Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old    wirthr            09-21-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
I'm stuck here. Having major problems with a boat dealer, Hammers Ski and Marine in Rancho Cordova, CA. Has anyone else bought a boat from them? Rather then post the entire account of what happened, I have posted it at http://www.hammersskisucks.com. Please read, and let me know if you have any suggestions. I've already contacted Centurion, they are seeing what they can do.

Thanks for any help or advice
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-21-2006, 12:14 PM Reply   
sounds very similar to a problem I had with a dealer. It sucks for sure.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-21-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
That sucks dude. Guess they aren't looking for the repeat customer. I've had several problems myself with my dealer. They almost act like once you hand them the cash, the customer service ends.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-21-2006, 12:18 PM Reply   
How about starting www.richsucks.com, too?

It sucks to be treated that way, but honestly it sounds like you took Rich at his word for quite a few things. Is he a salesman, or management? I don't know how far of a drive Truckee is, but if it's more than an hour from the dealership I'd probably have gotten at least that part in writing.

I have often wondered how much legal risk (libel) there is in something like this. (Not saying I haven't posted a rant or two in my day.)
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-21-2006, 12:25 PM Reply   
What needed to be fixed on the boat??
Old     (rooster_cogburn)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-21-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
"Go ahead, ask your lawyers..."

That was my favorite part...

Sounds like they have been working you, good luck.
Old    wirthr            09-21-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
The actuator on the switchblade was busted, there was a small hole in the interior, the nav light on top of the tower was broken, one of the latches on a hatch was broken, and apparently there was recall on the tower bushings...nothing major. I also had a 3,000 stereo system going in, but they dropped the ball on that one as well. Unfortunately, it wasnt just rich. It was rich, dave, and this guy wink. None of them are reliable, and dave is just as big of an a hole as rich.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-21-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
I would tell them to keep the boat. Court if nessasary.
Old    fishboatwakerider            09-21-2006, 4:09 PM Reply   
yup contact a lawyer and get your money back. go buy another from a dealer that WILL work with you. Also, something that has worked with me ALOT in situations like this where people SAY they are goin to do something like meet you halfway for deliveries. GET IT IN WRITING, or if you have a newer cell phone with video, click the record button while in the conversation. If they aren't planning to shaft you, then they won't have any problem with the conversations being recorded.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-21-2006, 4:49 PM Reply   
According to your web site absolutely nothing is wrong
Old    hammerski            09-21-2006, 5:02 PM Reply   
Hi guys, I just want to make sure everyone knows this is only the Rancho store, NOT Hammer's in Fairfield and Petaluma. Completely different ownership. It was mistakenly said I was the owner, I sold that store 7 years ago. I called the guys over there and they are currently working to help Brian out. My stores work hard for a very high csi, our service is very good, and we were voted one of the top 100 dealers in the nation last year. Thanks for listening,
-Jim Hammer, Hammer's Petaluma and Fairfield.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-21-2006, 5:04 PM Reply   
At this point I would say that you have definately set fire to the bridge and the fire may spread to any other bridges you might have available. I would not expect Hammers Ski & Marine to speak to you at all anymore. If I was another Centurion dealer and knew that you had a history of broadcasting your displeasure so effectively on the internet I might decline to get involved at all.

I hate to say it but you may have set yourself up for this. I would have recommended taking the time to drive to the dealer to pick the boat up instead of having the boat delivered. Inspect the boat before you hand over the final check. All that gear you were promised? You would have had a lot better bargining position if you were still holding onto a $50K check.....

It is not unusual for minor things like you described to need attention. It is unusual for the sales guy to be involved at that point. Yeah, if he promised then you have a right to be pissed, but on the last two boats I have bought once I pulled the boat away from the dealership my relationship with the sales people ended and I started the relationship with the service people. Fortunately, in my case that hand off was clean and pleasant. In your case it appears that having more people in the loop just screwed it up.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-21-2006, 6:05 PM Reply   
Well it appears that the earlier mentioned website is gone? My boat came from Jim Hammer in Petaluma, I have also had service from his Fairfield store. All I can say is that I have always been treated fairly by the Jim's dealerships. I can be quite picky so if they can keep me happy they should be able to keep anybody happy.

Boat's are highly custom hand built machines. We will always have minor issues, sometimes major issues. I am not sure what the nature of your complaint is but it's unlikely this thread will help matters. From a negotiation standpoint you have already killed your hostages.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-21-2006, 9:35 PM Reply   
Jim Hammer. Why would you want to have your name on a store that you have no affiliation with anymore.Tough deal...
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-22-2006, 6:02 AM Reply   
I feel for you bro I made the mistake of buying a second boat from a dealer who didnt give me great customer service the first go around. I got a great deal but would rather pay more for good service. Just like the first boat I bought, When I take my new boat in for service it comes back dirty ,I find scratches and this last time it came back with the seat ripped. You cant prove it so what do you do? Anyone who knows me,knows how anal I am about my boat and it really gets me POed.Anyway I feel your pain man.
Old    wirthr            09-22-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
I did take the site down, and apologize to Jim Hammers. The BBB had him listed as the owner, which was a mistake. I took the site down because Jim helped me out, and I didnt want to do anything to negatively impact his business. He knew the owner of the Rancho store personally and called him on my behalf. The owner of the Rancho store called me and he was actually a very nice guy. It's unfortunate that the store is represented by a few crappy employees. The web site did what it was supposed to, it got their attention. We got everything worked out, and they are delivering the boat to me today. The owner actually went above and beyond to apologize, and ensure that I am now a happy customer. He gave me his cell phone number, and told me to call him directly if I have any more problems with the boat. My original message still rings true, rich should be fired, dave should be fired, and customer service needs to be improved. Thanks to Jim for helping me get this sorted out even though it wasnt your territory.
Old    ssgoody2000            09-25-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
Brian, Sounds like your one of those people that expect and assume the ground you walk on should be worshipped . You give customers a bad name and shouldn't be sold a boat. I wouldn't of sold you one.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-25-2006, 2:44 PM Reply   
Wow, I am glad I have the dealer that I have!
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-25-2006, 3:06 PM Reply   
Steve, sounds like your exactly the kind of salesman Brian is describing and yes I have never known a salesman that wouldn't sell anything if they were making a buck. Although Brian took it to the extreme, I've been down the same road as he has and more times than not, once you buy and hand over the check, you'd better not have any issues or you're labeled one of those customers.
Old     (wakeboardaddy)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-25-2006, 8:51 PM Reply   
I am new to wakeworld, and have noticed a lot of bashing going on, whether it be a choice of boat, a certain dealer, or maybe even if I no how to spill or knot. Anyway, on the dealer issue, I will definately agree some are much better than others. But as a business owner myself I will have to say it is a lot easier to be mr. nice guy and go above and beyond when the money is there to do it. Maybe if I hadn't seen so many threads on how to grind these dealers down to the bare bones on these boats I would not even be responding right now. Admit it now, when you are selling your used boat, don't you want the best possible price you can get? After all, you did keep it in tip top shape right? Just food for thought!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-26-2006, 10:00 AM Reply   
Yep, I can witness that Duffy is quite anal about his boats, lol. Duffy, did you get my message about Sunday? Do you want to go out this weekend?

End Threadjack
Back on Track

Sorry for your experience Robert, I hope you get it resolved. The fact that you have the manufacturer involved is a positive. I'm sure with the manufacturer's involvement, it should be resolved soon....
Old     (cawakeboarder12)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-26-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
Is there a Centurion dealer in Reno? If so why didn't you do to them?
Old    ssgoody2000            09-26-2006, 4:22 PM Reply   
Randy, I'm not a salesmen, I just know that there are people out there that no matter what you try to do you'll never make them happy. Maybe it's cause their not happy. I would say use the boat and enjoy the day.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-26-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
Username: Ssgoody2000
Full Name: Steve
E-mail Address: sgoodrich8@hotmail.com
Last Logged In: September 26, 2006
Total Posts: 11
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-27-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
c'mon Steve...you work for the same dealer group....don't forget how many industry people read these boards, bro....
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-27-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
Hey Steve, you could make us happy. It's simple, just do what you said you'd do. I've had mine in 2 times for warranty things that should have been taken care of with the so called gauranteed quality assurance check and the additional dealer delivery prep fee. You know what, all of them still aren't fixed. Guess I'm one of those customers. Sorry dude, I have never been one to hand over money then keep my peace when some lying slack a$$ can't live up to their end. When your new car under warranty is broken, do you just ride around and enjoy it, or do you take it in?
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-27-2006, 8:07 PM Reply   
hey I bought a an older used boat from them a long time ago. it was my first boat, 87 bayliner, basic boat. the first time it hit the water it caught fire. I used 2 fire extingushers to put it put.the boat was a trade in, & should have been given to the junkyard, instead it was sold to a first timer. after 5 minutes of dicking around w/ the salesperson. I found out how to get in touch w/ Mr Hammer in Petaluma CA. we duked it out over a few phone calls, it was only when I threatened to call Consumer Affairs, the Bureau of Automotive Repair, & take him to court, he responded w/afull refund. Try calling Hammers ski in Petaluma, when someone answers, just casually ask to speak to Mr Hammer. If they say he's not in, casually ask for his cell number again, Like you already have it.
Remember your are still the customer, go straight to the top, bypass all the dumbasses. go down to the store w/ KCRA, or some other news group. I own my own business, & bend over backwards for my customers.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-27-2006, 8:52 PM Reply   
Did you guys not read these 2 post or WHAT?

Hi guys, I just want to make sure everyone knows this is only the Rancho store, NOT Hammer's in Fairfield and Petaluma. Completely different ownership. It was mistakenly said I was the owner, I sold that store 7 years ago. I called the guys over there and they are currently working to help Brian out. My stores work hard for a very high csi, our service is very good, and we were voted one of the top 100 dealers in the nation last year. Thanks for listening,
-Jim Hammer, Hammer's Petaluma and Fairfield.

I did take the site down, and apologize to Jim Hammers. The BBB had him listed as the owner, which was a mistake. I took the site down because Jim helped me out, and I didnt want to do anything to negatively impact his business. He knew the owner of the Rancho store personally and called him on my behalf. The owner of the Rancho store called me and he was actually a very nice guy. It's unfortunate that the store is represented by a few crappy employees. The web site did what it was supposed to, it got their attention. We got everything worked out, and they are delivering the boat to me today. The owner actually went above and beyond to apologize, and ensure that I am now a happy customer. He gave me his cell phone number, and told me to call him directly if I have any more problems with the boat. My original message still rings true, rich should be fired, dave should be fired, and customer service needs to be improved. Thanks to Jim for helping me get this sorted out even though it wasnt your territory.