Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-10-2006, 10:09 PM Reply   
Just got done watching Counterfeit This and Pre-Pop, specifically the Murray section (always amazing). Anyway, I got to wondering just exactly how I am supposed to go about one of those cool looking tumble turns...I can never seem to get it right, I have tried a couple times. Is there something that I need to focus on? Anyway, the lake is going to be glass this weekend, and I want to give it a go, so if anyone wants to shoot some advice my way, it would be greatly appreciated!
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-11-2006, 1:56 AM Reply   
can u explain this tumble turn?
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-11-2006, 5:29 AM Reply   
It's the turn where Murray looks like he falls back on his back, rotates 360 across the water and catches his edge and gets back up. Usually does a raley before doing the tumble turn, not sure how to do it though.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-11-2006, 6:13 AM Reply   
Try it barefooting first. It's easier on a boom, but either way, if you get it down barefooting, you should be able to get it pretty quick boarding.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-11-2006, 7:03 AM Reply   
Uh, well, I don't barefoot. Is there anyone who can tell me how to do it on a board, technical wise?
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-11-2006, 7:07 AM Reply   
d'u have to be moving really quick when doing it? i ride on cable sometimes so could be a sweet surface trick.

i'm also guessin my neil pryde jacket might stop me sliding properly on the water cause its got that sieve like impact absorbtion.

can anyone post a video of it?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-11-2006, 7:24 AM Reply   
not any faster than you ride. you have to use the rope to pull you around. never done it but watched it alot. i think you start by getting low so that you stay on the surface. basically let the board slip out in front of you then throw your arm in a full circle around your head. the tough part looks like getting the board back under you. then stand up.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-11-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
I think he is going a little faster, only because he is edging so hard before he drops that his butt is almost touching the water. That also should give you a couple seconds of reduced line tension.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-11-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
it's the funniest thing to watch DeanO tumble turn every single corner at OWC for no apparent reason..
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-11-2006, 8:19 AM Reply   
think i need to see it! can anyone post it up?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-11-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
If you get reduced line tension, you will probably not be able to get it down easy. It looks to me that he is using centrifical force to keep the line tight and increase the speed. If you slow down you will sink then the line will snap, which would make it very difficult to hold on.

Garret, just because you "dont Barefoot" does not mean that you cant learn. That will be the easiest way to learn a tumble turn. BTW, many of the pro wakeboarders were accomplished all around waterskiers and/or Barefooters before they started wakeboarding.

(Message edited by byrd on April 11, 2006)

(Message edited by byrd on April 11, 2006)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-11-2006, 8:38 AM Reply   
Anytime you cut all the way out to the end of the line, you are traveling faster than the boat. At this point you have to wait until the boat catches up. For a couple of seconds you have reduced line tension. I could be wrong, but it looks like he needs the speed to skip across the water, with a couple seconds of reduced tension to pull the handle around his body.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-11-2006, 8:51 AM Reply   
Tumble turns are actually pretty easy. The majority I have done have been somewhat accidental. Usually, I was gonna go out the front anyway and was able to tumble to recovery. Pretty much, just have some speed into the flats. Then put all your weight over your front foot, which will decelerate your board tossing you out the front. Ball up, land on your back, keep the handle low and you should come around after a few tries.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-11-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
can someone post a vid, cause it sounds pretty sweet and wanna learn it but can't fully imagine it yet.

matt vda, if you put ure weight on ure front foot, wont' you get your nose dug in then take a nice face plant?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-11-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
Matt, how is your back?
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-11-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
A tumble turn on a wakeboard is nearly the same as barefooting. Get you butt and body as low to the water as possible, try and keep the handle close and at or slightly below your waist, when you flopping onto your back make sure of three things, keep the handle in and as low as possible, keep you leading hip and shoulder out of the water, keep your board up in the air and don't let it hit the water, if the handle is low, leading hip and shoulder is up, the spin will take care of itself because your upper body weighs way more than your lower body, the only other thing you have to remember is pull your knees in and not to put your board down too early, complete the spin first! Good luck, as I said, position, position is key, a few extra miles per hour will help. I'm 46 years old and I'm 3 out 3 tries on these. I'd love to give you a video of this but I hurt my knee a few weeks ago. What really stinks is I won't be able to ride on Friday when we demo the new 220 Correct Craft.
Old     (rorowake)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-11-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
Here's a link to a video of Shaun's tumble turn. Insert blatently obvious promotion here- Clip taken form the video SNAFU.

http://www.wakepics.com/img/18929
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-11-2006, 11:01 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help guys. I will get some videos of my attempts this weekend so you all can laugh, then tell me how bad I am! Seriously though, I would like to learn to barefoot (parks in the CFT video with the nice one footers!) but I just dont have the time right now with school to learn it...maybe this summer...
Old    absolutofft            04-11-2006, 11:32 AM Reply   
If you have time to go wakeboarding you have time to learn barefooting. It's actually really easy to learn by sitting on a kneeboard then just placing your feet onto the water once you get up to speed.
Old     (smalls136)      Join Date: May 2004       04-11-2006, 3:33 PM Reply   
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php/opener-wake-vid_wakeboarding-wake.html?medid=16806
here is one about half way through this vid.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-11-2006, 6:06 PM Reply   
I saw Shaun do it one time in person a few years ago (Fiesta Island), and it blew me away. First time I had seen it. He was about 30 feet from outr boat. I saw it again the other day on a "Pull" episode. I would also like to give it a try sometime.

Just wondering... how about trying it on a wakeskate, just to get the tumble right, and not really try to get back up (obviously). Just an idea, probably not a good one.

I think having the right type of vest would be critical also.

Maybe I will give it a try soon. Ha! I will let you know how it turns out.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-12-2006, 1:37 AM Reply   
that murray tumble turn vid doesn't seem to work. but got the otherone!

now i see what you mean, kinda looked like you started the roll by sticking u butt in the water then doing an army roll over your back.

looks pretty sweet, i'll give it a go with my current jacket, if that doesn't work i'll borrow a mates and get sliding across the water!
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-12-2006, 1:40 AM Reply   

now i see what you mean, kinda looked like you started the roll by sticking u butt in the water then doing an army roll over your back.

looks pretty sweet, i'll give it a go with my current jacket, if that doesn't work i'll borrow a mates and get sliding across the water!
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-12-2006, 1:43 AM Reply   

Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-12-2006, 1:54 AM Reply   
oooops, double clicked on send
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-12-2006, 10:24 AM Reply   
Try tripple clicked. : )
Old     (jwr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-12-2006, 11:14 PM Reply   
Garret sounds like you have a little man crush on murray
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-13-2006, 7:24 AM Reply   
Was watching the book last night and someone does it on there in the credits of the basic inverts dvd. Not sure who it is but right as the last credit/sponser is rolling up the screen at the end of the vid, somebody does a toeside w2w then tumble turn.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-13-2006, 11:04 PM Reply   
Justin, call it what you want, I just want to be able to tumble.

By the way, I tried it today behind a jetski, I dont think I got on my back enough, cause I totally spun out and just caught my board...Ill be trying this on Sat too...
Old    auby            04-13-2006, 11:17 PM Reply   
It is easy when you are cutting out on your heal side (backside). This allows your body posture to sit low to the water and usually you have more speed when cutting out on your heal. Having the boat speed up a few mph will also help on this trick.
Just- as you are cutting out- keep handle somewhat close - arms slightly bent. Get low to the water and drop your outside shoulder while you begin to drop your back on the water. Use the handle to spin you around by pulling it closer to you (the tension is what will spen you around). Make sure both the board and your head are off the water during the entire move. Wants you get past 3/4 of the spin}- slowly lower the board down on the water and use the rope's tension to pull you up.

Hope this helps-
Randy
Old     (barefootbob)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-14-2006, 10:29 AM Reply   
Craig [olddude]got it right.The main thing to getting your body back around is holding the handle close to your body and below the hip and keep the leading edge out of the water[lean away from the direction your going].You could practice on the boom and 5'rope/handle with out the board,just like footin do the tumble up to your but learn to ride your but just dont stand up barefoot.Riding your but,the handle should be to the hip and close to your body,lean back a little like your in a recliner.You can acually use your elbows as rutters.If your swaing back and forth dont try to correct or steer it just makes it worse just lean back alittle and keep you body at a 90 to the water and momentum will do the rest.Once you learn the tumble up and can ride on your but in control then try with the board on.Your life jackett might make it harder when you come around it might snag the water.Dont know how local you are but I can have you doing this in like 15 min and footin in less time.Its easy with the right tech.
Old     (shawnyknoxville)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-14-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
I always thought that it had something to do with the way that Murray’s jacket was designed and because I've only seen him and maybe Darin Shapiro do because Murray’s full metal jacket is a smooth thick layer of neoprene on the back and it's also very buoyant as well, I don't know but I don't think that it would work as well with my A-10 attack vest because of the light materials and how the surface is all uneven, I don't know what do you guys think?
Old     (barefootbob)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-14-2006, 11:49 AM Reply   
Use a Barefoot suit to learn.After you get it down you can pull it off with the life jackett.Put on a dry suit will also help.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-14-2006, 12:18 PM Reply   
I can do them barefooting but can't pull it off with a wakeboard or slalom ski. At the slower speeds there is just too much drag and it's too hard to get your feet back in front. I guess if you had tons of speed you might be able to pull it off, but I can't seem to get my nearly 200lb carcass back up. By the way I have blown out a shoulder holding on during a tumble so be careful it's really hard on the rotator cuff.
Old     (spudski67)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-14-2006, 1:12 PM Reply   
doesn't seem like that great of an idea to me...the best way to blow out your acl is on your back with your knees bent trying to stand up.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-14-2006, 5:11 PM Reply   
a smooth surface will help but it is very possibly to do with any jacket. soon as you get to your back your body should be in a crunched posistion like ur doin a crunch. knees sucked to your chest and head tucked down to your knees. use your arms to steer yourself. if done right from the begining the momentum will bring you around fairly quickly and easily.