Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (andytr32)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-06-2008, 5:42 AM Reply   
I've been lurking on the forums for a couple of years now reading and researching boats & everything related to wakeboarding. I'm very impressed with all of the knowledge and info here (as well as some amazing riders).

Here is my dilemma that I thought I may be able to get some help with, many of you may have gone through this: convincing my fiance that we need a wake boat.

We are getting married in September and my plan is to buy a boat febuary-april if 09. Her response is maybe in 10 years or so!! No way I can wait that long. My plan is to save $15k in my boat fund. I'm 1/3 of the way there and have only been saving for 3 months.

My arguments:
* Parent's own a lake house 2.5 hrs a way
* No need for a tow vehicle, parent's have a truck for launching their 23' sea ray
* Parent's have a spare spot in their garage at the lake house
* Liquidate $10k in the boat purchase, finance an additional $15k-$20k over 5 yrs. Low payments
* Still have $5k in the boat fund for maintenance, insurance,etc
* Parent's boat limits # of friends down at lake
* Parent's boat is an I/O, plus it's my parent's, I'm 26 time to move on
* On lake weekends we never get on the water before 11, with my own boat I can get up whenever and then meet by parent's boat at the party cove later in the day.
* Better wakeboarding, surfing, play boat
* No need to burn my parent's fuel towing riders
* Wedding will already be paid for

Her Arguments:
* Planning kids in ~ 2.5 years, need to save money
* Parent's have a boat, no need for us to own one
* More important things to spend money on (I own a house, car is paid for, no cc debt) not sure where she is going with this one
* She has ~$100k in med school loans, but starts making salary in 3 yrs, interest is deferred until next year (we have $10k in investments to hopefully offset the interest)
* Not into boating as much as I am (however I think she enjoys it much more than she says she does, once I get her doing it more she will be hooked)

Can anyone explain why we should not own a boat? I know this forum will be biased toward my opinion but I'm open to anything.

Our combined salary is currently ~$100k, obviously when she becomes an attending doctor her's will jump, leaving plenty of money to save for kid's (and a better wakeboat down the road ;) ). I think my first goal should be to get her more into wakeboarding, she currently is a fairly good skier.

Any input is appreciated, thanks for reading.

Andy

Pic for clicks (my other hobby is cars):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/andyr32/R.jpg

(Message edited by andytr32 on June 06, 2008)