Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (sarandoug)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-07-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
Can anyone out their recommend a good place to have regular service done on our MC in the Stockton CA area... Preferably not a dealership..
Old     (dmontandon)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-07-2006, 4:09 PM Reply   
I'm looking for the same thing any help....
Old     (rake)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-07-2006, 4:18 PM Reply   
Larson's marine is a stand up dealership in stockton, but honestly for routine maintenance have you thought of doing it yourself?

It's a great way to be come familiar with how your boat works, doesn't take that long and will save you hundreds of dollars a year depending on your usage. Get a couple of sets of the MC specific parts to minimize your trips to the dealership and the rest from a local Kragen, Pep boys or other auto parts store. A manual oil pump, fake-a-lake and basic tool kit is all you need.

Otherwise, here is a listing of marine repair services in Stockton.

http://stockton-ca.iaf.net/city/boat~repair~and~storage/stockton-california-ca-284.html
Old     (dmontandon)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-07-2006, 4:45 PM Reply   
How does that work from MC's perspective when it come to the warranty and what not... In other words if I do the work will it void my warranty?
Old     (rake)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-07-2006, 5:12 PM Reply   
Just like a car, if you keep your records and receipts your warranty stays intact. Boat and car dealerships thrive on that fear. 100 hour service for my 205V was 400 at the dealer, about 100 in parts at the stores. Nice to save 300 bucks (aka 3 tanks of gas) by doing it myself.

from yahoo answers.

Can I do my own service and keep my warranty? i.e. 20,000 mile service (should be the same for a boat)

you can do most any normal maintenance on the car w/o voiding the warranty. by LAW the dealer cannot 'force' you to go to their shop to have work done. (and voiding the warranty counts as forcing).

now, as to whether you should or not, depends. what all is included in the 20k service? is it just fluid changes? %90 of fluid changes can be done by the home mechanic, cheaper and faster than a dealer can. just make sure to keep receipts, mark the mileage down etc.

later on, if there is an issue, the onus is upon the dealer to PROVE that something you did destroyed the vehicle. so keep you receipts saying "purchased 6 qts oil on 3/22/06" whatever. shoot, you have to keep the receipts of the work done at the dealership also, since they don't keep track of everything.

now. if you replace the spark plugs, and the engine blows, and it turns out you put the wrong kind in...well, then you are screwed.

so make sure you are putting the write fluids/pieces in(should be in the service manual) and keep track of everything.
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-08-2006, 8:03 AM Reply   
Hey Cyclone and Douglas, I see that you are in Lathrop, if you dont mind going over the Altamont then Liquid Wrenchs is one of the best places out here. It is in Livermore right off of Vasco. It is owned by one of the old Ski World owners (Scott) and they service everyone. All the guys there are all Mastercraft certified and Trained. The phone number is 1-925-961-1670. All indoor shop with Gated outside. All the guys there are awsome and go above and beyond to get your boat taken care of.