

My situation is probably different than yours. The boat had no ballast when it was bought so everything is custom. I put everything in so I am comfortable with what I am doing now.

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-31-2005, 5:47 PM Reply   
That bag in the bow is not going fill that much plus it's going to fold and have trouble emptying.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-02-2006, 12:46 PM Reply   
Good thing I stumbled upon this thread. Now I'll know why the wake on our boat seems so much bigger this coming season. Mike, I'm on to you!
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-05-2006, 9:58 AM Reply   
I have a 2000 xstar. Right now Im running
750's each side of the engine (prox sacks)
600? kgb in the locker area
450 sack in the walkway
450 sack across the bow
200 in lead spread around.

The wake is pretty damn sick, and with the preditor engine, it takes a little longer to plane than with no weight, but it definatly planes.
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-05-2006, 10:29 AM Reply   
Here are a few pics of my setup...04' X-2. http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=533
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-05-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   
Nice set-up,too bad you don't have any storage and everytime you change the oil,one of those tanks got to come out or any other work.

If ou don't have to tow far or have your boat on the water,POP bags are the only way to go.

I would post my set-up but then I would have to kill each and everyone that looks at it.
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-05-2006, 12:17 PM Reply   
I have 50 feet to go...storage isn't needed for me....
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-05-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
ya, Im just about ready to pull the trigger on 1000lbs of pop bags. I keep my boat on a lift, so no trailering.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-05-2006, 12:22 PM Reply   
now the question is, will your lift handle an extra G?

Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-05-2006, 1:35 PM Reply   
the lift is designed for a 26' boat, so It will.

I kept all my ballast full over the summer. All that ballast, plus another G might cause some problems tho. I dont really want to plumb in a ballast system tho. I'd just rather drop the boat and ride