Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-03-2009, 6:47 AM Reply   
I'm doing the WakeBoard Stargazer upgrade install on my 2008 Sanger V215 myself because my dealer wanted $115 to install it.
I asked why so much and they said because they drill a hole about an inch or two in front of the windshield to place the GPS module because they believe that by placing it by the dash under the windshield could cause loss of GPS signal lock.

I live in Houston, Texas...so what do you techies think, where should the GPS module go to get the best uninterrupted signal? I live near sealevel so there are no hills or mountains to disrupt the signal as well.

Please let me know ASAP as I'm doing the install this weekend.

Thanks.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-03-2009, 6:54 AM Reply   
Does the unit come with instructions?

Did they ever fix the software in the system to allow it to work on rivers ( bodies of water with current)?

to be 100% certain, use some 3m double sided tape and tape it on top, test it out, then drill the holes when you knwo it works.

It will be ghetto the first time out but will save you the ehadache of possibly having to patch any holes.

Or just ask your dealer to tell you where to drill.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-03-2009, 7:03 AM Reply   
Hopefully Brucemac will be on soon, he has pics. I mounted mine where his is. There are also instructions where to mount it.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-03-2009, 7:06 AM Reply   
Art needs to chime in here.
He went through the placement issue on his D-215
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-03-2009, 7:22 AM Reply   
you can mount it under the dash as long as it is pointing straight up and doesn't have any metal or wiring between it and the gell/glass. i would think in TX you'd be fine with that and i'd avoid drilling a hole in the top of your dash anyway if you can help it. you could always re-route the wire and mount up top if you had issues, but my guess is you'll be fine. the receiver is garmin and works great.
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-03-2009, 7:32 AM Reply   
What the dealer wants to do is place the GPS module 2 inches in front of the windshield.

Just in case I wasn't clear. Any pics of installs?

Thanks for the advice.

(Message edited by scwellman on April 03, 2009)
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-03-2009, 7:34 AM Reply   
How long is the cable? How big is the antenna? You might be able to put it right behind the nav light on the bow without drilling any holes.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-03-2009, 7:42 AM Reply   
the cable's fairly long, but i wouldn't want it on the bow. totally not necessary. like i said, it works great and if you can find the right spot under the dash would work there as well.

pic of mine
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-03-2009, 8:25 AM Reply   
i did mine just like the pic by Bruce. I have never had a problem
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-03-2009, 9:13 AM Reply   
Wellman, I wound up placing mine inside the windshield just in front of the dash on my 215. The puck is set on the flat to the left of center and in front of the dash pod but as close to the center of the dash as I could get it and be on the flat. The cable then follows the dash pod a bit to the left and, on mine slips under the pod without having to cut anything.
I tried it in front of the windshield and on the right gunnel in the bow area. Both worked OK until someone was sitting in the bow and part of their body covered the puck. I also tried it behind the fiberglass in several locations but it was more of a problem. I don't think it would be as much of a problem for you in Texas as it was for me much farther north but it wasn't much of a problem once I could track down what was happening. Mine would 'freeze' the unit and the boat would slowly slow down while the unit thought it was still working.
Sorry, no pic of the location.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-03-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
that's a sweet looking sanger art.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-03-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
Bruce sent you a PM on how hard it was to upgrade from your old PP. How did you get the gauges out?
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-03-2009, 10:04 AM Reply   
hey no sweat. it was a piece of cake and if you have the "magic MC white plug" behind your kick panel it's even easier. pretty sure you do with an 02. you won't have to take your dash completely out, but you will have carefully remove the rivots on top of the pod near the windshield and then the two small black screws under the steering column. it's gravy. if i can do it anybody can do it. i'll reply to your pm in case you have more questions.
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-03-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
Art,

Thanks for the information, I more than likely will place it like Bruce Mac has on his X star, centered with the dash under the windshield.

If anyone else has pics or ideas let me know.

Gracias!
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-03-2009, 2:40 PM Reply   
tampawake, no big deal, but just fyi i didn't get a pm. just thought i'd let you know.
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-06-2009, 12:07 PM Reply   
Placed it under the windshield on the flat part in front of the dash and it works perfectly. It took about an hour from start to finish.
Old     (wayz)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-07-2009, 2:26 PM Reply   
Wellman, longtime no see. I've got my StarGazer and I'm installing it this weekend. Good to see you on here again.
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-08-2009, 1:45 PM Reply   
Waylon,

Good to hear from you too, hope all is well out on the coast, Texas is holding its own. I'm looking forward to using my StarGazer.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-08-2009, 3:10 PM Reply   
Don't drill a hole. Use a vent hole if need be.

My 08 response puck is on the dash under the windshield next to the speaker on teh drivers side. No issues. Most promo boats have them mounted right in front of the windshield. But there is more chance of someone in the bow leaning over it. Same with on the bow behidn the nav light. We had an XM antenna there, and ppl would lean back and interfere with its reception