Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 20, 2007

Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-01-2007, 8:58 PM Reply   
I'm looking to buy a fat sac or two for my I/O, probably for under the rear seat or in the ski locker (or maybe both). I've never had any experience with extra ballast, so any recomendations on what brand, what pump, and what size would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Marshall
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-01-2007, 9:04 PM Reply   
Launch is a good brand.
Buy the Uber pump, then just look at their sacs [] and decide which measurements are right for you.

DONT get ones with covers because theyre a pain in the arse

you want your boat to be wieghted 40% in front and 60% in back unless you like your wake more nautiqui, in which case put more weight in back or if you like a rampier wake, a little more in front.

weight in FRONT shapes, hardens but will make the wake rampy without enough weight in back

weight in BACK creates a skinier, more inverted wake, but without weight in front, will create a soft mushy wake

WARNING
fat sacs will hurt MPG.

other than that you should be good.
Old     (forenku)      Join Date: May 2007       06-02-2007, 6:28 AM Reply   
I have an I/O also and had got some advice from some great people on here. I ended up buying one launch pad single 440 block and the 250 captains chair and they work great. I have the 440 up on the floor in the front of the bow and the chair towards the middle back. In my boat everybody wants to sit in the back and watch so I never had any weight up front. I have noticed a huge difference. When you are riding, have the driver raise the trim up, that will help out a lot if you are not already doing it. The wake still won't be like a MC but it will be a lot better with the extra weight and you should have a lot more fun
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-02-2007, 9:52 AM Reply   
Tommy is on the right page. I have to do the same thing with my I/O. We have 2 500lb sacks and a 250lb sack. We generlaly filly a 500lb up to about 350-400 and throw it in the cuddy. Then if we are feeling dangerous or have only driver and spotter we will put the 250 in front of the engine in back. Weighting the front seems to work the best over weight in the back though.
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-02-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
www.fatsac.com by far the best sacs on the market. they are alot thicker than the rest so you don't have to worry about popping them, all my old sacs leaked and got holes from normal usage because they were too thin.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-02-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
Another vote for Fat Sacs, by far the best IMO.
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-02-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
FlyHigh with the Tsunami pumps!
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-02-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm gonna go with the Fat Sacs, but one more question. I'm not quite Mr. Moneybags (I'm a high school student), and can probably only get one, would it be more effective to get one in the ski locker or under the rear seat?

Thanks
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-02-2007, 3:04 PM Reply   
If you have no ballast right now, then start in the back (under the rear seat). Next you'll want to go in the ski locker or bow.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-02-2007, 3:46 PM Reply   
Or if youre low on funds you can use cinder blocks.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-02-2007, 4:42 PM Reply   
i got two launch pad 440's with covers stored inside and only used one season that im willing to let go for 140 bucks. decided to go with a different configuration but like i said i stored them inside so they are like brand new. pm me if anyone is interested
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-02-2007, 7:18 PM Reply   
Being in the I/O from my personal experience, I would go with one and put it in the center of the boat towards the bow. The 500lb's in the rear is going to make keeping that constant speed very difficult. It is also going to make your boat bounce around more if you are on anything but glass. Just my .02
Old     (forenku)      Join Date: May 2007       06-02-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
Nick is dead on. I started with my weight in the back and the boat didn't plane fast, it was tough to keep at the same speed, and the boat was bouncing all over the place. It was much better to have the weight in the middle to front and the shape of the wake was better.
Old     (kaesen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-03-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
launch pad, by straight line are awesome! tons of different sizes and shapes.
www.slsports.com
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-03-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
flyHigh is the ones that we like. Made with white water rafting materials. Caught on to them at Otown. Seem like awesome people running it that are proud of their product.