Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       04-29-2011, 10:29 PM Reply   
Looking for some advise for a friend moving to Jacksonville, Fl. The catch - he bought a boat over the winter to use in Freshwater here, and has just been relocated down to FL for work. Now that he is moving, he wants to take the boat but it is not saltwater Series, (2006 MC). Anybody got advice on some good places to go down there, and/ or rinsing procedures afterwards.

Thanks!
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       05-03-2011, 2:07 PM Reply   
Has anyone been there or know something about riding in river and/or lakes that are 3/1 fresh-to-salt? May be looking at dry-storage also so any input on great flushing techniques would be helpful as well.

Thanks!
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-04-2011, 8:44 AM Reply   
During the week Black Creek is the best. During the weekend watchout!
Old     (cobra_nuggets)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-04-2011, 11:34 AM Reply   
Black Creek is good but slip is right, not really worth going on most weekends. I live on a pretty prime stretch, but it's a bit brackish. There are some good private lakes and some good public lakes but most are outside of the city. I have lived in Jax for most of my life, so if ur buddy wants the hookup, shoot me a PM and I'll send some contact info.
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       05-05-2011, 11:00 AM Reply   
thanks! how about flushing the boats? Any of you guys have problems with the salt down there, or a preferred flush routine?
Old     (cobra_nuggets)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-05-2011, 1:04 PM Reply   
Obv depends on where you ride. FWIW I know quite a few guys that have run their boats in brackish/salt water for years w/ no major problems. Things like closed cooling and zinc anodes can help but are not totally necessary. Preventive maintenance goes a long way when it comes to elements like salt. Do a search for threads on salt water use and it will tell you what you need to know about flushing. BTW tell him to save a huge headache and get a galvanized trailer if he plans on running regularly in salt.
Old     (03suprassv)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-06-2011, 4:20 AM Reply   
Black creek is probably the best area as mentioned but try to go during the week. ON the weekend it is packed and the larger cruisers and power boats run fast in there. You could also ride julington creek and ortega. Ortega is probably the worst spot but its still some where to ride. There is a lake on the westside of town called victory lake. You can join and be a member. They actually have a lot of the wakeboarding tournaments there.

If you are in the service or now someone who is or was you could get them to go out to kingsley with you. We have a lake house in orange springs about an 1 from jax. Theres a lot of lake in the interlachen area.
Old     (jaxfoiler)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-06-2011, 10:54 AM Reply   
Black creek is by far the best place to ride, it does get a little crazy during the middle of the day on a weekend. I have grown up on black creek, and it's by far the best place. There are a few fresh lakes toward Ocala, but that is a good little drive. Black creek is very deep, stay away from the shore line when running and your good, most spots avg 20 30 ft deep! It's always smooth water unless u have the ocean liners running through there like idiots!
Old     (cobra_nuggets)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-08-2011, 6:40 PM Reply   
^^ I was fishing in my kayak on Black Creek last weekend and almost got him by some jackass in a 40-50 ft offshore boat going like 30 knots. Guess wealth and smarts don't always go hand in hand.
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       05-11-2011, 6:17 PM Reply   
thanks everyone for the replies- great community! I'll pass on the recommendations to my friend.