Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 10, 2003

Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-19-2003, 11:28 AM Reply   
I am thinking of taking out the tanks in the rear and putting in 600lbs sacs and hooking them up the the pumps and plumbing. That way i'd have 1200lbs vs 300 or whatever they are with a flick of the switch.

Has anyone out there already done this? If so let me know what you think.
Old     (doubleup)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-19-2003, 11:54 AM Reply   
I did it on a '01. its definately a good idea if you want a big wake
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-19-2003, 1:55 PM Reply   
It's very easy to do in the '02 because the ballast system uses impeller pumps. As a result, you can use a standard two vent bag and attach the existing fill hose to one end and the vent to the other.

Check out www.flow-rite.com for quick release fittings and an improved barb fitting to attach directly to the bag (instead of the blue waterbed fittings). You will be very happy and will have have a bullet-proof, leak free set up.
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-19-2003, 3:38 PM Reply   
I did it with my 02. Did it mainly for storage space for boards when the sacks are empty. I used some 1" barbed fittings to tap into the sacks. They press into the sacks real tight and then put a wite tie just to make sure. Go to Lowels or where ever and look for some gray pvc pipe fittings. I think they are mainly used for sprinkler systems.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-20-2003, 10:47 AM Reply   
How about the opposite? Would the lockers fit two of the stock tanks? Figured the second one could be removable for when you need to get to the engine for service.
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-20-2003, 1:43 PM Reply   
I think two tanks would fit, but you won't have any room for anything else. If you live on a lake then go for it. I drain my sacks and can then put two wakeboards and jackets, rope, etc in each trunk. The skyski goes under the observer seat. Everything needed to go boating stays on the boat. Get home, open hatch and hang vest on them to dry. I can hitch up and be gone in 5min. More if we pack a lunch.
Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-20-2003, 5:29 PM Reply   
I was originally going to try to hook my bags up to the ballast tanks. I have sacs with the hole in the bottom to drain. I was going to put a T in the line and then I'd get the bags to fill with the tanks.

If I fill the bags and the tanks that's too much weight without adding some up front. Most of the time we'd be fine with just 600 total on each side and the factory sack in the middle. No pumps to mess with and quick fill/empty. Then on the weekends we would probably put a 600 pounder on the floor in the middle.
Old    rtm            01-20-2003, 5:49 PM Reply   
Being an owner of a 2000...can someone tell me how much weight the rear tanks hold per side?? I've been curious whenever I read posts on weighting options...How much per side??
Thanks in advance.
Old     (johns)      Join Date: Sep 2000       01-21-2003, 10:48 AM Reply   
I believe the rear tanks hold 200lbs each. 600LBS per side in the back seems excessive!! I use to run 550lbs sacs at about 2/3 full at the most. I also ran a locker sac 375lbs and then a pair of side sacs up front with 3-4 people usually. I nromally ran about 1200-1400lbs total ballast. The X-star throws an excellent wake with just about any amount of ballast even stock!! Not to flame but you might also want to work on your basic techniques, like progressive edging, loading the line ect..ect.. After I learned the basics I learned I could get more air time from a smaller wake. Back to the addtional ballast, If it were me I would probably just add lead to the back lockers and under front seat for more ballast. This way you keep most of the storage space in the real lockers for gear.
Old    rtm            01-21-2003, 12:30 PM Reply   
Thanks for the responce John.

I felt that 600lbs a side seemed like a lot...not to mention 750lbs a side when you hear some people suggesting a 550lb sac per side on top of the stock ballast tanks.

Whenever I've added more weigth to the back I've always found myself having to match it in the front to keep the wake shape the way I like it. 1500lbs in the rear alone would mean 1500+ lbs in the front for the way I like the wake to shape...Man that's a lot of weight.

I guess whatever works best for you.

Next season I will be running about 840lbs in the rear and roughly 900 in the front(that includes the ski locker full - - 2000's have no rear stock ballast)

Old     (johns)      Join Date: Sep 2000       01-21-2003, 1:08 PM Reply   
When I first started using ballast I borrowed sacs from friends. I started by filling the rear sacs full and had as much as the locker sac would hold. Although the wake was nice the boat drove like do-do, wash over the back deck, took along time to plane, ect.. It wasn't until I was putting 3/4ths of the rear weight up front that I realized the wakes potiential. The wake gets better on the X-stars when you even out the weight front to back. 1050-1500lbs ballast not including the engine(V-drive)is to much weight in the back for a boat but that is just my opinion. I am a boat owner, so I know the entire costs of owning such an expensive toy. I feel like I am "pushing the boat to hard" when I overload it. I want my boat to last for years to come with no problems. I feel if you overload your boat things will start to malfunction sooner rather than later. In my Super Air I just run the stock ballast and it kicks an awesome wake. Add 4-5 people and the wake is phenomonal!! I can't wait to break the boat out again!!!!!
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-21-2003, 1:21 PM Reply   
John, I agree with your thinking on the overloading, but am at the same time a junky for that extra straight-up kick.

I have spent a decent amount of time behind Super Airs, but limited behind an X-Star, and an improperly weighted one at that (3 ballasts full plus fat buddies as far as they would fill next to the rear tanks, but no extra up front).

Between the two, the Nauti seems to have more buck for the same weight, but I also feel like we short-changed the X-Star with no weight up front. Does it get more comparable to the Nauti if weighted properly (keeping in mind that the less extra over the ballast the better philosophy)?

Just curious to hear people's thoughts on that since I may be in the market for one of the two. Thanks.
Old    waterjunky            01-21-2003, 1:30 PM Reply   
Anyone every take the hard tanks out of a Sport Nautique? I want to, but I've heard it is difficult.
Old     (johns)      Join Date: Sep 2000       01-21-2003, 1:38 PM Reply   
The Super Airs have of a bucking or vertical style wake. It took me a while to get used to it as I loved my X-star wake. My 99 X-star claimed to weigh 2750lbs dry as per MC website and brochure. My Nautique claims to weigh 3190 as per the CC web site and brochure. The Nautique has a 820lbs stock ballast. So here is how I see it.

02 Team Super Nautique 3190lbs + 820ballast = 4010 lbs Total

99 MC X-star 2750lbs + 1250Ballast = 4000lbs Total

The way I weighted both of my boats were about the same. The only thing that changed were riders that went out with me that day.

I feel is is best to go out an test the boats you are thinking of buying.
Old     (johns)      Join Date: Sep 2000       01-21-2003, 1:41 PM Reply   
My Manual says to remove the tanks for winter storage. I thought about it but decided it looked like it would be too dificult as well. I have the Wedge shaped tank and not the flat tanks though.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-21-2003, 1:48 PM Reply   
Sorry for being so dense, but what you are saying is that for the 4000 lbs total, the Nautique will have a more bucking wake? That is what I thought I had experienced.

But yes, I need to ride the x-star / x-2 some more. (Just afraid that it will confirm my suspicion as I am leaning towards buying an x-2 for a bunch of other reasons, but would really like the wake of the Nauti).

Thanks for the info. /Fredrik
Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-21-2003, 2:45 PM Reply   
What I am talking about is adding a little more weight in the back with the flick of the switch. We love the stock wake and will actually ride during the week with it to learn. On the weekends we like to add some weight. I just bought my boat in September so I have not had a lot of time to play with everything. However, I don't think I'd need both the factory and the 600lbs in the rear and if I remove the factory I have less weight and more storage (although temporary).
Old    david_fletcher            02-05-2003, 6:37 PM Reply   
Where can you get sacks that will plug into the factory plumming
Old     (xbrdr1)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-06-2003, 5:41 AM Reply   
Sacs are the way to go. Don't have to fill up if you don't want...but it's there if you need it! Plus, you get complete storage when drained.
Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-06-2003, 8:30 AM Reply   
JK, do you have this setup? If so would you send a few pics?
Old     (xbrdr1)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-06-2003, 9:53 AM Reply   
About finished with the install. I comtemplated about tanks or sacs. I would rather have the option to adjust the size rather than throwing lead/sand/etc... Isn't this why we build these things...to eliminate that crap???
The Ballast Puppy in a 2000XStar. Center drain pickup, Manual Valve into the boat, 3 12VDC Sprinkler Solenoid Valves (Very slick..work both directions)to divert water to/fro 2 back sacs, 2 front sacs.
3/4"ID reinforced hosing, barbed fittings with clamps.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-06-2003, 10:13 AM Reply   
JK - can you send me the pics too? i am trying to decide on what i want to do.

john- you decided your exact setup yet?
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-07-2003, 1:25 PM Reply   
Here are some pics for you all.

I put in side sacks since I not don't need a super huge wake, and thats what I had on hand ~300# each. Mainly wanted storage for boards going to and from the lake. There were large sacks in there when the dealer towed some INT competitions. they would put large sacks in the rear and side sack in the bow. The sacks take their shape when full so they don't really put any pressure on the walls.

I use 1" barb fittings in the sacks. The clear 1"hose allows me to see if the pumps are running and gave a little extra reach to pick-up the stock hose. Lots of room in there.

Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-07-2003, 1:52 PM Reply   
does anyone see a problem with the setup that airfreak has here WITH A PHATBOY (250 lb) ON TOP OF THAT????? i was thinking i would do his exact setup but have it split so that i could fill another fat sac on top of that for those days i wanted a bigger wake
Old    cuteguy            02-07-2003, 11:23 PM Reply   
airfreak, When you fill your sacs can you still access your oar.
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-09-2003, 6:22 PM Reply   
Jack,
I think I can get to the oar. You can roll the side sack over to one side enough to get to it, I think. A large sack might make it a little tighter. I hope to put some straps where the tanks mounter to hang the oar from :-) May be a couple of small fishing rods for break time :-)
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-09-2003, 6:29 PM Reply   
that set-up looks good.