Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (rileyb76)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-05-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
Hey guys,
My Prostar started running hot, and then would cool back down (repeat this 3 or so times) last Friday. I'm figuring the impeller needs replacing as its been a year or so and its probably going bad. I did feel the vent under the boat and there was nothing clogged in it.

My question is what is the proper technique for removing the impeller? I've never replaced one so I was just curious as to if you guys had any advice.
Thanks
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-06-2008, 8:03 AM Reply   
Either get a impeller puller or take the cap off so you can see it and bump the motor over. It will start to come out then just pull it out with some needle nose pliers.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-06-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
paint can tool
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-06-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
I'll second that paint can opening tool..... a pair of them them works twice as well too.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-06-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
Flathead screw driver and soap
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-06-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
It helps alot to spray some WD40 inbetween the veins to lubricate. Pull the kill switch, make sure everything is clear of pulleys/motor, and bump engine a couple times. Helps lubricate everything.

Also, check to make sure the transmission cooler is not clogged. Remove both end's hoses and feel to make sure honeycomb element is debris-free.
Old     (dgunthert)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-06-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
Ditto what Todd says. I replaced mine a few weeks ago. Couldn't get the damn thing to budge even a little at first. After some WD40 and a bump on the starter, it slid right out.
Old     (rileyb76)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-06-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
Sweet. Use 2 flatheads and bumped it once and it just came on out.

Is there anything to check/remember before putting the new one in?

Thanks!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-06-2008, 1:27 PM Reply   
put it in so the paddles are are with the rotation... same way it was when you pulled it out
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-06-2008, 3:43 PM Reply   
It doesn't matter which way you put it in. The paddles will flip as soon as it turns. You might use a bit of binding lube to make it easy to slide it in place though.