Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-03-2006, 4:25 PM Reply   
I sold a wakeboard on Ebay and now I can't find a box from any of the stores around me to ship it in. Also- no luck at UPS store or Uhaul...
Any ideas?
Old     (h20diva)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-03-2006, 4:31 PM Reply   
Call Delta Sport Boats.... they may have an extra laying around.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-03-2006, 4:56 PM Reply   
I had one shipped to me where they just completely wrapped the board in boxes.. didn't look pretty but it worked!
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-03-2006, 4:59 PM Reply   
make sure you insure it. ups stole one of my boards at the arizona branch.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-03-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
where are you located?
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-03-2006, 5:25 PM Reply   
Im in Milwaukee WI

Maybe I will wrap it in cardboard boxes.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-03-2006, 5:49 PM Reply   
Kevin I have one at my house but I live in California....Sorry. Try your local shop. They may have one you could use.
Old    fishboatwakerider            10-03-2006, 6:35 PM Reply   
dude whatever you do, DON"T SHIP THROUGH UPS!!! I just bought a board off ebay and it was packed EXTREMELY well by the seller. He sent me pic of it right before it was sealed and shipped. Foam on both ends and TONS of bubble wrap. Well mid transit, UPS decided they wanted to do a random inspection of the package and it's contents. So they took the liberty of unwrapping my board completely and then just stuffing the unwrapped board back in the box without even taping the ends. Now my board shows up shattered on both ends and is completely useless. Me and the seller have been tangling with UPS's damage claims department for almost 2 weeks now and it seems as though the seller is goin to have to lose money just to refund me since UPS doesn't seem to care.

MORAL OF THE STORY... UPS SUCKS!! Don't use them, and if you do, be aware that simply because you pack it well, doesn't me that it will show up in the same condition as it left in.
Old     (martinique)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-03-2006, 7:52 PM Reply   
Kevin...if you still need a box I have one and live in MKE as well I think I offered you a pull at one time.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-03-2006, 7:57 PM Reply   
I bought a board of eBay, the seller packed it poorly, it got damaged. After working with a UPS investigator, UPS refunded me the entire purchase price plus shipping ($170). Plus, they let me keep the board, which just needed a little epoxy. So free board - my wife is still riding it. Photos helped make my case. I recommend you take photos of the packing job you do, just in case, and buy the insurance.

For packing, just use multiple layers of cardboard, and if you want to get really obsessive, some foam pipe insulation around the rails and ends, couple bucks at HD.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-03-2006, 8:31 PM Reply   
UPS blows!

(In my opinion)
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-03-2006, 9:15 PM Reply   
all shipping companies have their incidents. I have shipped 2 boards with UPS with no problems (sort of) the idiots that work at the store gave me a quote that was way cheaper than it would actually cost, so i lost out on like 40 bucks. But as far as the shipping goes ther was no problem. Boxes have been a problem for me too, the first board I just paid the money to have UPS make a box for it. The second time I went to a storage place where they have all sorts of box sizes. I got a bunch of bubble wrap and tape and wrapped the board first, then I put 2 (made for mirrors) boxes around it and taped the hell out of it. It cost me like 10 bucks altogether,
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-04-2006, 6:15 AM Reply   
If you take pipe insulation they sell at Home Depot and tape it on all the edges then wrap it up in cardboard and/or bubble wrap and it should ship well. Protecting the edges and ends are most important. BTW, ALWAYS pay for the insurance if it can be broken while shipping.
Old    fishboatwakerider            10-04-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
no amount of packing would have stopped what happened in my situation. That and UPS tried to say that the seller didn't pack it at all untill we provided pictures of the board goin into the box, wrapped up tight.

Then all of a sudden it was, Oh we did a random package inspection during transit. But they denied unwrapping the board.... but then if they are the only ones who opened it mid-transit... who ELSE would have openened and unwrapped it?

Also, we payed for insurance and UPS is still trying to dick us around and not cover it. My seller luckily has started to put some serious weight on them since his wife is an attorney, and I think we might have some light in sight at the end of the tunnel.

Point is... UPS still sucks!! Any company that tries to put the blame of their own employees onto the seller is an absolute sham. And it's rediculous that we had to show them pictures to PROVE that the board was wrapped and packed correctly before they would admit that it was opened by their employees before it got to me.

(Message edited by fishboatwakerider on October 04, 2006)
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-04-2006, 12:13 PM Reply   
Roy, I suggest you ask that your case be referred immediately to a UPS investigator, if it is not already. In my case, the investigator had the authority to make things happen, which she did, and to my benefit as I posted previously. Regular customer service reps are not the ones you want to be dealing with.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-04-2006, 12:17 PM Reply   
Protecting the edges is key. A board Squid sent me had the edges protected and he shipped it in an unfolded box and it worked great. BTW thanks squid, the board is sweet.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-04-2006, 12:50 PM Reply   
Ya we stopped using UPS and switched over to DHL at my shop and have been very happy with DHL. We were never happy with UPS, problems from the get go and way to many problems. We have been with DHL for over a year and have had ZERO problems.
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-04-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
My shop was out of board boxes and I picked up a bicycle box that would work from a bike shop. Just need a bit more filler.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-04-2006, 2:53 PM Reply   
kevin,
it is usually cheaper to ship if you can find an actual box for the board. I have done both and paid almost twice as much with my homemade cardboard wrap then I did when I stopped by redline and got an old box from them.

Most shops keep some boxes laying around in their storage just in case they need to ship it for whatever reason!
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-04-2006, 5:10 PM Reply   
Well, I shipped it out today via the only place that I could durring business hours. (The recipient is giving the board as a gift so i figured I could hurry). I used lots of tape (2 rolls) lots o' bubble wrap and cardboard. The lady said it was a fantastic job....hopefully it goes over well