Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       08-01-2011, 3:04 PM Reply   
These are for my 2008 X15. I need one tower and one in boat. They are 7.7 and both have the independent tweeter and have the tanish color cone. I have sport grills. I can find them for sale new but they are just in pairs. Does anyone know where I can just buy one of each? Even my MC dealer said pair only??
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-01-2011, 3:15 PM Reply   
Are the tower and the in-boat the same speakers? If so, that sounds like a pair to me or am I missing something?
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       08-01-2011, 4:31 PM Reply   
no they are not the same
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-01-2011, 4:58 PM Reply   
I would contact JL directly if you don't have a shop. Audio and boat dealers is kind of a crap shoot most don't know much about it, so I'm sure JL would understand and at least point you to an audio dealer.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-01-2011, 5:14 PM Reply   
The difference might only be the tweeter which you can buy separately. That would give you one spare. I suggest you buy them in such a way that you end up with a spare tower tweeter.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       08-01-2011, 5:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeski View Post
The difference might only be the tweeter which you can buy separately. That would give you one spare. I suggest you buy them in such a way that you end up with a spare tower tweeter.
Do you know if it is just the tweeter because those are fine.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-01-2011, 5:51 PM Reply   
Check out the clearance section since the previous model is listed at less than half price.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       08-01-2011, 6:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e_m View Post
Check out the clearance section since the previous model is listed at less than half price.

David
Earmark Marine
Thanks! Do you know if the tower model M770 TCS will also work in the boat?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-01-2011, 6:36 PM Reply   
The tweeters are the same and interchangeable but the midbass drivers are definitely not.
The 'T' (tower) designation is for an 'acoustic suspension' speaker that is highly dependent on the small sealed pod for properly damping the 7.7" midbass. The 'C' (cockpit) designation is for an infinite baffle 7.7" that is self-damped and is intented for the highly compliant and expansive air mass of a coaming/gunnel cavity. While they appear identical, they are constructed very differently.
If you put the 'C' version in a tower pod the resonance will be inordinately high and you will miss out on what is normally very extended midbass. If you put the 'T' version in the coaming you are sacrificing tight midbass and losing alot of power handling.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (99air)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-02-2011, 4:27 AM Reply   
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_m...-speakers.html
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       08-02-2011, 9:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e_m View Post
The tweeters are the same and interchangeable but the midbass drivers are definitely not.
The 'T' (tower) designation is for an 'acoustic suspension' speaker that is highly dependent on the small sealed pod for properly damping the 7.7" midbass. The 'C' (cockpit) designation is for an infinite baffle 7.7" that is self-damped and is intented for the highly compliant and expansive air mass of a coaming/gunnel cavity. While they appear identical, they are constructed very differently.
If you put the 'C' version in a tower pod the resonance will be inordinately high and you will miss out on what is normally very extended midbass. If you put the 'T' version in the coaming you are sacrificing tight midbass and losing alot of power handling.

David
Earmark Marine
thank you. if you get more in under clearence please let me know if you can.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       08-02-2011, 9:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99air View Post
thanks, don't have the color I need but I will keep checking.
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-02-2011, 10:52 AM Reply   
David, I've always wondered how those JL tower speakers would sound in the small cups you sell for the in boat speakers. Have you ever given those a listen?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-02-2011, 11:22 AM Reply   
The enclosures/pods are specifically for applications when you have a fullrange speaker sharing a compartment with a subwoofer or located at the edge of an open coaming pocket or panel where there is little to no front to rear acoustic isolation. The pods are a major asset if they are solving an existing problem. However, there is zero advantage in adding an isolation pod to an infinite baffle speaker when a problem does not already exist. If you had a special need in your boat where the pod is justified, since the pod is rigid, you could convert to the 'T' acoustic suspension speaker to better match a small and totally sealed pod. I definitely would not convert all my in-boat speakers to the 'T' version simply to utilize the pods. Again, these are only used for correction of a legit acoustic cancellation or unwanted acoustic modulation issue.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-02-2011, 5:30 PM Reply   
Thanks David, I do have those issues, and have worked around them in other ways for now. One of these days though I may decide to upgrade things and that would certainly be an easier solution to what I have. Right now I do have some boxes behind the panels which make a huge difference, but accessing the areas behind the panels is very difficult at best.