Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (qball)      Join Date: May 2007       09-10-2007, 8:09 AM Reply   
Wow, we came in about an hour earlier

I hope both parties recover fully. We have become very casual lately when the lightning starts by getting}} a few more runs in thinking nothing will happen. This is a wakeup call for me...

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070910/COMMUNITIES/709100323/1203

Girl, dad critical after lightning struck boat
DAILY RECORD STAFF REPORT
Monday, September 10, 2007

JEFFERSON -- A father and daughter were in critical condition at separate hospitals on Sunday, one day after being struck by lightning while boating on Lake Hopatcong.

Robert Tarantino, 41, of New Milford, was listed in critical but stable condition in the burn unit of St. Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston. State police said he suffered head injuries when he was hit by lightning during a sudden thunderstorm.

His daughter, Emily Ann Tarantino, 8, was listed in critical condition at Morristown Memorial Hospital. Police had no further information on the nature of her injuries.

Both were flown to hospitals after being helped to shore by other boaters and treated by the Jefferson rescue squad, police said. Tarantino's wife and a 10-year-old daughter also were on the boat but were uninjured, police said.

Sgt. Jeanne Hengemuhle of the New Jersey State Police said the Tarantinos were on an 18-foot boat in the vicinity of the Windlass restaurant at about 6:40 p.m. on Saturday when they were caught in a sudden thunderstorm.

Robert Tarantino was hit in the head by lightning, Hengemuhle said, while Emily Ann Tarantino was struck by lightning as she attempted to seek shelter underneath a console on the boat.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-10-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
Hit in the head by lightning and is alive? Wow. I too have become complacent about storms, thanks for the reminder that the danger is real.
Old     (clay_fraley)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-10-2007, 4:55 PM Reply   
Dang, its a miracle shes alive, my prayers out to her and her dad!!
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-13-2007, 4:55 PM Reply   
WOW! They are lucky to be alive, I can't even imagine getting struck in the head by lightning and living to tell about it.

Just goes to show you have to respect mother nature.

I wish them both a speedy recovery.

-Dave