Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old    allanofcalifornia            08-03-2006, 11:10 AM Reply   
These are my options. What would you recommend?

1. Buy a 06 VLX for 53,100 with pull-up cleats, fiberglass swim platform, 340 hp engine and bimini with immediately delivery.

2. Pay $500 more to get 2007 VLX with 4 to 6 week delivery timeframe.

3. Wait until boat show in January to try to get cheaper price.

Thanks
Allan
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-03-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
Do you have a boat now? If you do wait until January unless you have to have it. In a couple of years an 06 will be two years old and an 07 will be one year old, it does make a difference, look at blue or black book values. The book does not care if you bought it early or late of 06... it is still an 06. I would pay $500 more for a year newer boat.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       08-03-2006, 11:35 AM Reply   
I would wait till the boat show. If they still have the 06 you should be able to get an even better deal. If not they always have specials at the boat show.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-03-2006, 12:07 PM Reply   
Remember this most all boat prices will go up for the next year model. I know Mastercraft is increasing their prices on all 2007 boats. So you pay the 500 now or later it does not matter. If you want the boat now then buy it if you have a boat and can wait until January then wait. My experience with boat shows is that the deal seems super sweet but in all reality if you walked into a boat shop and said I will take this boat here is the check clean it up and hook it to my truck you will get just as good a deal if not batter than any boat show. Here in Texas most deals are free cover or some BS like that. Hope that helps. You will enjoy that boat my friend has one and I love it.
Old    ilovetrains            08-03-2006, 12:17 PM Reply   
Post your question on themalibucrew.com

Do you know what the changes in the VLX from 06 to 07 will be? I believe they may be changing some of the color options and there is a new standard wedge. Other than that I am not sure.

I think it really comes down to whether you want/need a boat in the next few weeks. I would order just because I would want it set up just the way I wanted, colors, etc. I know that many dealers do not have much inventory left at this time of year. Sometimes that makes them want to hold on to something and may not give the best price. I know the price you qouted is fair, but certainly not a dealer trying to unload something late in the season.
Old     (ncbschzzt)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-03-2006, 3:12 PM Reply   
I just bought a 06 VLX two months ago and would agree on the wait, except for the fact that the season will be over by the time you get it. So that is something to think about as well. Is it better to get it now and use it now or wait until next season? Also you must remember you need to put 10hrs on your boat before you start weighting it and riding behind it. Personally I chose the teak swim deck due to the fact if you leave your boat in a slip over night you are asking for someone to screw up your deck. Fiberglass is much harder and more expensive to fix than replacing just a board or two on the teak deck. I do think the fiberglass one is much cooler looking though. If it were me I would buy the one available just because I can't wait, not to mention I did do that anyway. VLX is a bad ass boat and when weighted down it makes a amazing wake. I am running all the stock ballast plus 1200lbs in the rear and 350lbs towards the front.

In regards to some of the other posts, if you buy a boat and your concerned with resale value then don't buy a boat. You are going to lose a grip of money no matter what, so I wouldn't make that your first concern. Number one concern is do you like the boat the dealer has, if not then wait. You are going to have this boat for a long time so you better like it. 500 dollars is worth being happy with your decision. Good luck and good boating.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       08-03-2006, 9:24 PM Reply   
Buy 07, customize it, make it your boat. If you are going to sell it in a couple years get a shelf boat. Boat shows are shell games. You might get a little here and there and some free merchandise, but a good dealer will be working to get you a good price now not just in January. Every one waits for boat shows. Some dealers will list the boat price without a trailer then add 5% on to the trailer when you're not expecting it; and other stuff like that.
The best deals are the ones where the person is done with their season and wants to offload before another winterization. Getting a used boat now will save you cash and besides the best riding is always in Fall any ways.