Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 16, 2003

Old     (dlockett99)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-08-2003, 10:13 PM Reply   
Reading the previous post about boat speed seems everyone that adds massive amounts of weight has to increase their speed to clean up their wake.. If you think about it this it really doesnt make sense. Say that the ideal speed is 20 mph and we all agree that we add weight to our boat to make the hull sit deeper in the water when it is in motion, this produces a bigger wake. The faster the boat moves the higher the hull sits out of the water. So seems like 1000# at 20 mph produces the same wake 1500# produces at 24mph.. So why not just put 1000# in and drive at 20mph with a clean wake. I think alot of people just over do it with weighting their boat with like 2500# or so. Try less weight distributed correctly at lower speeds, I think its great. Everyone see what I am getting at.

I guess you still have to think about Line length and being able to clear the wake. Personally I like 70' at 20mph but if you were to go 80' out you might need 24 mph to clear a wider wake. And Most people are moving to the longer rope lengths so maybe that is why SO much weight is needed.
Old    wakeboarder4lif            06-08-2003, 10:23 PM Reply   
That does make sense. I ride at 22.5 on a 75 foot line with about 1500lbs. of ballast and a few people so about 2000lbs. of weight in a super air that is where my wake looks and fells the best for me.
Usually the best wake for you is the one that you ride the most no matter what the size or shape.
Its just personal opinion
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-08-2003, 10:39 PM Reply   
Daniel, I personally could not ride at 20 mph because I would sink the board too much.

When riding smaller wakes I always ask for as slow of a speed as possible to build the wake size however, it doesn't seem to be as solid.

In most wakeboats boats, the more weight the better IMO.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-09-2003, 12:21 AM Reply   
Seems to me if i ride too slow i cant clear the wake, too fast and ...well... things seem to happen too fast while im in the air. 21.5 wake 19.5 skate
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-09-2003, 12:46 AM Reply   
heres the scoop, or how i feel it is done, and how it is done in my boat and my friends' boats.

your right, 1000 lbs at 21 mph with a 70 ft line.is awesome.

but as you progress you want to take tricks bigger, to take them bigger you move to a longer rope, say 75 to 80 to 85.
well if u go 21 mph w/ an 85 ft line. your in white wash city. so you need to speed things up a little bit.
then the faster you go, the smaller the wake, so u need to sink her a little bit.

so when u start jumoping and gettin some air. 1000 lbs at 65-70 ft at 21 mph(pending on boat) is great. when u go to 75-80 ft line you add another 1000 lbs or so and you go to 23-24 mph, then when u wanna go a lil biggher you run about 3000 lbs, 85 ft line, and about 26 mph

so thats how i do it. probably similar to alot others.. probably different then alot others.
skylar
Old     (dlockett99)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-09-2003, 1:55 AM Reply   
Your right skydog the wake is washed out at 80-85ft at slower speeds and you problably need that faster speed to clear the wake at 80ft. I really havent ever ridden at 80-85ft, are you really getting that more air time than me riding at 70-75ft landing out in the flats? I like slower speeds for some reason, seems like on handle passes it gives me more slack time or something. I Just feel really uncomfortable at 23-24mph and I know that I am getting the same height as anyone out there. I guess alot of it is goin to be preference. Should I try a faster speed? Am I missing something?

Dont you guys think alot of times people are substituting faster speed for proper edging technique?? At 75ft 20mph I can easily land everything in the flats.
Old     (dlockett99)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-09-2003, 1:56 AM Reply   
Your right skydog the wake is washed out at 80-85ft at slower speeds and you problably need that faster speed to clear the wake at 80ft. I really havent ever ridden at 80-85ft, are you really getting that more air time than me riding at 70-75ft landing out in the flats? I like slower speeds for some reason, seems like on handle passes it gives me more slack time or something. I Just feel really uncomfortable at 23-24mph and I know that I am getting the same height as anyone out there. I guess alot of it is going to be preference. Should I try a faster speed? Am I missing out on something?

Dont you guys think alot of times people are substituting faster speed for proper edging technique?? At 75ft 20mph I can easily land everything in the flats.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-09-2003, 5:30 AM Reply   
Daniel the main reason for increasing the length of the line is to do bigger tricks wake to wake. My body can't take landing in the flats everytime so I ride as long of a rope as the wake allows. Skydog hit the nail on the head, at slower speeds you can't ride that long of a rope.