Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-01-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
Ive never heard of them, yet there is now one parked on my street.

Looked like a big boat, with a very V hull to it, but an inboard with a tower and racks, and very new.

Anyone know anything about these?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-01-2006, 5:59 PM Reply   
http://www.sessionboats.com/
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-01-2006, 5:59 PM Reply   
it was big talk for a while in the boats forum. not sure if people are still talking about them.
Old     (wondermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-01-2006, 6:23 PM Reply   
I new i saw the trailer parked there. What color is it?
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-01-2006, 6:30 PM Reply   
white and yellow, thanks Joe.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-01-2006, 6:34 PM Reply   
WOW, anyone check these out?

Impressive team of riders, and those rear jump seats are crazy, are they legal?

Wheres the wake vids/pics session?
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-01-2006, 7:19 PM Reply   
I own one, and love it. I have the SI, not the XI (the one with the funky seats.) The SI has tradtional vdrive seating, with a walk through bow.

Response well to a little weight, I usually run about 1000. Gets huge, too much for me, with anything more than that.

Extremely well built boat, very solid, and drives great for a 22 ft v drive, that weighs almost 5000 lbs.

I've drive darn near everything out there, and I think it's one of the best wake boats around. I'd buy one again, even if I had to pay retail. I bought mine simply because of the deal.

Maybe now is the time to get a delta crew together for a ride. I'm still hurt, and can't ride, which is why mines been parked. I know alot of people are curious, and I owe a few people rides.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-01-2006, 7:26 PM Reply   
Take out some guys and grab some pics and vids, Im interested in knowing more.....or you can give me a pull after the new year when I move back to norcal.

When you say "deal" what are these boats going for?
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-01-2006, 7:27 PM Reply   
Regal started building them first, and then they sold it off to investors if I remember correctly.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-01-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
Price wise, is where session blew it. New brands need to price point boats to build a market. They went after the higher end, and lost out. If someone was gonna drop 50K+ for a ski/wake boat, they aren't looking at an unknown brand.

This year they have a model nicely equiped for around 40K. Maybe cody will chime in here, he deals them.

I paid below invoice, on an 04 in 05.

Mike, if I'm still around next season, you got a pull. With my forced career change, my wife and I are considering a move to AZ

(Message edited by jeff359 on October 01, 2006)

Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-01-2006, 7:32 PM Reply   
Stephen is kinda right. Regal did get out of the wake market, and the session brand was raken by some of the people who were running session brand. They are still made by regal.

My info might be dated, this is how it was explained to me by a higher up at Session last year.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-01-2006, 7:34 PM Reply   
Ah that explains why the hull looks I/o ish, its a regal hull huh?
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-01-2006, 7:37 PM Reply   
I rode behind one a few weekends ago with 2000 lbs and 4 people in it. I t almost made me decide not to buy a wakeboard boat as the wake was huge....going from the inside out would be enough for many. Then I realized you don't need that much weight ...bonus...less gas. However I still won't buy one.....with due respect to jeff.......the fact that they don't have a following worries me on resale.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-01-2006, 7:39 PM Reply   
NO!! This is not a "Regal" hull. If you look at the bottom it is quite diffrent from an I/O. The hull was designed from the ground up as a wakeboard/wakesports boat. The only thing that carries over to the I/O-runabout heritage is the proping. The prop is geared more towards general boating, and not the hardcore wake sports. Simple fix for that, most boats need a reprop for big weight anyways. Stock prop, my boat gets a little sluggish with over 1700 lbs.

Resale maybe a big issue, no offense taken. But considering I paid about $5K more than a neighbor paid for a Moomba Outback direct drive, I'll be OK. I did a lot of shopping, and couldn't get a striped down vdrive sanger, calabria, moomba, or any other lower priced brand for what I paid. And no offense to those boats, but most are not even close to the Session.

Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-01-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
.......I can vouch for that prop thing......I wasn't impressed with how long it took to get up....I suggested to the owner to change his prop.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-01-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
They were offering a diesel this year weren't they?
Old     (ecoff12)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-02-2006, 7:08 AM Reply   
I as well own a Session boat and love it. The seats in the back are by far everyones favorite and the wake is absolutely huge and very rampy. I have 2 500lb tanks in the back that came stock as well as a 250lb mid and another 250lb bow that all came standard. I have a 10in sub 6 in boat speakers with 4 in boat tweeters and 2 tower speakers with light bar and 2 clarion amps and this stuff all came standard and i bought the boat for $25,000. Anyone can see that for a 22ft boat with all that for 25 grand is awesome.
Old     (reinle)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-02-2006, 7:16 AM Reply   
Im pretty sure they were using a session in Pre Pop. They show guys in the funky back seats in the "back to straps" extras. It looked like a pretty solid wake
Old     (ecoff12)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-02-2006, 7:29 AM Reply   
It definately has one of the nicest wake Ive ever ridden behind. Its wake is very similar to that of a Air210 except that the sessions wake is a little wider and bigger because the boat is wider ans weighs more
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-02-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
I've been told the wake is closer to the current Xstar, by more than a few people. The 210 wake isn't a good comparison IMO. The 210 is steep, the session wake isn't. I've never been crazy about the 210 wake, but love the session shape.

I've driven the X, but haven't boarded behind one, so I don't know.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-02-2006, 8:10 AM Reply   
I have two buddies with Sessions. I agree with what you guys are saying about the wake. It's solid with not a lot of added weight. Slightly more rampy than a 210, but with just as much vert at the top. These guys only run stock ballast as well. If you get a lot of people in the rear of the boat it can get too peaky, but you can easily adjust.

The interior is user friendly and holding up well from what I've seen and the boat feels solid accross wakes. It handles just as well as any v-drive I've driven.

If you want to see the wake - my profile pic was taken behind a Session with stock ballast. Go make friends with the guy down the street and see for yourself.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-02-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
My understanding is that before their affiliation with Supra the Hansen family and the World Wakeboard Center did a lot of R&D on that boat. It is definitely a wake specific boat. I've heard great things about it from a lot of riders. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to hook up with Jeff for a pull (ha, ha, we've been trying to figure that out for about a year now).

Jeff, when can you ride again.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-02-2006, 8:59 AM Reply   
Evan, I've been told never, but I hoping to be able to just get out and tool around next season. No big ballast, or tricks, just carving around Frankly, it's the last thing on my mind right now. The frustration of my injury, is that isn't a well documented injury. Atleast if I did my knee, we'd know what I need to do to get right. All the doctors really wanna do with me is surgery, rest, then more surgery. It's been almost 7 months, and no end in sight yet.

I have a lot of time coming up so I'll be dying to get out of the house. Other the a trip to Parker, my boat has been parked. J Rod and a few others have got me out, which I really, really appreciated. I don't do weekends, but have mondays free now, and 7 days a week coming up in two weeks. Maybe you and JRod could meet me sometime soon. As far as I'm concerned, we could even invite a few more. I got the weight, so sinking it down for a real test won't be a problem.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-02-2006, 9:47 AM Reply   
ecoff..."i bought the boat for $25,000"

Did you buy it new, or used? You got a hell of a deal if it was new. A year ago we were looking at sessions and they wanted no less than 40k for one with a dented trailor. On top of that the dealer was going out of business and "needed" to get rid of it. He also told us that the previous pro shop manager took the boats out without permission and thats how the trailor got damaged. Anyways you got a great deal no doubt.
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-02-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
Alright here is my out take on the Session Boats. I have been a dealer of them for the past year and had many interesting experiences with them.

I believe they have a pretty cool functional boat, but there are alot of problems with the company. The owner of Session has no business in the boating industry. Over the last year we ordered 5 boats. 2 of the boats were delivered but neither of them were what we ordered. We had thousands of dollars in warranty claims (the regular nothing unusual) that have gone unpaid by session. So we as a dealer took the costs of the warranty work ourselves.
I guess I'll make this post short and not explain all of our experiences; so to make a long post shorter, the boats are great boats (but only becuase they were designed by Regal) but the company as a whole has a lot of gaps that need to be filled if they are around much longer.

If anyone has any specific questions I'd be happy to answer anything.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-02-2006, 10:44 AM Reply   
That is probably the big reason not to buy one, and the issue I was and am concerned about. Now that Regal is mostly out of the loop, who is backing them? When I needed parts, I had to get them through Cody, two states away. Thanks again Cody. I Still can't get those damn vents off to replace them with the stainless vents though!
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-02-2006, 11:33 AM Reply   
Hey Cody, I know someone who is selling a '97 SS if you want to come back around to Nautiques... How about a consignment deal?
Old     (ecoff12)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-02-2006, 11:55 AM Reply   
Nick, I got the boat used for 25 with an upgraded duely trailer. It was only six months old and had i think 26 or 28 hours on it and i couldent be happier.
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-02-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
Jeff- from what I understand you are going to have to break the old fiberglass vents off in order to make room for the new ones.
I agree that is the biggest issue of not to buy one, in my opinion though is if you buy from a reputable dealer they should take care of you no matter what the factory is doing. I guess we will see how long reputable dealers are selling them though!

Jed,
I thought I read you had the SS sold. Man I would love to get back behind that. Just if I could sell our Demo Session. Anyone interested in a 2006 Demo Session at dealer cost?

25K is an amazing price for that boat, count your blessings.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-02-2006, 3:26 PM Reply   
Cody is right on many points. Dealer is everything, and Cody seems to be the kind of guy you wanna buy from. Cody is also right about $25K for your boat ecoff. I saw the invoice of what dealers paid for these back in 04, loaded and unloaded. It's no where near $25k.

If Session goes, hopefully someone buys up the molds and uses the hull design. It's a great boat.

Anyone in Nor Cal that might be interested in Cody's demo, I'd be more then willing to meet with you, take my boat out for I ride, and sell you one the boat. I owe Cody a favor. He went out of his way to get me some stuff for my boat.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-02-2006, 3:38 PM Reply   
Hey Nick, the whole story behind that NorCal dealer was they went belly up because of bad management. They needed to sell the boats to pay the bills. When they went down, Session took the boats back and had a broker in Alameda try to unload them. Yacht brokers in Alameda aren't the best people to get to sell ski boats, and they sat. A few months later Session came out and picked them up. Just before they picked them up, Regal was really receptive to low offers, to avoid having to ship them again. Right before they did, I bought mine directly from Regal, they sold one more around the same time here locally, and Barry Poulsen took atleast one (local Regal dealer). The remaining 5 or 6 were taken to dealer around north america.
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-02-2006, 7:20 PM Reply   
Thanks for the good words Jeff I appreciate it. Good luck on the injury I hope it will heal enough by next season so you can at least carve around and get on the water.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-02-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
Lots of good and bad here, Ill have to hit my neighbor up for a pull.

Im all for start up companies breaking into the market and forcing the big dogs to re-evaluate but as Cody made clear.....it has to be the right people.

It will be interesting watching the progression or funeral of this company.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-03-2006, 6:57 AM Reply   
The Mercruiser is a PIG. They need to change the power source this is not a prop issue its a lack of pure power. I drove one with a 6.2 and it took forever to plane off even with no ballast.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-03-2006, 7:26 AM Reply   
Something wrong with that boat then billy. I've driven two with the 6.2, and it's fine up to about 1000lbs. Top end on mine is around 47. Sounds like it's proped to high.

There are a couple out there with 5.7L, i've seen them, even though Session lists the 6.2 as standard. That'd be a real pig.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-03-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
I'm pretty sure it was the prop that came with the boat. This boat had the rear jump seats and tv/dvd a lot of extra fiberglass in the cockpit area, that would be extra lbs.
Old     (ecoff12)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-03-2006, 4:22 PM Reply   
its definately a gas hog