Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (jearley35purdue)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-09-2008, 6:59 AM Reply   
As I look at the 17" of snow on the ground, does anyone think that we will have the chance to ride by early May here in Ohio? I noticed the first INT event is May 23-25 near Cincy. Would hate to go down there without a run under my belt...
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-09-2008, 7:26 AM Reply   
I usually start my season in mid April. So no we're 5 weeks out. However I just bought a new boat, so we might be 4 weeks out.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (zink)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-09-2008, 7:58 AM Reply   
it depends on how bad u want to ride my first day was april 28th last season and i rode til the second weekend in nov. we want to break our record i'm shooting for april 5th. lets see who can get out first. take pictures and post them. My only problem is getting my wife to be our third.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-09-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
We're organizing a second NWL Norris Lake Ice Breaker for April 26-27. The focus for these breakers is wake surfing. Not sure there will be any chances for wakeboarding then or not. There's also a NWL Crush the Ice for Life, Ice Breaker at Lake Sylvan, Rome, IN on May 10. The Indiana Ice Breaker benefits the American Cancer Society.

We ran crews from April 18th to December 8 last year. I’ve got a dry suit. If you need a 3rd on April 5th, and I see you’re near Dayton, give me a yell. On the other hand I might be looking for an early season 3rd.

Upload
Upload
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-09-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
...ya wasn't that latest snowfall nasty.....I am wondering the same thing...it might be a slow start this year. As I was shoveling snow this morning I actually had thoughts of strapping on my wakeboard and going down some of the hills I have created around my driveway.
Old     (zink)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-09-2008, 8:44 AM Reply   
hey jeremy what division r u in Ive never rode in any event or comp how do i get involved in the INT league? thanks 4 the invite big show I'll keep u in mind
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-09-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
Ryan, the NWL has an event in your back yard on July 13th. The Ohio Wakeboard Championship will be held on East Wood Lake again this year. It's a well run event you should definitely check it out.

we'll also have the Ohio Wakesurfing Championship there as well.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-09-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
We had 60's last week, then it got to the 20s, supposed to get 50's this week, then get blasted with another snow storm. Ah, the midwest! My new boat should be here end of March or so and I'm with Ed. WAnt to put it on the water ASAP!
Old     (zink)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-09-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
is that something i could enter? I'm not sure what division or level id b in. I personally dont know anyone who rides, my father in law slaloms and my wife just goes for her dad me(got to give it up to my wife she was out there with us from april til nov)I never get to talk about or learn of these things unless Im on here, thanks
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       03-09-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
in the Milwaukee area we could usually drop in by mid April but we tend not to because the boat isn't in a heated garage or one attached to the house so I hve to worry about a cold few days and re-winterizing. Maybe I should find some old heater to install in the boat house for early spring, but i really don't need to ride that bad. If I had a heated garage space I'd be out as soon as the ice was off.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-09-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
It's for everyone. Divisions range from Novice to "Outlaw". I found that going to competitions helped me progress by watching what others were doing and deciding what I wanted to work on next. Plus everyone - I mean everyone there is also in to the sport so you can find someone to talk to about the sport that knows exactly what you’re talking about.
Old     (zink)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-09-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
what r the requirements for the different divisions or is there a web site that has the info.Thanks for your help?
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-09-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
Ya'll better make sure that crap is all melted by the time I come up there to visit for Easter.
Old     (sciotorider)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-09-2008, 11:18 AM Reply   
I hope we can ride in columbus before the middle of april especially since i got a trip to orlando planned for the 16. i would really like to get the bugs worked out of my riding before heading down there. if anyone decides to go out in early april and brave the cold water and needs a third let me know im down for a ride and got gas money
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-09-2008, 11:38 AM Reply   
Last year I was on the water May 25th. I'm not sure what the water temp was, I'm guessing high 40's mid 70's air temp. Just checked the 15 day forecast and it's not over they are calling for snow the March 22-23.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-09-2008, 11:42 AM Reply   
Ryan, A friend of mine, Bryon Greene runs the Wakeboard Midwest web site. He's positing up event information for Chris Walker, VP of USA Wakeboard. My events as well as other will be posted on that web site as well as the events forum here. The link to Bryon's web site is: http://www.wakeboardmidwest.com/

And, the link that Bryon provided for the NWL is: http://www.wakeboardmidwest.com/

The NWL information isn't up to date for 2008 yet. Take a look at the online 2007 NWL guide on the NWL web site. That guide will give you general information as well as division specifics and what level of riding is appropriate for what division. The divisions are:
..Novice
..Intermediate
..Advanced
..Outlaw
..Master’s (Over 30)
..Veteran’s (Over 40)

Xgirl, did I miss you last year. You were up in was it Cleveland and interested in getting some riding in, I forget. Give me some advance warning and I should be able to hook you up with some rides.

Chris, do you remember seeing the Red Centurion on Griggs set up for surfing – that’s me but you won’t see that boat any more. I have an Enzo for this year. I have a crew email with about 30 names that I run all season long. I and several others use the email distribution to set up crews. I’m going to be out early this year for sure. Attached is a picture of the first time I had the Mighty Centurion out in early April 2005. If you like I could add your name to the email distribution so that if my boat is full you at least stand a good chance getting a ride on one of several others.

Upload
Old     (sciotorider)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-09-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
ed- i remember your boat it had a nice wake on it. definetly put me on the list im always lookin for a pull
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-09-2008, 1:02 PM Reply   
Your on the list.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-09-2008, 2:41 PM Reply   
Hard to believe our 1st time out up here in Cleveland last spring was March 31st, drysuit of course.

Like Ryan said, depends on how bad you want it and how much your willing to suffer. Its not so bad till your actually standing on the platform ready to jump in.
Old     (jearley35purdue)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-09-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
Ryan,

Last near I rode in the Beginner Class, can't remember what the exact name of it was. But as the others said the classes range from beginner to outlaw. It was the first year back for the OHIO INT and the event turn outs were sort of low. They have a excellent group running the organization and are always looking to beef up their numbers. I would recommend it to anyone as the competition is fun in itself. Never mind the fact that they usually a have some PHAT local boat dealers donate some really nice pull boats for both wakeboarding and skiing.

I only got a 3-2suit, but I'm willing to brave the cold in mid april only if there is a water heater on board!!!
Old     (jearley35purdue)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-09-2008, 3:44 PM Reply   
Mike K,

Can't believe you rode in March last year in Cleveland! Please tell me it wasn't on Lake Erie......
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-09-2008, 4:11 PM Reply   
Jeremy,
Heck no, West Branch out in Ravenna. Never been on lake erie and never want to unless its a fishing charter or someone else's boat.
I was fortunate enough to borrow a drysuit and some neoprene gloves, 1st to use them so they weren't even wet and the boat had a heater.
Old     (zink)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-09-2008, 5:34 PM Reply   
my father in laws house is on the water and we sit in the hot-tub(its in the house) for 15 min then i put my wet suit on and put warm clothes over that til i ride. there is only 2 of us so we each get about a 20min set in and head back to the house and get in the hot-tub. I am very fortunate in this case it makes a difference when u dont have to stay out that long.the good thing is we have the butter to ourselves wich isnt the case when its warmer....CAN'T HAVE IT ALL
Old     (sciotorider)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-09-2008, 5:47 PM Reply   
ed- did u get a new enzo and did u get it loaded with all the ballast tanks and switchblade?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-09-2008, 6:08 PM Reply   
She's a 2006 with two stock ballast tanks. The 4 and 5 ballast tank systems weren't available in '06. I have three FH 750s, two FH 400s, and 270 in bag weight. I don’t think I’ll buy an Enzo sack.

I've been talking to Scott Adams at Pivotal. Pivotal designed and makes the SB for Centurion. They are working on a new Switch Blade for wakesurfing, let's call it the Surf Blade. If I add a Switch Blade it will be a Surf Blade.

The boat doesn't have a heater. I'm considering adding one. It has one standard board rack and one surfboard rack. I typically take a half dozen boards with me. I'll need to do something but I've already spent all of my husband points and I'm running a serious point deficit. Some toys might have to wait.
Upload
Old     (sciotorider)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-09-2008, 6:18 PM Reply   
thats a sweet lookin boat cant wait to see it out the water bet it will put out a great wake for surfin and boarding
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-09-2008, 6:57 PM Reply   
Thats a real nice boat Sullivan. Congrats! Thats way to cool it comes standard with a surfboard rack!! Love it.
I visit Cleveland every 4th of July for a week. I'll hit ya up again when its closer to July.

Erie is not that bad ya'll. I rode on it one time and i'll never forget it. The water was slick as rooster snot all the way to friggin Canada. Rode a straight line for what seemed like an eternity.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-09-2008, 7:32 PM Reply   
X Girl, on the weekend of June 28-29 I'll be at the Muncie Water Bowl, Muncie, IN. We’ll be running the Indiana Wakesurfing Championship on the 28th. Then Chris Walker will run a wakeboard tourney on the 29th.

On July 13th there will be another combined wakesurf/wakeboard tourney at Eastwood Lake in Dayton.

The week of July 4th should otherwise be fairly open. Ya, hit me up closer to the 4th.
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-09-2008, 7:37 PM Reply   
To ride lake erie you have to be willing to catch the sunrise. You can usually get flat morning water about 4 days out of the week. Calm evening water maybe about 2 days a week. In the Spring and Fall you can get full days of calm water sometimes... It definitely sucks when lake erie isn't cooperating, but when it is calm there is no better place to ride... but I ride at Griggs now! ha
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-09-2008, 7:45 PM Reply   
PERFECT! Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to plan it right so I can go to the Muncie comp. Thanks.