Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-07-2009, 9:28 AM Reply   
What have you guys done to make the plain old floatless LG not sink like a rock. Mine used to be ok for a couple sets, but now it goes right to the bottom of the lake once it hits the water. I remember reading something about putting some sort of foam in the sides of it or the bar- anyone know exactly what to use?

Thanks
Old    ajmac            07-07-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
Do they all end up sinking? I've been using mine for 2 months now and it still floats. Even with a gap in the coating of the mainline filling with water.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-07-2009, 9:37 AM Reply   
I went to my local wake shop and purchased some small foam floats, cut them into half, and then pushed them into the plastic parts of the handle. Handle floats very well now.

I have also noticed that after a set, bring the handle in and shake the water out from inside the handle. That allowed air to get back into that area and allowed it to float. This was what was done before I DIY'd my LG handle.
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       07-07-2009, 9:43 AM Reply   
Yeah, it is possible to pull the endcaps off and shoot an expanding foam inside the bar and put them back on again. Unfortunately, handle w/o floats sometimes will sink. Every couple days you may want to try and drain out all the water inside the bar. For 2010, I'm using a sealed 7076-T6 aluminum bar, which will keep the bar watertight, and WILL float. The bar itself is 25% stronger and lighter than 6061-T6 aluminum.

(Message edited by thedoubleupkid on July 07, 2009)
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-07-2009, 9:44 AM Reply   
I used an LG2 for the first time over the 4th and it floated fine.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-07-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
Use Pipe Insulation. you can get it at any hardware store. Also get some velcro (hook 'n' loop) ties to wrap around it on the ends and middle too for extra security. the pipe insulation that has adhesive strips on it already will help too for security

you can also put the foam on the rope leading directly from the handle's v like this
Upload
the ronix totem one i made (just because and for additional security) with the handle cover that came with it which makes it look more professional
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-07-2009, 12:42 PM Reply   
the 09 totem has 2 floats on it. it floats really well
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-07-2009, 2:16 PM Reply   
I have taken a funoodle and cut pieces out of it sliding it into the grip and the soft vinyl sleeves around the ends of the ropes. This seems to work pretty well.